Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #91
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: MLB Thread 2013

Love the Harrison extension.

I seriously think we make a run at kershaw if he gets to fa
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #92
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Love the Harrison extension.

I seriously think we make a run at kershaw if he gets to fa
I doubt he makes it to FA - Dodgers will offer him like 300 million to make sure that doesn't happen.

And I agree, the Harrison extension is a great move.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #93
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
There was a 3 team trade tonight between the Mariners, Nationals and A's:

Mariners get Michael Morse from the Nats
A's get John Jaso from the Mariners
Nationals get AJ Cole from the A's

AJ Cole was one of the prospects the A's acquired from the Nats for Gio Gonzalez, so now the Nats get him back, he was the 57th ranked prospect in baseball last year by Baseball America, but had a so-so year.

Mariners get Morse, who is a good hitter - but Jaso is very underrated.

At least the M's are trying hard to improve their lineup.

link

While Norris was not good enough to be an everyday catcher, I don't know about trading a very good pitching prospect in Cole. If Jaso can duplicate his # vs. righties and give Norris the necessary push than it might work out. Overall it seems like it has been a questionable off season for the A's;

I like the Pennington for Young deal

While I understood they couldn't afford to resign Drew, it seems like they are taking a pretty big risk by signing Nakajima; he is 30 years old and is a ??? going into the majors

signing Colon and letting McCarthy go was a head scratcher

but after last season I think i learned my lesson about questioning Mr. Beane
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #94
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I doubt he makes it to FA - Dodgers will offer him like 300 million to make sure that doesn't happen.

They owe over 160 mil for kemp, Gonzalez, Crawford, greinke, han ram, ethier, league, Beckett, and billingsley + buyouts. It's pretty likely that kershaw gets 30 mil a year given how much better and younger he is than greinke. Are they really going to be at 190 mil for 10 guys when they would still need a ss(dee Gordon isn't it), 2b, a starter a bullpen, a cof and a platoon cof???
Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #95
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:

Also excluding team options and buyouts, the rangers have Harrison yu and holland under contract for 14 years for 129 mil total with ogando and Feliz also in arb or pre arb years
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #96
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
They owe over 160 mil for kemp, Gonzalez, Crawford, greinke, han ram, ethier, league, Beckett, and billingsley + buyouts. It's pretty likely that kershaw gets 30 mil a year given how much better and younger he is than greinke. Are they really going to be at 190 mil for 10 guys when they would still need a ss(dee Gordon isn't it), 2b, a starter a bullpen, a cof and a platoon cof???
While I understand they have a lot of crazy contracts, I really don't think they would have handed out and taken on those contracts if they felt they wouldn't be able to retain Kershaw because of them. I guess it's possible he hits Free Agency, but the Dodgers have shown they have deep pockets, and I sincerely doubt they will let Kershaw hit the open market.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #97
raiderfan19
Shazam!

The question is are they really going to be comfortable spending 300 mil a year on player salaries+tax without truly being a great team? I just don't see how that makes sense
Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #98
irondarts

'Cutch is on the cover of MLB The Show '13!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #99
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:

For tax purposes, 30mil is a pretty good estimate for Kershaw. LA is definitely going to be taxed in 2013 and 2014. Here's where it gets interesting.

In a perfect world, Puig cruises through AA this year and joins the Dodgers in September '14. He's a huge investment when you factor in the major league contract affords him a spot on the 40man roster. I don't think Ethier finishes that contract as a Dodger if Puig sucks though.

Beckett and Hanley are no longer the players that earned previous contracts. If either are brought back it will be at a much lower AAV.

There is a lot of pitching in the upper minors. A lot. Theis year's AA (Chattanooga) staff is rich in talent. There is no sure thing, but they've got plenty of chances to fill holes at the back end of the rotation or round out a bullpen.

They'll be able to fill the bench of spots internally or another pure defense guy like Gwynn. Unless it is a SS, or a C, the FA market doesn't value players with defense as their only skill.

2B/3B/SS. I really do believe Hanley and Gordon are the answer at 2 of these positions. I'd like to see them add another piece that has a good track record vs lhp as a complement. Cruz or Herrera could be that guy, but I doubt it. Worst case scenario, one of these shitty infielders (Schumaker, Punto) would be brought back on another cheap contract.

I don't share your opinions of Gordon, and I'd like to see him get 600-800 ab's over the next 2 seasons. It would be nice if he was an everyday SS, but he doesn't need to be that to have value in the NL. Luis Cruz is definitely the better player right now, but he isn't so good that I would mind taking ab's away from him for Gordon. The Giants used a blend of Arias and Crawford while the Tigers played with a left side of Cabrera and Perralta. Gordon's offense is 99% batting average, but this lineup will be able to hide a lot of his struggles. Kemp, Gonzalez, Ethier, Crawford, Ramirez, Ellis is the foundation for a very, very strong NL lineup.

After 2015, Greinke can opt out. He'll be 32. Unless the first 3 years are a complete disaster (injury/Zito), there's a really good chance he will opt out. Enter free agency as a 32 year old pitcher or a 35 year old pitcher?

Even with a Kershaw extension, they've got room to get under the 189 before getting hit with the 50% penalty.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #100
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

RIP Stan "the Man" Musial.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #101
irondarts

It looks like a very strong possibility that the D-Backs trade Justin Upton to the Braves.

The Braves reportedly made a "strong" offer for Justin Upton today and are waiting to hear back from the D-Backs. It's obvious Towers wants to get rid of Upton, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Both Upton brothers in the same Outfield.

via Rosenthal and Olney on Twitter
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #102
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
For tax purposes, 30mil is a pretty good estimate for Kershaw. LA is definitely going to be taxed in 2013 and 2014. Here's where it gets interesting.

In a perfect world, Puig cruises through AA this year and joins the Dodgers in September '14. He's a huge investment when you factor in the major league contract affords him a spot on the 40man roster. I don't think Ethier finishes that contract as a Dodger if Puig sucks though.

Beckett and Hanley are no longer the players that earned previous contracts. If either are brought back it will be at a much lower AAV.

There is a lot of pitching in the upper minors. A lot. Theis year's AA (Chattanooga) staff is rich in talent. There is no sure thing, but they've got plenty of chances to fill holes at the back end of the rotation or round out a bullpen.

They'll be able to fill the bench of spots internally or another pure defense guy like Gwynn. Unless it is a SS, or a C, the FA market doesn't value players with defense as their only skill.

2B/3B/SS. I really do believe Hanley and Gordon are the answer at 2 of these positions. I'd like to see them add another piece that has a good track record vs lhp as a complement. Cruz or Herrera could be that guy, but I doubt it. Worst case scenario, one of these shitty infielders (Schumaker, Punto) would be brought back on another cheap contract.

I don't share your opinions of Gordon, and I'd like to see him get 600-800 ab's over the next 2 seasons. It would be nice if he was an everyday SS, but he doesn't need to be that to have value in the NL. Luis Cruz is definitely the better player right now, but he isn't so good that I would mind taking ab's away from him for Gordon. The Giants used a blend of Arias and Crawford while the Tigers played with a left side of Cabrera and Perralta. Gordon's offense is 99% batting average, but this lineup will be able to hide a lot of his struggles. Kemp, Gonzalez, Ethier, Crawford, Ramirez, Ellis is the foundation for a very, very strong NL lineup.

After 2015, Greinke can opt out. He'll be 32. Unless the first 3 years are a complete disaster (injury/Zito), there's a really good chance he will opt out. Enter free agency as a 32 year old pitcher or a 35 year old pitcher?

Even with a Kershaw extension, they've got room to get under the 189 before getting hit with the 50% penalty.
There is a zero percent chance they are under the tax if kershaw is resigned
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #103
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Towers can choke on a ****.

Quote:
Upton, Johnson from #Diamondbacks to #Braves for Prado, Delgado, Ahmed, Spruill

DONE DEAL. Lynch the man
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #104
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Are you ****ing kidding me? Fire him immediately. Ol/Perez/Garcia + high upside low level arm is easily a better deal
Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #105
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: