Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #481
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board
Default Re: MLB Thread 2013

Miami isnt trading Stanton no time soon. They are in complete control for a few more years. I dont think his value takes a hit because psychologically scouts know its hard to be motivated to play after a team dumps all the significant pieces. Now that Miami has been relatively competitive the last 10 games maybe Stanton can get out of his mental lull and actually perform and give effort like the rest of team.

I really dont see Philly just tanking the season and trying to blow that roster up. It's an old roster its not like the team can get much for them. I can see things changing in the off season though.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #482
Rose
nanu nanu

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I like how Halladay hasn't met with the doctor yet, but espn is acting like he's gonna retire.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #483
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
So why does no one point out to umps that they shouldn't try to show up players either? It doesn't occur to that idiot that throwing his hands up and yelling what is showing up Harper????
Lots of umpires are like that. It's just hardwired into ump DNA. Let's just say the games we were playing were fairly high profile as far as amateur baseball goes (on local TV and such), and my pitcher and I got crossed up, which led to me missing a fastball completely and it just drilled the ump right in the arm. This piece of shit got it in his head that we did it on purpose and didn't call a strike the next two innings. No matter where the pitch was. He flat out said he wasn't going to call any strikes also. It wasn't even a secret. Anytime you tried to tell him it was an accident he lost his shit even more.

Ump vanity for ya.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #484
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Any KC fans here? Exciting W yesterday. Hard to believe they could make the playoffs (too early to talk about that anyway), but there are some nice pieces there.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #485
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Any KC fans here? Exciting W yesterday. Hard to believe they could make the playoffs (too early to talk about that anyway), but there are some nice pieces there.
I'm not a KC fan but I really like that team. When they made the Shields trade, I thought they gave up too much, but when you really think about it it was the perfect trade for them - the only pieces they were missing were quality veteran SP's, they got two in Shields and Wade Davis, and it has really made their ballclub into legit contenders. Is Wil Myers going to be great? Probably. But Shields is a borderline ace right now and he has turned the team into a contender, throw in a legit middle rotation SP like Davis and it really was a good trade for the Royals.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #486
SacJB Shady
College superstar

SacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputation

Hunter Pence with 4 rbi's yesterday!
SacJB Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #487
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

4 steak dinners for Andrelton Simmons tonight. Helps cover up Fredi Gonzalez's utter incompetence as a manager.

The set up: You're up 3-0 in the top of the 4th. First and third, nobody out. You got Chris Johnson on deck who's batting like .350, and your best hitter is hitting after that (Justin Upton).

At bat? You have BJ Upton who is hitting .150, is about 3 for his last 30, and has two ugly strikeouts already to his credit already.

The obvious choice here is having Upton bunt the runners into scoring position here. That leaves two cracks at RBIs for guys who are swinging it about 150000x better than Bossman Jr. right now. But of course not, Fredi "My managing strategy consists of filling out the lineup card and hoping they all hit 3-run bombs" Gonzalez lets him swing away, a faith with which he of course rewards by promptly striking out. Johnson grounds into a 6-4-3. Inning over.

Gonzalez is an absolutely brutal manager. The fact that he's got a pretty good club and Justin Upton's month of April covered that up a lot, but it's been painfully apparent the last 10 games that not only is he incapable of making sound in-game moves, his club isn't really sure how to play ball the right way.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #488
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Indians are finally back over .500 and playing well. if we can just get some semblance of pitching, we can actually do something this year, because our bats are pretty live, i.e. leading the AL in HRs.

Reynolds has been a pleasant surprise this year, i knew he could crush it, but he's also hitting .300 this year. and he got the perfect revenge on Jarrod Parker by blasting a HR after he got hit by a fastball on top of the shoulder
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #489
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
4 steak dinners for Andrelton Simmons tonight. Helps cover up Fredi Gonzalez's utter incompetence as a manager.

The set up: You're up 3-0 in the top of the 4th. First and third, nobody out. You got Chris Johnson on deck who's batting like .350, and your best hitter is hitting after that (Justin Upton).

At bat? You have BJ Upton who is hitting .150, is about 3 for his last 30, and has two ugly strikeouts already to his credit already.

The obvious choice here is having Upton bunt the runners into scoring position here. That leaves two cracks at RBIs for guys who are swinging it about 150000x better than Bossman Jr. right now. But of course not, Fredi "My managing strategy consists of filling out the lineup card and hoping they all hit 3-run bombs" Gonzalez lets him swing away, a faith with which he of course rewards by promptly striking out. Johnson grounds into a 6-4-3. Inning over.

Gonzalez is an absolutely brutal manager. The fact that he's got a pretty good club and Justin Upton's month of April covered that up a lot, but it's been painfully apparent the last 10 games that not only is he incapable of making sound in-game moves, his club isn't really sure how to play ball the right way.
I dunno. Despite how bad Upton has been this year and his propensity to strike out, you know he isn't truly this bad. Bunting that early in the game with someone who isn't a pitcher to only advance one base seems like a waste of an out to me.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #490
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Read an article yesterday mentioning that yu has a shot at 300 ks this year. At first I thought no way but then the more you look at it, it actually is in play. He won't quite keep this up but a k/9 of over 14 for a starter is absolutely insane. That's basically kimbrel/chapman territory
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #491
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Braves fan here and I like Fredi cause I know he can manage and had success in Florida even before he became the Marlins manager. The only reason I think he doesn't have BJ bunt in that spot is cause they spent a ton of money on him not to just bunt, but I see your point. I think once Heyward comes back, and if I'm Fredi, I sit BJ for a few games, move Justin to CF and keep Gattis at Left.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #492
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Anibal and Zimmerman with a nice matchup tonight. Thankfully on MLBN!
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #493
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I dunno. Despite how bad Upton has been this year and his propensity to strike out, you know he isn't truly this bad. Bunting that early in the game with someone who isn't a pitcher to only advance one base seems like a waste of an out to me.
If you watch the Braves every day, you'd know that BJ has looked worse than a pitcher up there. And that's not an exaggeration. 0-4, 4ks yesterday by the way. It's not just a result thing, it's the way he's swinging the bat. Missing pitches by a foot up there, just getting humiliated. Laying down one bunt isn't going to make or break his season. In fact it might give him some confidence to see the f*cking bat and ball meet. I know it's in vogue to just let your players do whatever the **** they want to, but that's not managing. And anyone who has watched the Braves this year knows they have had huge problems scoring runs when they aren't hitting bombs and are having huge problems playing baseball the right way. They aren't moving runners, they aren't scoring runners from third with less than 2 out, they are making dumb mistakes on the bases... that kind of shit falls on the shoulders of the guy who is getting paid to make sure his club doesn't play like that. This was far from an isolated incident.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #494
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Braves fan here and I like Fredi cause I know he can manage and had success in Florida even before he became the Marlins manager. The only reason I think he doesn't have BJ bunt in that spot is cause they spent a ton of money on him not to just bunt, but I see your point. I think once Heyward comes back, and if I'm Fredi, I sit BJ for a few games, move Justin to CF and keep Gattis at Left.
Gattis is going to stop hitting very soon when pitchers fully realize he's incapable of hitting anything soft away (which they have began to already), and he's a total liability in LF. Once Heyward is back I wouldn't be heartbroken to see Gattis in a backup/pinch hit role. At all. BJ will snap out of it and start hitting, he's gotta work through this, but that doesn't mean "ok he's struggling so let's let him swing away every AB because f*ck it he's gotta start swinging it sometime soon. Winning games is secondary to him getting to hack!" But the point is, Upton/Upton/Heyward is the best OF they can put together, and once BJ pulls his head out of his ass that won't be even up for discussion.

And it's not "just" bunting. The Mets commentators did this the other night too, scoffed because Fredi pinch hit Pastornicky to bunt in Minor's place. "Why bring a guy in to 'just' bunt?" Well buddy it's because Minor already dropped down a shit bunt to get the lead runner clipped earlier in the game. If you can't get down a bunt that moves runners there's no point even trying it. "Just" bunting is the difference between having 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and two of your best hitters coming up and being 1st and 2nd 1 out and a sharply hit ground ball anywhere ends the inning.

I'm not a huge sac bunt guy, but when it comes to a guy who is not just hitting .150 but looking like he doesn't belong in an MLB batter's box up there (and CLEARLY has no confidence at the dish), it's no question. Move the runners.

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 05-07-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #495
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Some Reds thoughts:
--Zack Cozart is absolutely killing the Reds batting in the 2 hole. How can someone hitting in front of Votto not succeed?! He's so impatient up there.

--Production in LF is not good. This team didn't miss Votto last year, but go figure, they miss Ryan Ludwick badly.

--Jay Bruce may never become a star player. He's still young, but he's bee around awhile, so it may be time to accept that he's gone of those guys who is streaky.

--Corky Miller has no business being on the active roster. Ryan Hanigan can't come back soon enough.

--I'm not thrilled with Brandon Phillips batting cleanup. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but this just doesn't seem like a good fit for him.

--Todd Frazier has gotta step up. Sophomore slump?

--Rotation has barely missed a beat without Cueto. Definitely the strength of this team, and anyone of these guys is capable of a shutout.

--Would it kill Dusty Baker to go out and argue a call once in awhile? Team is low energy sometimes. Reflection of a low energy manager. I hope it's not due to his health problems from last year.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: