Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

Default Question about a possible Gasol for Josh Smith trade

This might be a good trade for us.... have always love JS....

But Gasol makes ~$6 more than Josh, who would they add
into the deal to make it work?
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Question about a possible Gasol for Josh Smith trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmanfan
This might be a good trade for us.... have always love JS....

But Gasol makes ~$6 more than Josh, who would they add
into the deal to make it work?

It really doesn't matter who they add as long as he has a short contract.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

This is a rumor that has popped up since the draft of last season I believe. With the lakers, almost anything that has been speculated for a few seasons always ends up coming true eventually. It took Ron-Ron a few years but he finally came, and was instrumental, and still is. It took a few years for this Bynum for Dwight thing to happen. Finally has.

If Pau for Smith does end up happening, it probably should come as no surprise to any of us. I still predict about 50 new threads being created lol.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
This is a rumor that has popped up since the draft of last season I believe. With the lakers, almost anything that has been speculated for a few seasons always ends up coming true eventually. It took Ron-Ron a few years but he finally came, and was instrumental, and still is. It took a few years for this Bynum for Dwight thing to happen. Finally has.

If Pau for Smith does end up happening, it probably should come as no surprise to any of us. I still predict about 50 new threads being created lol.

I'm not sure how he is supposed to fit in 'Antoni's system.....he doesn't shoot well and is terrible at the line too.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I'm not sure how he is supposed to fit in 'Antoni's system.....he doesn't shoot well and is terrible at the line too.

Yeah I think his three point shooting is comparable to pau's. But he can run very well and does a lot of "little" things. It might end up being a lateral move.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Quote:

You are right to be concerned over those things.

You know I've always been a proponent of JSmith coming here.
I think he would help by getting transition baskets, but he would be reigned in at shooting as much as he does now. He is a GREAT defender, and can guard multiple positions.

Also, I think if he's given a long term deal, he will be willing to reign it in a little on offense. Cant blame the guy now, he's playing for a contract.
Also, getting him and locking him up makes Dwight staying more likely.

I don't think ATL wants Pau though. They want youth and flexibility.
3 way deal:

Minny- Pau
ATL- Pek, DWilliams
Lakers-JSmith, Barea

Barea and Williams are very movable for the Wolves, and great as Pek has been, I seriously doubt Minny wants to give him a max, Hibbert like deal in the offseason (he is a FA). That would tie their hands big time and they need flexibility to keep their Love/Rubio core in place down the road.
Also, Adelman loves Gasol, and Pau would be great in that system.

Also, pry one of Atlanta's expirings away, like Morrow, and send him and Duhon (buy out next season) to Washington for my boy Trevor Ariza.

The Wiz would dump Ariza for cap relief. He is playing behind Webster since his injury and he's not part of their plans. Trev can guard all 3 perimeter positions, including PG's (remember how he shut down CP3 in the 09 playoffs).

We need that perimeter defender like Trev. Look how good we've been since Kobe stepped it up on D. Trev could come in and just play D. Also, imagine having the Trev/Kobe combo for the likes of CP3, Parker, Westbrook, and the Ariza/JSmith/MWP trio to work the likes of Durant and Bron.

As you have always said DK, "Defense wins Chips", and I couldn't agree more!
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Quote:

you of all people (not blaming) should know he is exception defensively....thats what matters as of now...and he can run.....His 15-20ft is money tough....

I want to get Smith+Korver _ Stevenson for Gasol/blake/ebanks

Smith is like EClark on 100 times steriods.....

starters:
Howard
Smith
Clark/stevonson
Kobe
Nash

& bench of
morris/duhon
stevenson
korver
jamison
howard/sacre

should help a lot to the lakers

I am even willing to do 3way with minny

smith, korver, barea/ridnor coming to lakers
Stevenson, d morris/meeks going to minny
ATl getting pau/blake
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
you of all people (not blaming) should know he is exception defensively....thats what matters as of now...and he can run.....His 15-20ft is money tough....

I want to get Smith+Korver _ Stevenson for Gasol/blake/ebanks

Smith is like EClark on 100 times steriods.....

starters:
Howard
Smith
Clark/stevonson
Kobe
Nash

& bench of
morris/duhon
stevenson
korver
jamison
howard/sacre

should help a lot to the lakers

I am even willing to do 3way with minny

smith, korver, barea/ridnor coming to lakers
Stevenson, d morris/meeks going to minny
ATl getting pau/blake

Maybe you misunderstand me.
I like Josh Smith and have wanted him.....but if you have a coach who won't use him properly then what is the point?
The way I would use Pau right now would have everyone to him.......but we have a coach who just doesn't get it and doesn't have a clue how to use players.....he has his one little failed system and that's all he's got. No adjustments and worse yet, no desire to play defense, he doesn't want lock down defenders in the game, he would love to have 10 Euro shooters who could run the floor and jack up blind shots.
'Antoni would probably end up benching Josh

No, I don't think his 15-20ft is Money.....and if 'Antoni didn't want Pau to shoot at that range, what makes you think he would want Josh at that range? You, Me.....and most of us would know how to use him but we have a coach who doesn't and that is what I'm addressing.

I love defense and rebounding.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Quote:
I like Josh Smith and have wanted him.....but if you have a coach who won't use him properly then what is the point?
The way I would use Pau right now would have everyone to him.......but we have a coach who just doesn't get it and doesn't have a clue how to use players.....he has his one little failed system and that's all he's got. No adjustments and worse yet, no desire to play defense, he doesn't want lock down defenders in the game, he would love to have 10 Euro shooters who could run the floor and jack up blind shots.

see I am not so sure about that. Pau is on the decline and we have another 7ft who needs to be in there...politics or whatever...signing him or not...

I honestly dont know if Pau still got it....he complains/b!tches about his touches in the post but his defense is now at Nash's level and his rebounding is getting pathetic by the day. He is becoming tissue paper.....

I would prefer for Pau to show some emotion....

If you saw the game yesterday...my goodness we need to be athletic in such a bad way...that defense was crazy good...we need to play at that level to win anything....

RANT ALERT: fcuking coach D'Toni...they took away our P&R and our offense was piece of Sh!t....nash looked like Darius Morris out there yesterday....

we need to have atleast some specific set to play when we are taken out of our P&R....
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
see I am not so sure about that. Pau is on the decline and we have another 7ft who needs to be in there...politics or whatever...signing him or not...

I honestly dont know if Pau still got it....he complains/b!tches about his touches in the post but his defense is now at Nash's level and his rebounding is getting pathetic by the day. He is becoming tissue paper.....

I would prefer for Pau to show some emotion....

If you saw the game yesterday...my goodness we need to be athletic in such a bad way...that defense was crazy good...we need to play at that level to win anything....

RANT ALERT: fcuking coach D'Toni...they took away our P&R and our offense was piece of Sh!t....nash looked like Darius Morris out there yesterday....

we need to have atleast some specific set to play when we are taken out of our P&R....

On the teams where I have 2 good bigs, I run sets where one posts low on the right side and one posts low on the left side, they play off each other and the action leads to the defense having to collapse, leaving shooters open, big to big passes in the paint for layups, passes to cutters for layups, dominant rebounding because the bigs are close to the basket.....they rebound right and left side while the SF crashes the middle......this type of set drives teams crazy and all they can do is foul.
I do mix it up but this has always been extremely effective......some sets anchor 1 of the bigs at the ft line, guards penetrate and he's always open...that would be money for Pau too.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:

No, I don't think his 15-20ft is Money.....and if 'Antoni didn't want Pau to shoot at that range, what makes you think he would want Josh at that range? You, Me.....and most of us would know how to use him but we have a coach who doesn't and that is what I'm addressing.

Either way Josh Smith is younger than Pau. If we get him, I say he stays longer than D'Antoni does. Then we bring in a traditional coach who can utilize both.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Either way Josh Smith is younger than Pau. If we get him, I say he stays longer than D'Antoni does. Then we bring in a traditional coach who can utilize both.

Can we just speed up the process and fire 'Antoni now
My stomach turns watching our defense.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: