Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
D-Rose

Default "Americans need right to protect themselves" - most BS regurgitated statement ever?

I hear this phrase all over the media and in public from people in favor of gun rights.

How incredibly flawed and dangerous is this thinking that is within the fabric of America?

It's really flat out disgusting and an excuse at best to avoid actual gun solutions.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star

Default Re: "Americans need right to protect themselves" - most BS regurgitated statement ever?

My guns are here to protect me from the government and criminals.

Last edited by longhornfan1234 : 01-23-2013 at 09:37 PM.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Balla_Status

Default Re: "Americans need right to protect themselves" - most BS regurgitated statement ever?

How the hell is it BS? People shouldn't be able to protect themselves from unwanted invasions into their homes? They have been real anecdotes of people doing this. Thus your OP is completely invalid.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
How the hell is it BS? People shouldn't be able to protect themselves from unwanted invasions into their homes? They have been real anecdotes of people doing this. Thus your OP is completely invalid.

I don't believe the necessary regulations/restrictions will impact ones ability to protect them selves. Obviously there are other who strongly disagree but overall I can see the OP's point. Seems, like a genuine debate can't be had if it always ends in they'll take our guns.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I agree with this logic when it comes to keeping a gun in the home but not when it comes to the right to carry a firearm in public. Sorry but I don't want a bunch of untrained shmucks carrying a pistol around.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I agree with this logic when it comes to keeping a gun in the home but not when it comes to the right to carry a firearm in public. Sorry but I don't want a bunch of untrained shmucks carrying a pistol around.

Well, you're obviously uninformed. Carrying in public is actually regulated. There are times when people have protected themselves from carrying in public. See the shooting at the mall in Oregon.

And I bet you walk around in places where people do carry and you don't even think about it. Nobody does. And a very, very low percentage have committed crimes...somewhere in the .09% or less range.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
My guns are here to protect me from the government and criminals.

I don't understand why this sentiment is so prevalent in America. Maybe, it is because of how powerful the America government is and what it has shown it is capable of. With that being said, what is the solution in regulating the power the state has so it isn't misused and tyranny is largely prevented.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
This. No way I'd feel safe with random people carrying concealed guns in public.

Let me guess since I don't feel safe I should get a gun too right?
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Well, you're obviously uninformed. Carrying in public is actually regulated. There are times when people have protected themselves from carrying in public. See the shooting at the mall in Oregon.

And I bet you walk around in places where people do carry and you don't even think about it. Nobody does. And a very, very low percentage have committed crimes...somewhere in the .09% or less range.

can you expand on that??
how far do the regulations go, because his concern was the carriers shooting ability.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

I think that's actually one of the strongest arguments in favor of Second Amendment rights. Why does anyone else, especially elected officials, get to dictate the extent to which I'm allowed to protect my own life?
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
This. No way I'd feel safe with random people carrying concealed guns in public.

Let me guess since I don't feel safe I should get a gun too right?
What about random people carrying diseases around in real life? Those are much deadlier than guns.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!

people should be allowed guns to protect themselves from carjackers and home invaders etc. and people should be allowed to hunt.

I think 95% of people think this is acceptable.

the idea that you need to protect yourself from the government with automatic rifles is f*cking laughabale.

if the government wanted you dead, it would be a quick predator drone strike and boom, goodnight.

rifles and shotguns for hunting and hand guns, 9mm etc. to protect yourself.

asking for anything else makes you a stooge and a delusional moron.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
can you expand on that??
how far do the regulations go, because his concern was the carriers shooting ability.

It's different for every state. Most states require a shooting and safety test before you can acquire a concealed carry permit. There are a few that don't. Some states allow open carry without a permit, some require a permit, and some have banned it outright (Texas does not allow open carry).
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
I think that's actually one of the strongest arguments in favor of Second Amendment rights. Why does anyone else, especially elected officials, get to dictate the extent to which I'm allowed to protect my own life?

You definitely have a right to protect your own life but there should be reasonable limits. So, it should be about how we put those limits in place. There are scenarios where if you exceed self defense that you would be opening up to criminal charges.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
people should be allowed guns to protect themselves from carjackers and home invaders etc. and people should be allowed to hunt.

I think 95% of people think this is acceptable.

the idea that you need to protect yourself from the government with automatic rifles is f*cking laughabale.

if the government wanted you dead, it would be a quick predator drone strike and boom, goodnight.

rifles and shotguns for hunting and hand guns, 9mm etc. to protect yourself.

asking for anything else makes you a stooge and a delusional moron.

Thanks for showing everybody what a moron you are. Automatic weapons have been banned for over 25 years.

Edit: Isn't it wonderful how we are trying to have a national debate on gun control and yet the majority of people have no fcking clue what they are talking about? They don't even pretend to be informed, they just talk straight out of their asshole.

Last edited by bmulls : 01-23-2013 at 10:01 PM.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: