Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

Default Is MTV still relevant?

Serious question...I ask this because you could say I grew up on MTV, I'm in my early 40s, going to be 41 this year to be exact. I saw them ride the metal gravy train and then go hypocritactly and shamelessly into the anti-metal Nirvana/Pearl Jam 90's pay day. You young cats won't know what I'm talking about but those my age will...anyways, there's nothing on TV and I'm watching MTV and it's nothing but stupid shows, no music videos, just crappy reality shows. WTF happened to MTV? Is garbage like Jersey Shore all they have offer nowadays?

I will prolly come off as the old dude who complains about how shit was better back in the good old days, but seriously MTV sucks now and so do most rock bands today but that's another subject...do young people still follow MTV? If you know who Kurt Loder is then you're too old so don't bother answering Just kidding, anyone with an opinion, fire away.

PS, Teen Mom makes want to kill myself...

Last edited by TheMan : 01-19-2013 at 06:05 AM.
TheMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Magic bird
The Banner

Default Re: Is MTV still relevant?

It has'nt changed that much, Have'nt been watching as long as you but it's still the same thing. A platform for pop music, nothing else, nothing more. Last years VMA's with Alicia Keys earned the highest ratings in MTV history. I think it's still relevant.
Magic bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic bird
It has'nt changed that much, Have'nt been watching as long as you but it's still the same thing. A platform for pop music, nothing else, nothing more. Last years VMA's with Alicia Keys earned the highest ratings in MTV history. I think it's still relevant.
Damn , I heard somewhere that MTV was no longer relevant, guess not...just to clear it up, I don't watch MTV on the regular, haven't done so over a decade, that's why I'm asking if youngsters watch MTV like when my generation did.
TheMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

It's nothing like the cultural phenomenon it was when we grew up. It's pretty much just reality TV shows now. Not even sure if they have any music shows anymore.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

There's still some good shows on it. I tune in every once in a while and watch a lot of Jackass/Bam Magera stuff.

Just not the music chanel it used to be. But I am too young for that era, so I wouldn't know how it used to be.
Wavves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Jackass18
The Iron Price

People have complained about MTV for a long time. I haven't watched it in a while. If I want to see some stupid human drama, then I watch, but it hasn't appealed to me for a while. Now that Bellator moved from MTV2 to Spike, I don't really have much of a reason to watch any of their channels anymore. Maybe if I want to watch an old rerun of something.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
franchise#3
Local High School Star

franchise#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
CeltsGarlic
straight from...

Well, I used to watch good shows like jackass, human giant or beavis and butthead but right now it sucks...
CeltsGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
nathanjizzle
life is exasperating

no country for old men.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
atljonesbro
Decent college freshman

With the internet of course music shows on there arent relevant. I still think there are a few cool shows on thefe but shit like jersey shore, teen mom, and real world is just awful
atljonesbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
JohnnySic
green is good

MTV was great in the late 80's/early 90's when they plaed music videos. Then the channel went to hell in a handbasket. With the adventof youtube, its irrelavant anyway.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Rissa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic bird

This is not correct, I read a magazine where it said that 2012's VMA had the lowest ratings in 5 year I think.
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
goldenryan
I'm Back

Teen mom and jersey shore might be garbage, but sadly for it's targeted demographic it does have /relatability. Jersey shore being the east coast and teen mom being the Midwest and south and the other people who just want to see a train wreck and be entertained. Music as a whole has less influence on culture so MTV plays less music.
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
B-Low
The Love B-Low

True Life has some interesting episodes I'll still watch that sometimes, but that's all I can really tolerate these days on the network.

Like someone else said its not the cultural icon it used to be but it's obviously still got some really popular shows whether you like them personally or not.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Relevant to who?

To music listeners or to Viacom stock holders.

There's a reason they moved away from videos and went to shows. MTV basically discovered that moving away from music videos was much more profitable for them to make their own shows and not show music videos. They took the teenage-25 demographic that they basically owned and started developing shows for that market. A market that wouldn't have been profitable for a major network to go after. With their old format of constant music videos, they had an audience that would tune in and tune out depending on the song. Going to shows gave them more dependable numbers for Nelsen ratings.

Also they are owned by Viacom who also own

MTV Networks Music & Logo Group[1]
MTV (1981)1
MTV2 (1996)
MTV Jams (1998)
MTV Hits (2002)
mtvU
Tr3s (2006)
VH1 (1985)
VH1 Classic (2000)
VH1 Soul (2000)
CMT (1999)2
CMT Pure Country (1999)3
Logo (2005)4
Palladia (2006)

So corporate strategy is to have music spread across various channels.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: