Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
DaHeezy
College star

DaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Are these legit basketball arguments?

I often see this in the NBA forum

- Player A is better than player B, and I'm a fan of player B

- I've been watching NBA since________

- You weren't even born when _______ was in his prime

Do these posters feel this adds credibilty to their opinions?
Any other posts that make you or ?
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Are these legit basketball arguments?

"I've been watching since _____" and "you weren't even born yet" are valid IMO.

You can't tell everything about a player/team based on stats and youtube highlights. Some people you have to have actually seen to really appreciate what they could do. It always trips me out to see people who were born in '99 talking about Bill Russell and Oscar like they saw them play. "LOL dude Big O could do it all he'd embarrass Chris Paul!! I saw a 3 minute mix of him on youtube!"
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
DaHeezy
College star

DaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low

You can't tell everything about a player/team based on stats and youtube highlights. Some people you have to have actually seen to really appreciate what they could do. It always trips me out to see people who were born in '99 talking about Bill Russell and Oscar like they saw them play. "LOL dude Big O could do it all he'd embarrass Chris Paul!! I saw a 3 minute mix of him on youtube!"

Good point, on that same token these are the same doods who can't submit the arguments used on them.
For example the Jordan fans who use it against the Lebron/Kobe fans but discredit the Wilt/Russell era fans
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I think those two can be kind of valid but I think most often they are not. For instance, I was alive and very basketball conscious in 1997 (I was 13 at the time). Similarly, everyone else I know my age was also alive and in their teens at that time. However, 99% of them (and probably 85% of my basketball fan friends that age) do not have a deep understanding of what basketball players were doing at that time. I know folks a lot younger than me who'd know much more about '97 basketball than the teens who claimed to be big fans back then.

Moreover, I could see some people I know say, "Juwan Howard was awesome. You wouldn't understand because you weren't even alive then. I've been watching basketball since 1995." In truth, that person didn't actually watch a single bit of Howard back then and is not really any more qualified to make a definitive statement than anyone else.

Or, I'd look at it like this. How many people who watch basketball right now have a completely distorted view of a large portion of the game itself? I know quite a few folks, often college students, who become superfans of their university team despite never playing ball in their life and suddenly appoint themselves basketball savants. Their opinions aren't worth much now and very well may not be worth much 15 years from now.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 01-13-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah. honestly in general i think the art of legit debate is dead and gone. This new generation of people 16 and under just have this idea that they know everything about everything because they have the internet at their fingertips. My nephew is 11...him and his friends will be talking about WWE saying "man i miss how things were back in 98" because they watch some Youtube videos of the Attitude Era and now have all these fond "memories" of it.

Or they'll be saying how Glen Rice sucked because they can't find highlights of him online, and I try to explain that he wasn't a high flyer, he wasnt a shot blocker, but he was a deadly shooter...nope not good enough. No youtube videos = not good.

I mean look at the OTC even. Everyone is a fitness expert. Everyone is an animal expert, a political expert, a economic expert, electronics expert, everyone knows spanish, french...because all you have to do is google something and repeat what you find. You don't have to actually KNOW anything until it comes up in conversation, you research it for a second and all of a sudden you have the right to talk on it like you've been studying it for years
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

Whoa kid, Robertson would embarrass CP3 and I was born in 97 not 99 brah.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

One who is capable of making a valid argument need not use these tactics.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
DaHeezy
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
One who is capable of making a valid argument need not use these tactics.

Smartest post ever
Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Dave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDave3 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
This is only ever used when someone is a fan of player A and really wants people to believe what he's saying about the players. Overused and useless.
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

I remember arguing with this bitch at Denny's drunk 3am friday night...about how Kobe sucks and Dirk is a god.

"How many playoff wins does Kobe have against Dirk?"

"Kobe has had superior talent to Dirk..."

It was pretty fun. I owned her.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
I remember arguing with this bitch at Denny's drunk 3am friday night...about how Kobe sucks and Dirk is a god.

"How many playoff wins does Kobe have against Dirk?"

"Kobe has had superior talent to Dirk..."

It was pretty fun. I owned her.
Listen, Dirk is better than Kobe, and I'm a fan of Kobe. I've been watching basketball since 1990 and you weren't even born yet in Dirk's prime. So... I think that just about settles it. Oh, and Kobe played in a weak era.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
LEFT4DEAD
A WITNESS!!!

LEFT4DEAD has an incredible reputation hereLEFT4DEAD has an incredible reputation hereLEFT4DEAD has an incredible reputation hereLEFT4DEAD has an incredible reputation hereLEFT4DEAD has an incredible reputation hereLEFT4DEAD has an incredible reputation hereLEFT4DEAD has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

When I see those sentences, I automatically assume the guy Im discussing with is <16 year old.
LEFT4DEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #13
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

They are valid to a point but you can't dismiss an argument simply based on that fact.

I feel quite confident in my knowledge of the games of guys I never saw based on a wealth of information I have consumed in various forms of media.

It's the details that people are talking about when they say that, but some of us are good at picking out the details without having to be alive. This in no way trumps someone who was there, because they could provide more of them, but it doesn't dismiss the argument either.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
ace23

ace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputation

People realize that full games from the 70s-90s are available to the youth right (ESPN Classic, Youtube, etc.)?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

It comes down to who is saying it and whether or not they are using it to back a valid point. They either can or cannot be valid depending on what the poster is trying to convey.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: