Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #16
wagexslave
Messiahbolical

Default Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Wow... Tbh I am a bit shocked by this, the Suns aint really going anywhere so whats the point of firing your head coach? The Wizards and Bobcats are still keeping their coaches.
The Suns just blew up the roster this past offseason with 9 new players joining and Alvin Gentry just can't handle this young new squad. He's just not the right type of coach for this job. He wasn't simply fired, it was a mutual agreement to part ways. Both parties agreed that he wasn't the right guy for this team.

He would've been a perfect coach for the Lakers this year though, way more than D'Antoni tbh. Alvin Gentry is the perfect kind of coach for a veteran-filled team, and Steve Nash loves him.
wagexslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
wagexslave
Messiahbolical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic bird
Dang, he was not that bad of a coach, just not the right team for him?

SUNS fans

What coach are you hoping will be the next HC for the Suns? And how is Kendall Marshall?

I hear Mike Brown, Flip Saunders and Stan Van Gundy in the conversation for Coach
I want a new coach that's good at developing young players. Out of those 3 choices I'd probably go with SVG. But I wouldn't mind them promoting one of the best Assistant Coaches in the league to Head Coach.

I would like it if they just promoted Dan Majerle to interim Head Coach for the rest of the season(or at least for a while) to give him a chance to show off what he's capable of, and if he seems to struggle with the extra pressure then start interviewing other candidates for the job. I don't want this to be a rushed hire. I want them to take time with this and find the best guy for the job. We're in tank/rebuild mode as it is, so we have plenty of time... no need to rush this process.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #18
Magic bird
The Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagexslave
I want a new coach that's good at developing young players. Out of those 3 choices I'd probably go with SVG. But I wouldn't mind them promoting one of the best Assistant Coaches in the league to Head Coach.

I would like it if they just promoted Dan Majerle to interim Head Coach for the rest of the season(or at least for a while) to give him a chance to show off what he's capable of, and if he seems to struggle with the extra pressure then start interviewing other candidates for the job. I don't want this to be a rushed hire. I want them to take time with this and find the best guy for the job. We're in tank/rebuild mode as it is, so we have plenty of time... no need to rush this process.

The patience of Pheonix Fans is very admirable

How long have you been a fan?
Magic bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagexslave
The Suns just blew up the roster this past offseason with 9 new players joining and Alvin Gentry just can't handle this young new squad. He's just not the right type of coach for this job. He wasn't simply fired, it was a mutual agreement to part ways. Both parties agreed that he wasn't the right guy for this team.

He would've been a perfect coach for the Lakers this year though, way more than D'Antoni tbh. Alvin Gentry is the perfect kind of coach for a veteran-filled team, and Steve Nash loves him.

But tbh I kinda feel bad for Suns fans, its clearly the owner's fault that the title contender team fell apart, and now someone has to be the scapegoat when the owner himself should be the one to go. I bet many sun fans cant stand this trash right now, just like how we Nets fans hate Bruce Ratner for tearing the champion caliber team apart in 04.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
blackification
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
But tbh I kinda feel bad for Suns fans, its clearly the owner's fault that the title contender team fell apart, and now someone has to be the scapegoat when the owner himself should be the one to go. I bet many sun fans cant stand this trash right now, just like how we Nets fans hate Bruce Ratner for tearing the champion caliber team apart in 04.
you know its not all on sarver this time, gentry didnt get along with the GMs (Babby and Blanks)

I think the next person that must absolutely go is Blanks and I don't want anyone who has been associated with him or is one of his guys as the interim coach. I'd prefer hunter to coach for the rest of the year until we can get someone in the off season.

Also think Gortat or dragic if not both will be gone either at the trade deadline or the off season. A large part of why dragic signed here and took a pay cut was because of Gentry and I don't see him being happy after this and lets face it dragic, gortat, and dudley are the only trade pieces we have. Hope we can package beasley in a deal with any of them for young prospect + draft pick.

I don't complete hate babby because he is just the contract and money guy and Blanks is the one who goes after the "talent". The contracts were reasonable the talent just wasnt what was expected. But at the same time i'd be happy if both gms and sarver were gone its just not a reasonable expectation and i'd prefer blanks leaves first.
blackification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #21
wagexslave
Messiahbolical

Quote:

I'm 23, lived in the Phoenix area my whole life.I've literally been a fan "as long as I can remember", since possibly my earliest memories that I can still recall to this day were about the Suns. I was just barely 3 years old when the Suns won the Western Conference championship in '93 I remember everyone celebrating, then when the Finals came I remember really hoping they would win.

My dad that year bought a couple of collectors 6 packs of glass Coca-Cola bottles commemorating the Suns season that year with Charles Barkley and Paul Westphal on the bottles and we still have the bottles(most of them are even still sealed with Coke inside lol). Every time I see them it flashes back memories of going to the store with my dad to buy them. And I'll always remember riding along with my dad to his best friend's house when I was really little as they would get together every week to watch the games and scream and cheer in front of the TV while me and his friend's kids would be running around the living room playing with toys lmao.

I always considered myself a fan of the home sports teams as a kid, mostly the Suns, but I never really followed sports on TV much(aside from seeing my dad watching it all the time). I think Marbury + Marion + Stat were on the team the first year I really started turning on the TV and just patiently watching entire regular season NBA games. One night I just turned on the TV flipping through channels and the Suns were on. And I was addicted to PLAYING basketball on the playgrounds at school as a kid compared to other sports, so for once I decided to TRULY pay attention to an entire NBA game, all by myself with no distractions, and I got hooked. I started catching every game I possibly could on TV after that. Then I got my dad back into the NBA again as well and we started watching and going to games together(he had been bitter towards the NBA because of the '98-'99 lockouts and had stopped watching for a few years). And there probably hasn't been a season since then where I've missed watching more than around 15-20 games out of the season.

So I'm ready to be a Suns fan til I die. It's just something that's left a huge impression on me as a person and I have so many good memories of the team, despite them never actually getting over the hump and winning it all. For real sports fans it's not all about the finish place, it's also about how much you enjoy the ride there. And I enjoy watching the Suns even though they're bad now. It sucks, but I've accepted that for them to get better in the long-term it's going to take some time. Not every team gets lucky like the Heat and can sign a bunch of Superstars in 1 offseason. Sometimes rebuilding processes take a long time.

So I've already realized that I'm going to have to have some patience and just hope they make the right moves. I think that letting go of Alvin Gentry right now truly was the right move for the team long term, but I'm hoping it wasn't done for the wrong reasons. I really just hope the management takes time hiring their next coach and makes sure the guy they hire is the right fit for the team.

Last edited by wagexslave : 01-19-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #22
hon
DURAS

hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #23
wagexslave
Messiahbolical

Quote:

Also how long have you been a Celtics fan? I have a lot of respect for Celtics fans that stuck with the team throughout the years they struggled compared to the ones that popped back out of nowhere when the "big 3" happened. I hate the Celtics, but I respect them lol. They're a good franchise for a reason, they make good decisions. TBH I don't HATE the Celtics, I'm just still bitter from all of the fights and spit spatting that kept going down between the Suns-Celtics every time they played a few years back(like Garnett punching Frye in the nuts... lmao) but that's part of the drama of basketball and one of the reasons I love the game.

Also there's the fact that the Celtics beat the Suns in the Suns first ever trip to the NBA Finals in 1976. It's a shame we lost to the Lakers in the WCF in 2010, really would have loved to see an NBA finals re-match.(30+ years late but still! lol) :P

My dad still has a lot of love for the Celtics though because he grew up in New England so he roots for the Celtics to win if they're not playing the Suns(just like he roots for the Patriots if they're not playing the Cardinals).
Old 01-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
Whoah10115
Linja Status

I'm really not sure what people are making a big deal out of. Including JVG last night.

Who thinks that Gentry really wants to be coaching this team? Other than coaching his Son's favorite player, what does he want from this team? It makes a lot more sense for him to help out his friend in LA and get another head coaching job later.

He actually has done a very good job with this team, over the years. He's a good coach but this team is in NowhereLand.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #25
Magic bird
The Banner

Quote:
Also how long have you been a Celtics fan? I have a lot of respect for Celtics fans that stuck with the team throughout the years they struggled compared to the ones that popped back out of nowhere when the "big 3" happened. I hate the Celtics, but I respect them lol. They're a good franchise for a reason, they make good decisions. TBH I don't HATE the Celtics, I'm just still bitter from all of the fights and spit spatting that kept going down between the Suns-Celtics every time they played a few years back(like Garnett punching Frye in the nuts... lmao) but that's part of the drama of basketball and one of the reasons I love the game.

Also there's the fact that the Celtics beat the Suns in the Suns first ever trip to the NBA Finals in 1976. It's a shame we lost to the Lakers in the WCF in 2010, really would have loved to see an NBA finals re-match.(30+ years late but still! lol) :P

My dad still has a lot of love for the Celtics though because he grew up in New England so he roots for the Celtics to win if they're not playing the Suns(just like he roots for the Patriots if they're not playing the Cardinals).

I havent been a Celtics fan as long as most of the Celtics fans on this board,

I'm currently 19, living in Sydney, Australia (Where I was born) Lived 4 years in Maine back when i was a kid, did'nt really play sport often. I've Been a Celtics fan since i was about 13, my dad was never really a basketball fan, (More of a soccer guy) so i actually grew up watching an Australian league (NBL), because it was hard to watch NBA on Australian TV been a fan of the C's since 2006, (Makes me sound like a little bit of a bandwagoner) but i really liked seeing Big Al's back to basket game and i was quite sad to see him go at the end of the season. After the 2007-8 championship, i really fell in love with the Celtics team Defense and have liked watching defensive orientated teams since.
Magic bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #26
Haymaker
College superstar

I don't understand. He's a very good coach. The admins. did not understood that he had a young team with no superstars?
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #27
livingby3's
The 1-man fastbreak.

http://www.nba.com/suns/suns-name-hu...rim-head-coach

Quote:
Suns Name Hunter Interim Head Coach

New interim head coach Lindsey Hunter talks with Suns forward Michael Beasley before a game at the US Airways Center. Barry Gossage/NBAE/Getty Images
PHOENIX – The Phoenix Suns have named former NBA player and Suns Player Development Coordinator Lindsey Hunter the club’s interim head coach, the team announced today.

A 17-year NBA veteran as a player, Hunter retired following the 2009-10 season after a successful career with Detroit (1993-00, 2003-08), Milwaukee (2000-01), the LA Lakers (2001-02), Toronto (2002-03) and Chicago (2008-10). A two-time NBA champion with the Lakers (2001-02) and Pistons (2003-04), Hunter’s teams made 12 playoff appearances in 17 seasons overall. Originally selected with the 10th overall pick of 1993 NBA Draft, the 6-2, 195-pound former guard averaged 8.5 points, 2.7 assists and 1.2 steals in 937 career games (438 starts).

Hunter joined the Suns’ scouting department in 2012 and this season served as the coordinator of the organization’s newly-formed player development department. He served in a similar post with the Chicago Bulls following his retirement.

He and wife, Ivy, have three children, Lindsey IV, Caleb, Cydney.
livingby3's is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: