Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default Marquette Will Retire or Maybe Has Already Retired Dwyane Wade's Jersey.

http://wfrv.com/sports/local_story_034125010.html
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

NYKnicks914 has decent reputation
Default Re: Marquette Will Retire or Maybe Has Already Retired Dwyane Wade's Jersey.

already did... I watched them do it against providence yesterday
NYKnicks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Marquette Will Retire or Maybe Has Already Retired Dwyane Wade's Jersey.

http://www.nba.com/

haha you go digging for articles and neglect whats right there in front of you...
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far

BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Why did he get his number retired?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Chairman_Yao
Kids at the park dunk on me

Chairman_Yao has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

In his sophomore year (2001-2002) he led the Golden Eagles in scoring with 17.8 ppg, and also contributed averages of 6.6 rebounds per game and 3.4 assists per game. Marquette finished a 26-7 record, the school's best record since the 1993-1994 season. In 2002-03, Wade led Marquette in scoring again with 21.5 ppg, and Marquette won the school's first and only Conference USA championship with a 27-6 record. Wade then led the Golden Eagles to the Final Four, the school's first appearance in the Final Four since winning the 1977 national championship. After the season Wade was named to the Associated Press All-America Team becoming the first Marquette player since 1978 to do so.
-Thank you wikipedia.
Not to mention an already admirable pro career.
Chairman_Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman_Yao
In his sophomore year (2001-2002) he led the Golden Eagles in scoring with 17.8 ppg, and also contributed averages of 6.6 rebounds per game and 3.4 assists per game. Marquette finished a 26-7 record, the school's best record since the 1993-1994 season. In 2002-03, Wade led Marquette in scoring again with 21.5 ppg, and Marquette won the school's first and only Conference USA championship with a 27-6 record. Wade then led the Golden Eagles to the Final Four, the school's first appearance in the Final Four since winning the 1977 national championship. After the season Wade was named to the Associated Press All-America Team becoming the first Marquette player since 1978 to do so.
-Thank you wikipedia.
Not to mention an already admirable pro career.

So you get your number retired because of your pro career as well? Inlcluding college career? Interesting.

Tell me how many Duke players have thier numbers retired.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Chairman_Yao

Quote:
So you get your number retired because of your pro career as well? Inlcluding college career? Interesting.

I did not say that his number was retired because of his pro career, I simply said he had an "admirable" one. His college career, in my opinion, is good enough to have his number retired.
And to answer your question kind of snootishly; 13 numbers have been retired by Duke, and only 9 by Marquette.
So I'm going to assume you disagree with the retirement of Wade's #3?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman_Yao
I did not say that his number was retired because of his pro career, I simply said he had an "admirable" one. His college career, in my opinion, is good enough to have his number retired.
And to answer your question kind of snootishly; 13 numbers have been retired by Duke, and only 9 by Marquette.
So I'm going to assume you disagree with the retirement of Wade's #3?

No I'm asking what warrants a number to get retired. I mentioned Duke because they have had thier share of great players. Wondered if they too got thier numbers retired ie Christian Laettner. Will Carmelo get his number retired since he had a top 10 best freshman year of all time leading the Cuse to a national title dispite only playing 1 year.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Chairman_Yao

Quote:
No I'm asking what warrants a number to get retired. I mentioned Duke because they have had thier share of great players. Wondered if they too got thier numbers retired ie Christian Laettner. Will Carmelo get his number retired since he had a top 10 best freshman year of all time leading the Cuse to a national title dispite only playing 1 year.

I say each college is entitled to its own standards of what warrants a number retirement, and Wade achieved what Marquette set as its standards. What other player's college jersey will be retired? Tune in next week and find out!
. . .
What I'm trying to say is that if Duke thinks X number should be retired, then Duke will retire X number. If Marquette or any other college in the universe thinks X number should be retired, then they shall retire it.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

I heard when they hung it, they suspended it right over the free throw line.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

It's a lot harder to get your number retired for Duke. UNC retires jerseys left and right for players that had good pro careers.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
Dick Biggly
Good High School Starter

Dick Biggly has no real reputation yet.

Quote:

lets just tell the truth: Its because Marquette is a relatively unimportant school and they'll take whatever prestige or attention they can get. kind of like Miami retiring Jordan's number.
Dick Biggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
Free
Great young streetballer

Free has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by **** Biggly
lets just tell the truth: Its because Marquette is a relatively unimportant school and they'll take whatever prestige or attention they can get. kind of like Miami retiring Jordan's number.

That, and he's one of the best players to ever play for Marquette. Tom Crean had planned to retire Wade's jersey befor he had any success in the NBA, I think being an NBA Champ and a household name just sped up the process.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
krayziejcs
I airball my layups

krayziejcs has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I heard when they hung it, they suspended it right over the free throw line.

Mathius

nash and wade have to be insidehoops most wanted
krayziejcs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: