Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Lakers not looking to trade Dwight Howard just yet

The Los Angeles Lakers have consistently turned away trade inquiries in recent weeks for All-Star center Dwight Howard and still believe they have a strong chance of signing him to a new contract when Howard becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer, according to sources close to the situation.

But sources told ESPN.com this week the Lakers might be forced to reconsider that position between now and the Feb. 21 trade deadline because of Howard's growing unhappiness with his role under coach Mike D'Antoni and the potential that raises for Howard leaving them in July without compensation.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, however, said that a trade is not imminent.

"I don't think we're at the point where you say, 'It's time for a trade,' and a trade happens in three to four days. That's just not how this league works," Kupchak said in a phone interview with ESPN.

-- ESPN.com
insidehoops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Lakers not looking to trade Dwight Howard just yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
The Los Angeles Lakers have consistently turned away trade inquiries in recent weeks for All-Star center Dwight Howard and still believe they have a strong chance of signing him to a new contract when Howard becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer, according to sources close to the situation.

But sources told ESPN.com this week the Lakers might be forced to reconsider that position between now and the Feb. 21 trade deadline because of Howard's growing unhappiness with his role under coach Mike D'Antoni and the potential that raises for Howard leaving them in July without compensation.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, however, said that a trade is not imminent.

"I don't think we're at the point where you say, 'It's time for a trade,' and a trade happens in three to four days. That's just not how this league works," Kupchak said in a phone interview with ESPN.

-- ESPN.com

Gee.......imagine that, they signed the best post up center in the league and then hired a coach who hates post play and only wants to jack up 3's......how could this possibly fail????? Shocking Yes.....
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Gee.......imagine that, they signed the best post up center in the league and then hired a coach who hates post play and only wants to jack up 3's......how could this possibly fail????? Shocking Yes.....

please DK stop overreacting....and blaming it on the coach for every freak post somebody makes...I am here since 2006 and you & your responses are getting nostalgic

Best post up center is in Philly injured and has played zero games.....

Dwight has ZERO post moves. Please dont call him best post up center at all....

ok like you say...he is best post player...but he is 3 time DPOY too...have you seen that from him? the energy...the defense..the hustle..the blocked shots??? have u???

I am ready to trade this mutha fcuka as well as fire the coach.....but ur tune is getting boring about blame everything on the coach
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
DirtySanchez
National High School Star

DirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat cool

I think Howard's injury is worst then we thought.
Lets stop saying best center in the NBA because I think that is over.
Just look at him now. He can't make the same plays...he has lost a step. It's damn sad to see. Still a good player but not the dominate force he use to be.

Or maybe he is playing half ass because he fosrnt want to be here. If that is the case we need to trade him.

This team right now is a lost cause.

And I'm pissed... We all had huge expectations and this is the worst outcome imaginable. It's beyond pitiful.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

As he begins the process of refusing to complain anymore about his role, Dwight Howard wanted to make one thing clear about his Lakers future.

"I plan on being here for the remainder of the season," he said. "My focus and team's focus is to do what we can do to get into the playoffs."

Will that sentiment last once he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1? He could re-sign for five years and $117.9 million instead of a four-year, $87.6 million deal with another team.

-- LA Daily News
insidehoops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster

WOW!!!

I am a bit shocked that this topic even came up!!!!

Dwight is easily the best C in the game... We cannot let him go.

This has to be turned around ASAP!!! DH needs to see the good
side of being a Laker....

I know their trying their best,

and maybe it would help if we didn't talk about trading him....

L4L
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmanfan
WOW!!!

I am a bit shocked that this topic even came up!!!!

Dwight is easily the best C in the game... We cannot let him go.

This has to be turned around ASAP!!! DH needs to see the good
side of being a Laker....

I know their trying their best,

and maybe it would help if we didn't talk about trading him....

L4L

The topic came up because there's a real feeling Howard is gone. This looks like Orlando all over again.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
please DK stop overreacting....and blaming it on the coach for every freak post somebody makes...I am here since 2006 and you & your responses are getting nostalgic

Best post up center is in Philly injured and has played zero games.....

Dwight has ZERO post moves. Please dont call him best post up center at all....

ok like you say...he is best post player...but he is 3 time DPOY too...have you seen that from him? the energy...the defense..the hustle..the blocked shots??? have u???

I am ready to trade this mutha fcuka as well as fire the coach.....but ur tune is getting boring about blame everything on the coach

Ok....if YOU think we have a good coach, That is YOUR problem.
I happen to know a helluva lot more than anyone on here about coaching therefore I am very highly qualified to state my opinion....i haven't been wrong about it. Now when you have coached and won for 30 years instead of 0 we can have a better discussion.
I have refrained from commenting on the Dwight has no post moves simply because i didn't want to call you out. Dwight DOES have some post moves now. This is a huge improvement over the rest of his career, the post moves were always my complaint about him, now he has spin moves, drop step moves and a nice jump hook......THOSE ARE CALLED POST MOVES!!!!! The problem is that 1. We have a coach who is dead set against the post game, he flat out hates it and doesn't want Dwight to post up.....so DUH, it IS the coach's fault....no brainer there.

Is Dwight the best center in the NBA.....absolutely, the Center position as I have been saying for 3 years, is the weakest in NBA history.....it is complete crap.....now you go back to when I argued this point last year, I got nothing but hate.......I was right once again......the NBA agreed and eliminated the position from the All-Star ballot.
It's kind of like saying you are the best basketball player in your house.....Big freaking deal right
So....yeah Dwight is the best out of a crappy bunch.

If the coach told Kobe to shoot from no closer than halfcourt then Kobe would look like crap too. Coaching is playing to a player's strengths, getting guys to spots where they'll succeed and blending talent.
Coaching 101......you're welcome.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Big_Dogg
Dunktacular

Big_Dogg is a pretty well-respected posterBig_Dogg is a pretty well-respected posterBig_Dogg is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
I happen to know a helluva lot more than anyone on here about coaching therefore I am very highly qualified to state my opinion....i haven't been wrong about it. Now when you have coached and won for 30 years instead of 0 we can have a better discussion.
I have refrained from commenting on the Dwight has no post moves simply because i didn't want to call you out. Dwight DOES have some post moves now. This is a huge improvement over the rest of his career, the post moves were always my complaint about him, now he has spin moves, drop step moves and a nice jump hook......THOSE ARE CALLED POST MOVES!!!!! The problem is that 1. We have a coach who is dead set against the post game, he flat out hates it and doesn't want Dwight to post up.....so DUH, it IS the coach's fault....no brainer there.

Is Dwight the best center in the NBA.....absolutely, the Center position as I have been saying for 3 years, is the weakest in NBA history.....it is complete crap.....now you go back to when I argued this point last year, I got nothing but hate.......I was right once again......the NBA agreed and eliminated the position from the All-Star ballot.
It's kind of like saying you are the best basketball player in your house.....Big freaking deal right

If the coach told Kobe to shoot from no closer than halfcourt then Kobe would look like crap too. Coaching is playing to a player's strengths, getting guys to spots where they'll succeed and blending talent.

And that pretty much wraps it up folks.

/thread
Big_Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:

stopped reading right there....not going to argue with u....

Coach is NOT stopping him for getting rebounds
Coach is NOT stopping him to play defense
Coach is NOT asking him to have sh!tty attitude when he doesnt touch the ball.....

Last edited by Lakers_Kobe_Fan : 01-24-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Dwight to me is an OK post up player. He hasn't shown much of it last season with the magic either. He does have a good 2 or 3 go-to post moves. But that to me makes him okay. He's a stellar rebounder and defender, but so far he is showing signs of disinterest. It is apparent that he does not fit, and he does not like it.

If you are building around Dwight Howard, then you hired the wrong coach for the job. Coach MD loves going small. Quickness is what he uses as a coach to his advantage. So why would Jimmy Buss hire a coach like that for a relatively old, and slow team? Also, they are relying on Steve Nash, a 38 year old has-been to be the savior. This is too much to ask of him at his age, which has proven to be unforgiving to him when he tries too hard.

This whole team is to blame for every failure. Not one person, not a group, but everyone. This season is a complete failure.....even IF we make the playoffs.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Dwight to me is an OK post up player. He hasn't shown much of it last season with the magic either. He does have a good 2 or 3 go-to post moves. But that to me makes him okay. He's a stellar rebounder and defender, but so far he is showing signs of disinterest. It is apparent that he does not fit, and he does not like it.

If you are building around Dwight Howard, then you hired the wrong coach for the job. Coach MD loves going small. Quickness is what he uses as a coach to his advantage. So why would Jimmy Buss hire a coach like that for a relatively old, and slow team? Also, they are relying on Steve Nash, a 38 year old has-been to be the savior. This is too much to ask of him at his age, which has proven to be unforgiving to him when he tries too hard.

This whole team is to blame for every failure. Not one person, not a group, but everyone. This season is a complete failure.....even IF we make the playoffs.

Exactly the failure is on everybody not just the coach ... From owner to management to kobe to howard to ebanks...

It just really annoying when for every post u use the coach is bad arguement
Old 01-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #13
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
Exactly the failure is on everybody not just the coach ... From owner to management to kobe to howard to ebanks...

It just really annoying when for every post u use the coach is bad arguement

Bickerstaff was what? 4-1 with this same group right.....

The Knicks all said 'Antoni was the problem

Everyone with any Basketball IQ knows 'Antoni doesn't honestly give a fk about defense nor work on it.....there can be no argument about that.

I don't give a fk what Kobe or Dwight do, 'Antoni's system is NEVER going to get it done.....so if they have given up....its on the coach.

I have been doing nothing but winning basketball games as a coach since before most of you were born. I coach more games in 3 months than NBA coaches coach in a full year. I recently took a team that had won only 2 of 30 games and immediately won 26 of 28.......this is the kind of success I have always had coaching. I know what bad coaching is and what bad coaching is. I hold MYSELF personally responsible for the results of my games, how we play as a team....on down to how my players conduct themselves. The reason we play amazing defense and dominate the boards is that I insist upon it, we work on it....exclusively if things aren't right. My players know that I will run them ragged and be in their faces if they don't play hard every minute on the floor. Now if I was like 'Antoni, they would play just like the Lakers, there is no natural glory in defense and rebounding......the glory and payoff for those things comes from the coach. I treat my players who make plays....setting a good pick, grabbing a big board, making a defensive play....I treat them like they threw down a thunder in your face dunk. It encourages them to keep doing those things, it gets them fired up about it. This is how you lead a team....not like 'Antoni's sorry ass.
As I explained....there is absolutely nothing the players can do to win without leadership and guidance from a coach.....anyone who has coached or played on a well coached winning team would understand this........unfortunately that is lacking on here. Easy to sit on a couch and think you understand.
Oh....that team I took over, they were almost fighting with each other, they hadn't been taught defense and rebounding....nor team play, everyone was out for themselves. I also corrected shooting flaws thanks in good part by a method a 16 year NBA vet friend showed me. One kid went from a 2.5 ppg 20% ft shooter to a 22ppg 85% ft shooter within the 2 weeks I had before our first game.
Now if you look back, I said from day 1 Brown was a terrible hire and would get fired, I said that 'Antoni shouldn't be interviewed and said he was guaranteed to be fired......now when I am wrong about a coach, go ahead and say so.......you may have a very long beard by then.
I have been paid to analyze potential coaches for schools, I have trained coaches, I may be wrong one day.....but it hasn't happened yet.

I talk from experience not from my @ss. I would've loved to have been wrong on Brown & 'Antoni.

Adrian Wojnarowski wrote an article, I posted in the 'Antoni D thread......go read it, maybe it will help you understand.

Blame the players....lmao, again, if they know they will lose because of the idiot coach, of course at some point they will not play as hard....its called human nature.......this is WHY you have to hire a real coach.
I guarantee you, if you start coaching you will learn more in 1 year than you have learned your entire life........Coaching 101....You're welcome

Last edited by DKLaker : 01-25-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #14
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Bickerstaff was only coaching 5 games DK, and the one loss came against the spurs.

Everyone at that point that Mike Brown's "Princeton" offense was gone. Of course they're going to play happy for a little while, until the next few problems come up.

Bickerstaff literally had these guys play pickup basketball, which would have probably given us many regular season wins, but in the playoffs there needs to be a lot of structure in an offense (and defense more importantly).
Shoot I bet they win those games that bickerstaff won if you put any coach in his place, even D'Antoni.

Now as far as D'Antoni being an idiot coach, I would just change the word "idiot" to stubborn. We know that his offense is very good for a team that isn't playing hard. Its not a matter of he can't coach D, but rather that he chooses not to. He feels like his offense would work so well that the D is not only unnecessary, but rather a hindrance to his offensive schemes.

Now later on in the season, I will distribute my blames. I won't mention this now because it is still early to make this thread. Just to give you an idea, all players (minus ron ron) on this team will get some criticism from me.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: