Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #2431
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board
Default Re: MLB Thread 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
His wife wanted him to retire, but this he got her to sign off on, essentially a year vacation in Japan and he gets to play another year.
They will get treated like gold there.

I was trying to find clips of Masahiro Tanka in Gaki No Tsukai Hotel Man and Spy but I couldnt find it.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #2432
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
So Blue Jays signed Munenori Kawasaki....

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #2433
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
I was trying to find a video of Masahiro Tanaka doing a comedy skit in Japan. Its pretty funny.
I don't think Tanaka is going to translate well to the US. His fastball here won't be so special. He works off it. I guess we'll see.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #2434
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hope Seattle gets Tanaka. Don't want them giving Walker to the Rays and if Tanaka is the next Yu Darvish I'd like that not to happen with the Yankees.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #2435
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
I was trying to find a video of Masahiro Tanaka doing a comedy skit in Japan. Its pretty funny.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu6...py-parte-6_fun

Around the middle of the video.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #2436
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's nice of the MLB to institute the bidding cap for Japanese players. I'm sure everyone will be relieved that teams like the Dodgers and the Yankees will save money in the bidding process now.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #2437
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think they are the safest bet out of anyone in the entire league to win their division. I don't think they will have the same competition as teams in other divisions will. Sure Cleveland had a good year and KC should be alright but with my life on the line and force to pick a division winner for next year, I'm still picking Detroit. The Dodgers winning the NL West would be a close 2nd.

I realize this was posted 2 months ago, but do you feel the same way today?

Dombrowski is gambling big on his 5 man rotation. They have next to nothing behind those guys. It's an almost certainty the 5 guys they open the season with will not be making 156 starts again this year. Infante, Prince and Peralta is a ton of XBH to take away from a lineup. Kinsler will replace some of that, but I can't see how they'll be anywhere near as good offensively. That roster is looking more like an 85 win team than a 95 win team right now.

KC doesn't have the superstar talent of Cabrera, Verlander and Scherzer, but that roster is loaded this season. The only real challenge left in front of them is to be better against left handed pitching. Well, that, and a solution at 3b. Cain and Escobar carry some value defensively even though neither one can hit for shit (unless Cain is in the midst of a streak at the plate). Even losing Santana, they'll still be good in the rotation with the defense they have behind them. Duffy is the larger concern. If he can't figure out how to work deeper into games. He's going to Joba the bullpen every time he starts, that's going to be a problem. It doesn't matter how good of a bullpen KC has if they're expected to clean up 4+ innings every 5th day in addition to a regular workload the other 4 starts.

Cleveland would surprise me if they finished the year with a winning record. If for no other reason, everyone below them improved this offseason while Cleveland must replace nearly 600 innings from their 2013 pitching staff. Also, 30-17 in one run games, 10-2 in extra innings last year. I suppose if they find a 2013 Chris Davis in Cleveland next year, they'll be okay.

It's a 2 horse race, but I find myself believing more in KC to take the division outright with the moves for Aoki, Valencia, Vargas and Infante.

If someone asked me to choose a division winner today>? Cardinals. Pittsburgh went to the playoffs last year, but they're less of a threat, in my eyes, than Arizona to the Dodgers and the A's to the Rangers. Arizona is in a unique position where they have the ability to go out and get anything they want/need via trade without having to give up Archie Bradley. Truth be told, I am far more familiar with the talent in Arizona than anything the Pirates are doing though.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #2438
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
It's nice of the MLB to institute the bidding cap for Japanese players. I'm sure everyone will be relieved that teams like the Dodgers and the Yankees will save money in the bidding process now.

It actually allows other teams into the bidding. Otherwise the Yankees and Dodger would post a huge fee, and use the fact the player could only negotiate with them to keep the salary down, and thus reduce revenue sharing, all the punitive salary cap devices. Now the players salary will be higher, because there will be actual bidding. Under the old system Tanaka was going to be a Yankee, for a $60M posting and $15 a year if that. Now he's going to get $25M a year. Overall, the total money will be the same.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #2439
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Under this new system though, the other teams realistically don't have a shot to sign him. You might have 15 teams put in a max $20 million bid and then it's the player's choice who to negotiate with. And who is he going to choose? All this system does is save teams like the Yankees and Dodgers money and gives less to the Japanese team.

I don't see why you think a player will now get $25 million. The bid goes to the team. The player would've seen none of that in the old system. It's not like their value suddenly increases to an insane level like that because the bid is lower.

Under the old system with anonymous bidding, if some team like the Brewers or Padres or whoever wanted to go nuts and put in a huge bid and win they could and would have exclusive negotiating rights. They'd still have to make the bid that chance is there.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #2440
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Under this new system though, the other teams realistically don't have a shot to sign him. You might have 15 teams put in a max $20 million bid and then it's the player's choice who to negotiate with. And who is he going to choose? All this system does is save teams like the Yankees and Dodgers money and gives less to the Japanese team.

I don't see why you think a player will now get $25 million. The bid goes to the team. The player would've seen none of that in the old system. It's not like their value suddenly increases to an insane level like that because the bid is lower.

Under the old system with anonymous bidding, if some team like the Brewers or Padres or whoever wanted to go nuts and put in a huge bid and win they could and would have exclusive negotiating rights. They'd still have to make the bid that chance is there.

There are 10 teams negotiating now with Tanaka. He's like a regular free agent. Yes, there is more chance a big market team gets him. There should be. They can pay more. But there isn't more chance the Yankees get him.

You think Milwaukee or San Diego was going to outbid the Yankees on Tanaka when their whole strategy was bidding huge so they could offer him less and not have the expenditure count against the cap?

This allows the player to get the money as opposed to his old team. That makes much more sense to me than the old system. Darvish got $12M a year in exactly the same situation as Tanaka. That's not fair.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #2441
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...on-ken-gurlick

One idiot decided to only vote for Jack Morris.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #2442
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose

Read about that. Stupid guy, obviously doing it for attention. Is probably writing a book soon and needs to promote his name. Steroids were known to have been around in 88 according to Canseco. Does that not coincide with Jack Morris's time albeit towards the end of his career?
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #2443
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose

It's writers like these that deserve to have their vote taken away and not just letting him abstain. Don't give him the chance to come back. There are far better baseball writers who aren't even part of the BBWAA and yet this kind of attention seeking idiot gets to decide something like HOF entry.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #2444
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
Read about that. Stupid guy, obviously doing it for attention. Is probably writing a book soon and needs to promote his name. Steroids were known to have been around in 88 according to Canseco. Does that not coincide with Jack Morris's time albeit towards the end of his career?
Yep, his voting record is interesting.

Quote:
Here's another funny thing about Ken Gurnick's Hall of Fame voting - he only recently started voting for Morris. Back in 2011, Morris wasn't on Gurnick's ballot *at all* - he voted for Bert Blyleven and Lee Smith. In 2012, he voted for Morris and Smith. Last year - just Morris, no Smith, with no explanation for the change and the exact some logic for Morris (nearly word for word, actually).

Perhaps the scariest part about this Gurnick mess - Chipper Jones was right when he criticized Hall of Fame voters this week. Ken Gurnick made the Hall of Fame voting about himself this week, and that's the worst thing any voter can do. It's an infuriating "LOOK AT ME" gesture that's only purpose is to get people to know the name Ken Gurnick and has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame itself.
http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/...e-s-doing.html
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #2445
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

2014 Baseball's Hall of Famers

Greg Maddux
Tom Glavine
Frank Thomas

Discuss.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: