Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #16
SmackOrH.A.K
High School Starter

SmackOrH.A.K has decent reputationSmackOrH.A.K has decent reputation
Default Re: Question about Muslim extremists and moderates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
I don't think moderate Muslims associate themselves with extremists.

Just like I don't think Christians associate themselves with Westboro Baptist Church. Or Mormon or even Catholics.

Neither do Germans associate themselves with Nazi and Jew hating groups.
As a moderate Muslim, that is my stance. Extremist are disgraceful and shouldn't be able to call themselves Muslims.
SmackOrH.A.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #17
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation here

I hate that USA term "muslim extremist" so damn much... whatever happened to CRAZY? You cant be crazy anymore? You cant be crazy just because your ideology is something else than Christianity? I certainly dont recall anybody being called "Christian extremist" lately in the USA?

There is no such thing as "muslim extremist", you cant be an "extremist" and call yourself a muslim... not like a religion condones "extremism", especially not Islam which condones the biggest opposite of any of them.... not like those "muslim extremists" only go ham on everybody else BUT devout/moderate muslims... infact they have killed more moderate/devout muslims than anything else... hell, moderate/devout muslims hate those "extremists" more than anybody on this planet earth...

I am a Bosnian born to Muslim & Christian parents and i dont recall anybody calling even Serbs "christian extremists" when they killed as many random people as possible in bosnia, croatia and kosovo? Not even when USA because of this were forced to drop bombs on the Serbs? Not even when USA went to war against Christians (Germany WWII) were they calling them "Christian extremists"................. cant make their own religion look bad can they and blame it all on their own religion? Not even when those Germans/Nazis CLEARLY stated and did what they did BECAUSE of religion difference......

Hell, were the KKK called "christian extremists" by Christians? I cant remember....

DO YOU AS A CHRISTIAN FEEL ASSOCIATED WITH THOSE "CHRISTIAN EXTREMISTS"? DO YOU REALISE HOW DISRESPECTFUL THAT TERM IS?

There is no such thing, there is just HUMANS with a screw loose... and that screw loose would be loose whatever the **** religion he would have or even if he wouldnt have any religion at all.... hell if he wouldnt have one he would be even crazier knowing/believing there will be no consequences whatsoever, what kindof "extremist" does that make him then, an "atheist extremist?"

Last edited by pauk : 01-11-2013 at 03:52 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #18
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What is a moderate Muslim though?

Is it someone who follows Islam but also has a devotion to secularism and individual freedom.

Or is it someone who is fine with the concept of Sharia, but is not willing to kick up a big fuss over it?

Because I think the latter example of a "moderate" is a lot more prevalent than the first one.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #19
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

What's a moderate Muslim? Not quite as Muslim as a normal Muslim, but not as Muslim an extremist Muslim?

Does anyone ever use the term moderate Christian?

Edit: Just realized LJJ said the exact same thing. But it's worth questioning our use of language and how it colors the way we look at things.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #20
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
What's a moderate Muslim? Not quite as Muslim as a normal Muslim, but not as Muslim an extremist Muslim?

Edit: Just realized LJJ said the exact same thing. But it's worth questioning our use of language and how it colors the way we look at things.

reppy: you are one of this board's best posters, past, present and future... and you don't post as often as you used to ... which is a shame ... you're a great poster man, wish you'd post more often. Just my $0.02.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #21
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

We tend to use different language when talking about outside groups. From a western perspective people would tend to see Christianity as almost being the default position so they wouldn't call themselves moderate, they just are. They might still call more extreme practitioners extremists or radicals though (because they have also move into an out-group).

As for the term moderate, I think it would have something to do with the relationship between a persons religious beliefs and western ideals (secularism, humanism etc). It is language we impose upon them, but it coincides with our perspective and general beliefs. I could be completely wrong on that though, I haven't really thought about it before to be honest.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #22
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I predict that moderate muslim is your average muslim who comes and tries to change your community on every level. At least thats in europe.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #23
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
btw millions of moderates are fighting extremist elements, an example is the weekly Friday protests in Mali against terrorist who are destroying manuscripts. Another example is the mayor of Mogadishu and his attempts vs. Al Shabaab. There are countless #'s of moderates who are fighting on the front lines against extremism

I'm just wondering if anyone got a chance to see this;
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/...920169430.html
MMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

As an African Muslim, it saddens me that extremism is trying to destroy some of the ancient manuscripts of Timbuktu. These manuscripts have been around for hundreds of years and are worth protecting. I believe the same thing is occurring in Harar which is another ancient African Islamic scholarly city.

here is a vid of Dr. Hakim Quick in Timbucktu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCl3KLYQYgo
MMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Islam is not practiced in one uniform way, not this singular entity that the media insists on portraying towards the public. The use of the term "moderate Muslim" is a very arbitrary way of looking at things. There should be no categories because Islam more than any other is a religious practice that is extremely personal and manifests itself in very unique ways from person to person.

What we see in the media is a very, VERY small portion of Islam's religious interpretation. The religion has been misinterpreted and mutilated to meet the prejudice of a (relative) few muslims. The voices of these "moderate" Muslims are not important to mass media conglomerates because it does not create the fear necessary to drive their viewership/readership.

Further, the production and reproduction of Islam as something to be feared and destroyed and alienated has existed since the rise of the Ottoman Empire. It is not something new, only different in the mediums that have been used to spread this fear/hate.

I am a Muslim. I have been for my entire life. We are a peaceful religion. We do NOT believe in violence. These "extremists" you see are those who have misinterpreted our scriptures in order to feed their own sick and twisted hatred for the West. (One example; there is a passage in the Qu'ran that says taking a life is like taking the life of millions. Because of this these "extremists" rationalized that it would be okay to take a life if it saves the lives of millions. The majority of the "extremists" you see, their native language is not Arabic, the language the Qu'ran is written in, and have largely been taught the religion by mouth rather than discovering it themselves. That further complicates a religion that DEMANDS that you interpret the Qu'ran ON YOUR OWN)

Frankly, i know the OP meant well, but the responsibility is far from being that of "moderate" Muslims to speak out. The production of fear is necessary in order to keep the wheels of the military industrial complex rolling. War is the biggest business in the world and it always has been. I wont even go into how the US has funded "extremist" military regimes over the past 40 years in order to maintain this status quo. Without an enemy, there is no war. Without war, the biggest business in the world goes bankrupt.

Last edited by Burgz V2 : 01-11-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #26
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
I hate that USA term "muslim extremist" so damn much... whatever happened to CRAZY? You cant be crazy anymore? You cant be crazy just because your ideology is something else than Christianity? I certainly dont recall anybody being called "Christian extremist" lately in the USA?

There is no such thing as "muslim extremist", you cant be an "extremist" and call yourself a muslim... not like a religion condones "extremism", especially not Islam which condones the biggest opposite of any of them.... not like those "muslim extremists" only go ham on everybody else BUT devout/moderate muslims... infact they have killed more moderate/devout muslims than anything else... hell, moderate/devout muslims hate those "extremists" more than anybody on this planet earth...

I am a Bosnian born to Muslim & Christian parents and i dont recall anybody calling even Serbs "christian extremists" when they killed as many random people as possible in bosnia, croatia and kosovo? Not even when USA because of this were forced to drop bombs on the Serbs? Not even when USA went to war against Christians (Germany WWII) were they calling them "Christian extremists"................. cant make their own religion look bad can they and blame it all on their own religion? Not even when those Germans/Nazis CLEARLY stated and did what they did BECAUSE of religion difference......

Hell, were the KKK called "christian extremists" by Christians? I cant remember....

DO YOU AS A CHRISTIAN FEEL ASSOCIATED WITH THOSE "CHRISTIAN EXTREMISTS"? DO YOU REALISE HOW DISRESPECTFUL THAT TERM IS?

There is no such thing, there is just HUMANS with a screw loose... and that screw loose would be loose whatever the **** religion he would have or even if he wouldnt have any religion at all.... hell if he wouldnt have one he would be even crazier knowing/believing there will be no consequences whatsoever, what kindof "extremist" does that make him then, an "atheist extremist?"

The Nazis didn't do what they did based on religious differences. It was racial/ethnic, as were most of the other conflicts you listed.

The difference is these Muslims are doing what they are doing in the name of religion. They are killing "infidels" in a "jihad" they believe was commanded by their prophet Mohammed.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

i think they just use religion as a veil to hide their own hatred of life, hatred that they've been dealt a bunch of sh!tty cards. if they had no religious teachings, they'd still be pissed off. they just hate their lives. they'd rather kill their own sh!tty lives than let you enjoy yours.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
i think they just use religion as a veil to hide their own hatred of life, hatred that they've been dealt a bunch of sh!tty cards. if they had no religious teachings, they'd still be pissed off. they just hate their lives. they'd rather kill their own sh!tty lives than let you enjoy yours.
Wow, that was strong.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
reppy: you are one of this board's best posters, past, present and future... and you don't post as often as you used to ... which is a shame ... you're a great poster man, wish you'd post more often. Just my $0.02.

Thanks. The problem is I rarely come across a thread that hasn't already been beaten to death by the time I get to it. So I mostly just lurk.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #30
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
The Nazis didn't do what they did based on religious differences. It was racial/ethnic, as were most of the other conflicts you listed.

The difference is these Muslims are doing what they are doing in the name of religion. They are killing "infidels" in a "jihad" they believe was commanded by their prophet Mohammed.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: