Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Question about Muslim extremists and moderates.

How influential and responsible should moderate Muslims be in regards to the more extreme members of the religion?

Often you hear people saying that the moderates should keep extremists in check (for both their and safety and that of the wider population), but it isn't that often you see them being vocal about it. You might get a sound bite from a Mullah or a small demonstration after an extremist leader makes outlandish claims or an attack, but generally I don't see much activism towards weeding out and correcting this element of the religion by the majority moderate population in the day-to-day sense.

Am I too far outside of the community to see its inner workings of maintaining balance and order? Or does the moderate population need to take more charge?

Or does the media simply shine too much light on the fringe elements thus distorting our perception of the moderate group? Honestly I don't know much about this from the Muslim perspective and only have the media to go on (whose opinion I take with a grain of salt anyway).
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
dajadeed
High School Starter

dajadeed has decent reputationdajadeed has decent reputation
Default Re: Question about Muslim extremists and moderates.

Should a black person be ashamed because they see a black person robbed someone on the news? Or a white person because most mass killer have been white? Do these people need to go in their community and talk to others about toning it down?

Differentiate religious problems from geopolitical ones. Most Muslims aren't even in the Middle East, and not everyone in the Middle East is Muslim. It's a much more complicated problem than that.
dajadeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

I don't disagree with you sentiment but can't it not be extended beyond. Shouldn't we who live a comfortable life at the expense of the suffering and death of others be more active in our communities to prevent such actions occurring???
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
miller-time

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
I don't disagree with you sentiment but can't it not be extended beyond. Shouldn't we who live a comfortable life at the expense of the suffering and death of others be more active in our communities to prevent such actions occurring???

True, but a bottom up approach is also necessary. Members within a group should have more influence than those outside of a group - especially when outsiders are considered at best tolerable or disingenuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajadeed
Should a black person be ashamed because they see a black person robbed someone on the news? Or a white person because most mass killer have been white? Do these people need to go in their community and talk to others about toning it down?

When not talking to them is to their own detriment then yes they do. It is unfortunate but us humans have a propensity for categorizing ourselves in groups - and then we make judgements about our own and others groups. Poor behaviour within a group - even from a minority - can become the basis of stereotypes for the entire group. It isn't just good enough to try and adjust your group image superficially (such as giving sound bites condemning behaviour for instance), you need to actually put some work in on your end.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
dajadeed
High School Starter

And you know moderate Muslims haven't been doing this because....?

I mean, you said yourself you don't really understand the Muslim community.

Do you know that "terrorists" kill a shitload of Muslims every year as well? I'm speaking about the extremists killing moderate Muslims.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
miller-time

Quote:
And you know moderate Muslims haven't been doing this because....?

I mean, you said yourself you don't really understand the Muslim community.

Do you know that "terrorists" kill a shitload of Muslims every year as well? I'm speaking about the extremists killing moderate Muslims.

Hence why am asking the question...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
dajadeed
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
Hence why am asking the question...

Are you ****ing high?

You said
Quote:
but it isn't that often you see them being vocal about it. You might get a sound bite from a Mullah or a small demonstration after an extremist leader makes outlandish claims or an attack, but generally I don't see much activism towards weeding out and correcting this element of the religion by the majority moderate population in the day-to-day sense.

So, since you say you don't know anything about Muslims and those countries with terrorists in them, how can you say the moderates aren't trying to do anything about it in a day to day sense?

You're just talking out of your ass.

And as far as the media, you need to use the internet to your advantage and realize that you have access to papers and new from around the world. You can get your news directly from the same source as people in pretty much any country in the world. All you have to do is just take the time and research it a bit. You might even find an answer to your question.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
longtime lurker

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

How often do moderate reasonable Americans speak keep the ignorant, extreme retarded ones in check? As with anything it's often the loudest that get the most attention, but this doesn't make it so. And besides even if moderate Muslims were to take a strong stance against extremists do you really expect the Western media to cover it?
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
How often do moderate reasonable Americans speak keep the ignorant, extreme retarded ones in check? As with anything it's often the loudest that get the most attention, but this doesn't make it so. And besides even if moderate Muslims were to take a strong stance against extremists do you really expect the Western media to cover it?
this. Are all baptists responsible fore the idiocy of the westboro baptist church?
boozehound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
miller-time

Quote:
Are you ****ing high?

You said

So, since you say you don't know anything about Muslims and those countries with terrorists in them, how can you say the moderates aren't trying to do anything about it in a day to day sense?

You're just talking out of your ass.

And as far as the media, you need to use the internet to your advantage and realize that you have access to papers and new from around the world. You can get your news directly from the same source as people in pretty much any country in the world. All you have to do is just take the time and research it a bit. You might even find an answer to your question.

I also said

Quote:
Or does the media simply shine too much light on the fringe elements thus distorting our perception of the moderate group? Honestly I don't know much about this from the Muslim perspective and only have the media to go on (whose opinion I take with a grain of salt anyway).

I specifically asked if the media only covers certain elements and wanted the opinion of people who might know more than me.

I never made a claim about anything Muslims may or may not doing, I only said what I've seen them doing in the media. How am I talking out of my ass? I can only report what I've seen, and I am asking how reliable my perception is, and for counter opinions. This is a discussion board, the point is to engage in conversation by asking people about their perceptions and beliefs about a certain topic.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster

I don't think moderate Muslims associate themselves with extremists.

Just like I don't think Christians associate themselves with Westboro Baptist Church. Or Mormon or even Catholics.

Neither do Germans associate themselves with Nazi and Jew hating groups.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #12
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Just an observation I've noticed about the OP:

The OP is and always has been very honest and open about their non-belief and disapproval of religion (all kinds) ... however ... this thread clearly demonstrates that religion (of all kinds, but most notably Christianity) is very often at the forefront of their brain/thoughts/mind, etc ... and why, exactly?

It's my opinion that the OP (just like millions, if not billions of us across the planet) is mentally engulfed with what some refer to as the "God complex" ... because you can say all day long you don't believe in God/Creator, etc ... but that doesn't mean you entirely never think "what if" and to some degree, YOU DO BELIEVE there may be a God/Creator, etc.

... and there's nothing wrong with that. God is always on your mind miller. Always. The likewise threads you create here from time to time + the comments you make in religious oriented threads clearly demonstrates you are always thinking of Him. It may not be exactly ideal for what your Heavenly Father wants, but it's a start nonetheless.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #13
miller-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
... and there's nothing wrong with that. God is always on your mind miller. Always. The likewise threads you create here from time to time + the comments you make in religious oriented threads clearly demonstrates you are always thinking of Him. It may not be exactly ideal for what your Heavenly Father wants, but it's a start nonetheless.

Well I don't think my posting on this forum is very reflective of who I am in real life.

This place is almost entirely the only place I have religious conversations. What is good about message boards is that you can throw a line out and if someone is interested they can respond or not (and vice versa). I'm not specifically debating religion or God in this thread either. It is more about how the reaction of moderate Muslims towards extremist behaviour is portrayed in the media. Mainly because I read this article before - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226551484704

I didn't have God rattling around in my mind, I happened upon an article and I wanted peoples opinions on this sort of thing. I didn't think the story itself was that interesting, I just wanted to understand the larger relationship between the two groups.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #14
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

btw millions of moderates are fighting extremist elements, an example is the weekly Friday protests in Mali against terrorist who are destroying manuscripts. Another example is the mayor of Mogadishu and his attempts vs. Al Shabaab. There are countless #'s of moderates who are fighting on the front lines against extremism
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #15
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
Just an observation I've noticed about the OP:

The OP is and always has been very honest and open about their non-belief and disapproval of religion (all kinds) ... however ... this thread clearly demonstrates that religion (of all kinds, but most notably Christianity) is very often at the forefront of their brain/thoughts/mind, etc ... and why, exactly?

It's my opinion that the OP (just like millions, if not billions of us across the planet) is mentally engulfed with what some refer to as the "God complex" ... because you can say all day long you don't believe in God/Creator, etc ... but that doesn't mean you entirely never think "what if" and to some degree, YOU DO BELIEVE there may be a God/Creator, etc.

Excellent post. Not just towards miller-time who's obviously a smart dude, but just in general
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: