Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #106
Nanners
College star

Default Re: It needs to be discussed. Manning and his shortcomings

this is me and primetimes top 5 qb of the past decade:

1. tim brady
2. peyton manning
3. tony romo
4. joe flacco
5. big ben
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #107
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners

1. tim brady
2. peyton manning
3. tony romo
4. joe flacco
5. big ben

I wouldn't rank Tim Brady #1 necessarily but I definitely would rank Tom Brady #1
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #108
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:

1. tim brady
2. peyton manning
3. tony romo
4. joe flacco
5. big ben
I don't get this regardless of it being a joke or serious
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #109
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
It's the just the term for when a player makes a blunder that costs his team the game in a pressure situation at the end of a game when everything is on the line. It might not be the most fair term, though.
no there are many fans out there that really believe in the existence of a "clutch gene"...as though a QB literally plays differently depending on what quarter it is based on this magic gene.

I understand that "choking" is a real phenomenon, it has been shown that people preform worse when nervous. However I do not believe this exists for a QB vet who has grown accustom to playing in front of millions of people every Sunday. Peyton wasn't any more nervous in the 2nd OT than he was in the 1st quarter IMO...he is a seasoned vet, he has been there and done that...etc
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #110
Riddler
D-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Peyton wasn't any more nervous in the 2nd OT than he was in the 1st quarter IMO...he is a seasoned vet, he has been there and done that...etc

IDK,... wearing that Broncos uniform for the first time in the playoffs could of put a little extra pressure on him to perform well.

It's kind of like sleeping with your girlfriend after being with her for 10 years compared to sleeping with a girl you just met last week. You might be a seasoned vet in the bedroom, but usually your a little nervous when it's with a new woman.

Sorry, I had to make that analogy.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #111
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
no there are many fans out there that really believe in the existence of a "clutch gene"...as though a QB literally plays differently depending on what quarter it is based on this magic gene.

I understand that "choking" is a real phenomenon, it has been shown that people preform worse when nervous. However I do not believe this exists for a QB vet who has grown accustom to playing in front of millions of people every Sunday. Peyton wasn't any more nervous in the 2nd OT than he was in the 1st quarter IMO...he is a seasoned vet, he has been there and done that...etc

Like you said I think it's all about nerves. Some players/people are trainwrecks in pressure situations while others thrive on it. It's kinda similar to something like public speaking where some people are great public speakers while others tremble at the sight of it, although public speaking is a skill which people can improve on given practice and I'm not sure if the same can be said about Football. To be fair Denver had zero confidence coming in to OT as a unit after basically allowing Baltimore to hang in there. It wasn't just Peyton Manning who choked but the whole Bronco team and once their morale is shot like that it's hard to beat a motivated Baltimore team with momentum.

A player like Eli Manning is bipolar in the regular season, has games where he can throw 4 picks but when it comes to playoff games he thrives(Probably a top5 playoff QB)
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #112
Wally450
A Paul Heyman Guy

Quote:

1. tim brady
2. peyton manning
3. tony romo
4. joe flacco
5. big ben

I'll take the 2 years that Daunte Culpepper was good over the last 10 years over Flacco. I'd also put Rodgers over Flacco personally.
Wally450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #113
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Like you said I think it's all about nerves. Some players/people are trainwrecks in pressure situations while others thrive on it. It's kinda similar to something like public speaking where some people are great public speakers while others tremble at the sight of it, although public speaking is a skill which people can improve on given practice and I'm not sure if the same can be said about Football. To be fair Denver had zero confidence coming in to OT as a unit after basically allowing Baltimore to hang in there. It wasn't just Peyton Manning who choked but the whole Bronco team and once their morale is shot like that it's hard to beat a motivated Baltimore team with momentum.

A player like Eli Manning is bipolar in the regular season, has games where he can throw 4 picks but when it comes to playoff games he thrives(Probably a top5 playoff QB)
eh, I don't believe that nerves come into play for any starting QB that has been playing for 3+ years...every NFL game is "A BIG GAME" with millions watching.

You can't tell me that someone can play 16 games nerve free football, and then suddenly become nervous that last game...it isn't like the stage and setting are really any different.

a sport like golf might be different, were the first 17 holes you are playing without many watching not on television even, pretty stress free, but then the 18th hole suddenly you are surrounded by a massive crowd and TV cameras which create a whole new enviornment...but in the NFL? you are in front of a raging crowd and cameras the entire time...there is plenty of time for nerves to settle.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #114
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

You don't believe in the "clutch gene", because Romo is not clutch.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #115
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
You don't believe in the "clutch gene", because Romo is not clutch.
and because there is no such gene in reality...
Old 01-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #116
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:

There is such a thing as certain people being able to perform better under pressure though. Call it whatever you want, but there are people who fold under pressure, and there are people who step up.

One of the knocks you brought up against Barry Sanders was that he didn't perform well in the playoffs. You gonna stop using that as a knock against him?
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #117
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Quote:
Eli Manning

How do you explain playing like ass up until the game winning drives?
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #118
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
There is such a thing as certain people being able to perform better under pressure though. Call it whatever you want, but there are people who fold under pressure, and there are people who step up.

One of the knocks you brought up against Barry Sanders was that he didn't perform well in the playoffs. You gonna stop using that as a knock against him?
read my posts again...I acknowledged that "choking" under pressure is a real phenomenon, I am saying that these guys are under enormous pressure EVERY GAME.

Sanders sucked in the playoffs because A. the competition is tougher obviously and the fact that he couldn't run on grass...I don't for a second believe he was more nervous than usual.

You think the average Monday Night Football game isn't a "BIG STAGE" for an athlete to preform under?...it's a huge deal with millions and millions watching. For most teams in the NFL the lat 4 games all get the label "must wins"...these guys are used to preforming under pressure.

Unlike Golf, where the first 17 holes could be free of attention and cameras, and the last hole be an enormous crowd with many cameras creating a new atmosphere to play under.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #119
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
Eli Manning

How do you explain playing like ass up until the game winning drives?
Eli Manning has just as many instances were he played like ass on the last drive...and great at the start

Eli has finished more games on an INT than Romo has...

are you aware of that or do you just like to pretend he has always been perfect in the 4th quarter?

would it shock you if his 4th quarter passer rating was lower than the first 3?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #120
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

what happened in 2008 with Eli?...the Giants went 1 and out...he threw 0 TDs and 2 INTs

did he leave his "clutch gene" at home that game?

what about 2005, the Giants went 1 and out that game as well...Eli threw 3 INTS...again, did he forget his clutch gene or did he just happen to have a bad game?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: