Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Flacco deserves something close to max dollars.

Do any of you consider him "elite" ... ? This subject has been tossed around ESPN and other sports media outlets for a good while now, and it seems everyone is either on the bandwagon or not. I think in this case, that "bandwagon" may be on to something.

His playoff record is just mind-blowing, even if you do have the best defense in the league (which isn't entirely true, but they're probably the most feared). There's no way I'd put Flacco on that same plateau as a flagship such as Brady, Rodgers, Peyton Manning ... and some would even argue Eli and Big Ben because both of them have multiple SB wins.

I think Flacco is a better QB than both Eli and Big Ben. Eli is just too Jake-Delhomme-like, meaning hot/cold type QB, and that can drive a coach or team bananas. I think many coaches and GM's around the league would risk max dollars on Flacco b/c he's one hell of a game manager and when needed, he can bomb a 65 yard TD missile.

I think it's an interesting discussion, even though it's been beat to death.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default Re: Flacco deserves something close to max dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
Do any of you consider him "elite" ... ? This subject has been tossed around ESPN and other sports media outlets for a good while now, and it seems everyone is either on the bandwagon or not. I think in this case, that "bandwagon" may be on to something.

His playoff record is just mind-blowing, even if you do have the best defense in the league (which isn't entirely true, but they're probably the most feared). There's no way I'd put Flacco on that same plateau as a flagship such as Brady, Rodgers, Peyton Manning ... and some would even argue Eli and Big Ben because both of them have multiple SB wins.

I think Flacco is a better QB than both Eli and Big Ben. Eli is just too Jake-Delhomme-like, meaning hot/cold type QB, and that can drive a coach or team bananas. I think many coaches and GM's around the league would risk max dollars on Flacco b/c he's one hell of a game manager and when needed, he can bomb a 65 yard TD missile.

I think it's an interesting discussion, even though it's been beat to death.

There is really no argument to be made that Flacco is a better QB than Big Ben or Eli other than a hardcore case of what have you doe for me lately, which shows your ignorance.

As far as max dollars, what the **** is that? This is not the NBA.

He will be franchised and probably signed to a long term deal, but he's not worth a super amount of money. He's not elite.

He has been blessed to play behind a stalwart defense that has four potential HOF'ers and they always come through and stop people in the playoffs since Joe has been there.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Completion rate is 53.9% in his playoff career, elite my ass.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
There is really no argument to be made that Flacco is a better QB than Big Ben or Eli other than a hardcore case of what have you doe for me lately, which shows your ignorance.

As far as max dollars, what the **** is that? This is not the NBA.

He will be franchised and probably signed to a long term deal, but he's not worth a super amount of money. He's not elite.

He has been blessed to play behind a stalwart defense that has four potential HOF'ers and they always come through and stop people in the playoffs since Joe has been there.

Wow, way to sound like a jerk and asshole. I was just throwing a topic out there; no need to PMS like I've seen you do more often than not. I'm not even trying to argue and toss insults around, just wanted to discuss Joe, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm willing to be, if head coaches and GMs had the choice to select between Big Ben, Eli and Flacco right now to build their offense around, more than you think (not saying majority, just more than YOU obviously think) would take Flacco.

There's obvious flaws in Big Ben's game, and he's injury prone. Eli, like I said, can drive you bananas depending on his game-play. Like I've already stated makes a hard case b/c both Eli and BB are SB winners. Flacco has yet to get there, but with the way Baltimore is always in the tournament, it's only a matter of time.

We've seen both Eli and Big Ben be responsible for their teams missing the playoffs; this year to be particular. Ravens didn't play that well down the stretch, but Pittsburgh and NYG sure as hell didn't either, and only one team won their division, made the playoffs and are one game away from the big show.

You want claim I'm just ignorant for even suggesting Flacco being on Eli or Big Ben's level, when in actuality, it's not TOO FAR from being something worthy of being debatable.

You and your arrogant, name-calling, OMG-I-got-so-much-NFL-knowledge simply screams PMS. Why dude?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Completion rate is 53.9% in his playoff career, elite my ass.

Like I said, I wouldn't put him in the truly "elite" category, but how can you really argue against his road playoff and playoff record?

I mean, look at how ugly and broken Big Ben's game looks all the time, where he seemingly stinks it up but pulls a victory out of his ass time and time again. If Big Ben is getting credit and being blessed by playing for a franchise that is built to win titles, then why can't Flacco get some love?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Big Ben has that reputation because he made it to the Super Bowl 3 times. How many trips has Flacco gotten.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Big Ben has that reputation because he made it to the Super Bowl 3 times. How many trips has Flacco gotten.

He's been close, and close again. It's only a matter of time. I'm not trying to paint a picture that Flacco is the next coming of Christ, I'm just pointing out while he hasn't (yet) made a SB, at this rate, Flacco and the Ravens will eventually be the next team to win title(s).

How could a team not be happy with Flacco's winning percentage?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
I'm just pointing out while he hasn't (yet) made a SB, at this rate, Flacco and the Ravens will eventually be the next team to win title(s).

It doesn't work like that. Until the Ravens lock up the 1st or 2nd seed year after years. It's going to be real difficult winning all these road games.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't work like that. Until the Ravens lock up the 1st or 2nd seed year after years. It's going to be real difficult winning all these road games.

Locking up a # 1 or 2 seed year-after-year is just being unrealistic. It's true, for some reason Baltimore plays so much better at home in the regular season (if you look at straight up wins/losses) but they're battle tested, and IMO, Ray Rice is an "elite" RB in this league, and that helps take some of the pressure off Flacco.

(I can't believe I'm arguing for a team's QB I absolutely hate considering I'm a Bengals fan)

The Ravens are already playing in one of the league's most competitive divisions on average (minus the Brows of course, but they're improving too). The Bengals have made the post season two straight years, and you know Pittsburgh will always be in the mix.

At one I know I vastly overrated the Bmore Ravens... but here in the past couple of seasons, they've impressed me.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Flacco doesn't deserve close to max. But he does deserve close to close to max. He will be over paid though, that's just how it goes.

I'm not sure he'll ever be considered among the elites he's potentially really good. He just doesn't seem poised to catch his peers or rise as far as the young crop can.

The money part of it will be real interesting. But I would wager that he will end up being over paid because again, a real good QB, the pass happy NFL, that's how it goes.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No way. I'm far from convinced about him. To me, he hasn't shaken the label that he looks good when he has all day to throw, but folds when you put pressure on him. He was awful in his first 5 playoffs game (only 1 TD and 6 interceptions) and they managed to win 3 of those games. He's just been way too inconsistent for me to jump on the bandwagon. He still has plenty of convincing to do.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He does something my bengals can't do, which is win playoff games, so I can't rip on the dude too much.

He's not elite, but I think there are worse options to go with at QB. He has a good defense and running game, which helps, but I've been impressed with him in big spots.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I really like Flacco as a player but I don't rate him above Eli(I think Eli is a top 5 QB) and I don't think he's elite(top 5 ish). That being said he's a great playoff QB and those guys are rare to find and you have to figure that he still has some hidden potential given his skillset(rocket arm, big frame, experience, etc) I posted a thread about Flacco the other week and I think he should get paid, he's not worth Brees money but I don't see anything wrong with giving him a 10-13mil/yr type of contract for over 6-7 years.

He's a big game QB and those are hard to find.. I'm interested to see how he does next year with a new OC as it seems Cameron was holding that offense back and Caldwell seems to be getting the most of the unit.

Flacco has alot of value and I'm almost certain they can get a top 10 pick for him and end up signing a QB like Alex Smith which would be a great way to revamp that team actually.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Flacco doesn't deserve close to max. But he does deserve close to close to max. He will be over paid though, that's just how it goes.

I'm not sure he'll ever be considered among the elites he's potentially really good. He just doesn't seem poised to catch his peers or rise as far as the young crop can.

The money part of it will be real interesting. But I would wager that he will end up being over paid because again, a real good QB, the pass happy NFL, that's how it goes.

Exactly how it goes. You either have a QB in this league or you're constantly searching for one. If he manages to win the Superbowl he might end up being the highest paid QB by Baltimore or some other team looking for a QB.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Big game QB? He's been awful in many playoff games. It's just that he's been good the past couple games. He's just not a guy I trust yet. Though, I guess we live in a 'what have you done for me lately' world as Carbine alluded to.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: