Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #1216
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: MLB Thread 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Puig gets a lot of the credit(and he's been a monster but I haven't heard nearly as much as I thought I would about Hanley turning back into the old Hanley
i feel like you jinxed Hanley.

and jesus, can the Tigers lose a game or two anytime soon.
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #1217
irondarts

Hanley is beasting this year.

I wanted to add a note on the Peavy trade. I think the White Sox came out well, they get a Top 100 prospect plus 3 lower level players with high ceilings and don't have to absorb any of Peavy's remaining salary, they did great. To compare, look at the weak packages the Marlins got for Hanley and Nolasco based on not absorbing salary.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #1218
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sometimes the save statistic really pisses me off. Kimbrel's pitched the last two nights, and Fredi still uses Kimbrel just because it's a "save situation". He had another reliever warming up and would've used him if the Braves had scored just one run in the top of the 9th, so Fredi is essentially saying that reliever could hold a 4 run lead but not a 3 run lead?

Saves and wins: the two most useless basic stats in baseball.

Last edited by KG215 : 08-05-2013 at 12:26 AM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #1219
Rose
Chill Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
i feel like you jinxed Hanley.

and jesus, can the Tigers lose a game or two anytime soon.
No, not ever.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #1220
tomtucker
Prince of Wallachia

Oh Nelson........ ......will he be back for the playoffs ....and will the rangers make it there without him.......?
tomtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #1221
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
No, not ever.
god ****ing damn it Perez
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #1222
PickernRoller
2/5

15 straight on the road. The record looking beatable.....if only we weren't playing the Cards.
PickernRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #1223
Rose
Chill Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
god ****ing damn it Perez
The last three years he's blown a save on August 5.

You're welcome for that fact.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #1224
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Sometimes the save statistic really pisses me off. Kimbrel's pitched the last two nights, and Fredi still uses Kimbrel just because it's a "save situation". He had another reliever warming up and would've used him if the Braves had scored just one run in the top of the 9th, so Fredi is essentially saying that reliever could hold a 4 run lead but not a 3 run lead?

Saves and wins: the two most useless basic stats in baseball.
Back to this.

Obviously you don't use your closer four games in a row, and obviously Fredi isn't so dumb to not know that, thus he knew last night in Philly if he used Kimbrel then, he wouldn't use him tonight against the Nationals.

So basically a stat dictated how he managed the game, and took our best pitcher out of the game tonight. Instead of pitching Avilan or Walden last night with a 3-run lead in Philly, he uses Kimbrel, so he wasn't available tonight in a 1-run game against the Nationals.

Not that a loss would've meant a whole lot since we'd still have an 11.5 game lead on them, but it still really bugs me. I don't understand why managers let a f***ing useless stat dictate how they manage their bullpen.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #1225
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Back to this.

Obviously you don't use your closer four games in a row, and obviously Fredi isn't so dumb to not know that, thus he knew last night in Philly if he used Kimbrel then, he wouldn't use him tonight against the Nationals.

So basically a stat dictated how he managed the game, and took our best pitcher out of the game tonight. Instead of pitching Avilan or Walden last night with a 3-run lead in Philly, he uses Kimbrel, so he wasn't available tonight in a 1-run game against the Nationals.
As bad as Fredi can be, your argument against him here is really easy to make in hindsight.

First off, it's a lose-lose for Fredi, if he uses Kimbrel he gets bashed, if he uses someone else and they lose the lead, he gets bashed harder.

Secondly, and more important, you don't not use your closer because you might have a 1-run game the next night. All the Ws count the same no matter who they are against. There is no guarantee tonight woulda been a 1-run save situation. You take them one at a time and play to win the game you're playing that day as long as you're not jeopardizing the health of a player in the longterm. For all anyone knew yesterday it coulda been a 5 run game either way tonight and you'd never have brought up how he coulda used Kimbrel today instead of yesterday.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #1226
KG215

It doesn't have anything to do with hindsight in this instance. I made a post about it and complained last night after we beat the Phillies. I knew there was a better than good chance tonight's game against Washington wouldn't provide a save situation. It would've just been nice to go into this series with Kimbrel having a day off and available for all 3 games if needed.

It had more to do with using him for a third straight game in a 3-run game than anything else. I mean we've got one of the best bullpens in baseball and there are several other pitchers that would've been more than capable of closing that particular game against a woeful, injury depleted Phillies lineup.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #1227
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
It doesn't have anything to do with hindsight in this instance. I made a post about it and complained last night after we beat the Phillies. I knew there was a better than good chance tonight's game against Washington wouldn't provide a save situation. It would've just been nice to go into this series with Kimbrel having a day off and available for all 3 games if needed.
Right, your OP was fine, but then you make the next post about how he coulda been 'saved' for a tight game against the Nats. It doesn't work like that, you play one game at a time. If you wanna bash Fredi for using Kimbrel in a 3-run game for the 3rd night in a row on the basis of that itself, ok, you got no argument from me, but once you start comparing using him in tonight's 1-run game that nobody could predict happening to last night, and that's where you lose me completely. You can't think like that.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #1228
BoogieWoogieMan
BTE Prophet

Quote:
The highest-paid player left on the Astros is LHP Erik Bedard, earning $1.15-million for the season

BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #1229
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan

Astros/Twins ALCS down the line
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #1230
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

"Mike Trout or Miguel Cabrera II" might be happening because both are once again putting up some insane #'s and are clearly the two best players in the AL.

So far, I think I'd lean slightly towards Miggy this time simply because the gap in offense is quite a bit bigger than it finished up last year. For now.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: