Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
hoopaddict08
Decent college freshman

hoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected posterhoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected posterhoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected posterhoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Struggling with Depression

Has anyone gone through depression before?

It started out with loneliness (friends moving out of state, friends getting into serious relationships/getting married), and now I'm just depressed all the time. I have lost interest in so many things. Just trying to listen to music or watching a television show I immediately lose interest and end up just staring at the ceiling or my computer screen. I have put on a lot of weight over this past year (went from 150 to 185) and just don't have any confidence in even attempt to get into a relationship. I don't mean to whine or complain but this just sucks. Any advice? Or ways of getting out of this?
hoopaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
MichaelCheazley
B-Eazy Mike Beasley

MichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Struggling with Depression

I have never experienced depression myself, but have known someone that had it and it sure did change them. What I would suggest you do is try something new. Like for example join a sports team/ club. You will meet new people and exercise is always good way to clear your mind. Hope you feel better though eventually man hang in there. You got da ISH family backing you
MichaelCheazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ISH is here for ya bro. It might help talking to someone( in real life) about things that are bothering you. As far as lack of motivation, find something you're passionate about and pour your energy into that. Hope you feel better man.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

From your description, it sounds as though your problem is coming from not having moved on to better things after (I'm assuming) graduation. Life became real. Friends moved on to other things, while you remained where you were.
Try to change your life for the better.
You mentioned your weight problem. Why not exercise?
Also try finding a job that you're even remotely interested in. Sure, the economy still hasn't picked up to a decent level and if you're in need of a job, now is not the time to be picky, but just think it through.
Do something productive. When you're home alone, hit the weights. When you start feeling better about yourself, hit the club scene/bar scene/etc. I promise if you put your mind to it, you can get away from your depression. But if you continue to merely deal with it, you'll simply continue to feel depressed.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
hoopaddict08
Decent college freshman

hoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected posterhoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected posterhoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected posterhoopaddict08 is a pretty well-respected poster

I have been thinking about getting into hockey. I love basketball but I'm white and am terrible at it.

Drinking isn't something I'm into. I spent part of my summer in the Dominican Republic on a missions trip and was thinking about getting into ministry even though I'm going to school for marketing but I've lost the desire to do that too. But I love helping people.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Cowboy Thunder has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCheazley
Your mom clearly did when she was carrying you.
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
KDTrey5
I DO ME, N I CHILL

KDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
I have been thinking about getting into hockey. I love basketball but I'm white and am terrible at it.

Drinking isn't something I'm into. I spent part of my summer in the Dominican Republic on a missions trip and was thinking about getting into ministry even though I'm going to school for marketing but I've lost the desire to do that too. But I love helping people.
best way is to go out and try to join a sports club. like someone mentioned, u meet new people + u get that refreshing feel.
+ the ppl u meet there can lead to better things.
KDTrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

get busy

i've been going through something similar the past few months, and like you said, it sucks balls. i'm directionless atm and have been procrastinating on making any long term decisions, instead just looking to further short term goals and side projects. it doesn't work like that. like you described, i've found it borderline impossible to engage my hobbies or even just hang with friends without getting sidetracked and eventually completely preoccupied by broader anxieties. that's especially true if you're trying to distract yourself from your problems with passive activities in solitude like music, the web, tv, etc. that doesn't work and only serves to drive you further into the depths of despair.

so yeah, if what you're going through is anything like my situation, your best bet is reflect on something you really want to accomplish with a clearly defined endgame and start working towards it... sounds like getting back into shape would be the perfect starting point. talking helps too i guess, if you haven't already unloaded on anybody.

it definitely isn't any fun. and it's also really easy to lay down and accept your own inadequacy. that's why the last thing you want to do is beat yourself up or overanalyze your circumstances. just take on the challenge, recognize it's part of life, and do your best to overcome.

g'luck ;)
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
bigdaddyfunk
I hit open layups

bigdaddyfunk is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
Has anyone gone through depression before?

It started out with loneliness (friends moving out of state, friends getting into serious relationships/getting married), and now I'm just depressed all the time. I have lost interest in so many things. Just trying to listen to music or watching a television show I immediately lose interest and end up just staring at the ceiling or my computer screen. I have put on a lot of weight over this past year (went from 150 to 185) and just don't have any confidence in even attempt to get into a relationship. I don't mean to whine or complain but this just sucks. Any advice? Or ways of getting out of this?

Quote:
Let me tell you a secret.

Depression is a thing. OCD is a thing. Social Anxiety, all that shit. They exist. I'm not saying you don't have them, but for the vast majority of people I know who say that they're depressed, I have one response.

You're not Depressed. You're ****ING BORED.

The human brain evolved over millions of years of running through jungles and fighting lions and killing shit. Today we sit here on reddit. Your brain doesn't have anything to do with itself. There aren't any lions. There are no more jungles. Our society has degraded itself into mental *********ion. Television, internet, media, movies, music. It's just ****ing playing with yourself.

We are bored, and we don't know how to handle it. You think you're depressed? Drop everything right now and go volunteer somewhere. Go feed the homeless, go to the wartorn starving heart of africa and build a ****ing orphanege. You think you're depressed? Go look an AIDS stricken ex-child solider in the eye, and tell him you're depressed. Your problems? You don't ****ing have problems, man. You have no idea.

I challenge you, I'm calling you out. Go do something to make the world a better place for the people who have it worse than you. It can be something as small as picking up a homeless man and taking him to lunch somewhere. Or you can quit life and volunteer. And if after all that you're still "depressed" at least you have done something to make the world a better place.
It's like this. Your problems are ****ing stupid. That's the core of our belief. Your worries about if Becky thinks you're hot, or how you spend too much time online, it's ****ing stupid. It's *********ion. Go ****ing do something. Go do something beautiful. Then you can understand what it means to not give a ****.

I got this from reddit. Best advice you are going to get.

http://www.reddit.com/r/howtonotgive...o_give/c5sb2a8

Pick yourself up and man the **** up. Hit the gym. Focus on improving yourself. Go do some reading, learn some history. Life is to short to sit around pitying yourself.
bigdaddyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
Godzuki
I need to relax, smile, take a deep breath, and remember that we are just here for fun

Godzuki has not been impressing people

working out and lifting is the best way to change yourself. you have to start with the physical and the mental will come once you're happy with your physical unless you have some clinical issue. the hard part is getting to the point where you commit yourself to it, or waste away thinking u can't....its up to you.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

AirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
working out and lifting is the best way to change yourself. you have to start with the physical and the mental will come once you're happy with your physical unless you have some clinical issue. the hard part is getting to the point where you commit yourself to it, or waste away thinking u can't....its up to you.

I actually agree with Godzuki. Working out does a lot for you. Helps you with your confidence which translates to a LOT of other things. Keep your head up brother!
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
KDTrey5
I DO ME, N I CHILL

KDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKDTrey5 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTupac
I actually agree with Godzuki. Working out does a lot for you. Helps you with your confidence which translates to a LOT of other things.
yesssir
KDTrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
hoopaddict08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyfunk
I got this from reddit. Best advice you are going to get.

http://www.reddit.com/r/howtonotgive...o_give/c5sb2a8

Pick yourself up and man the **** up. Hit the gym. Focus on improving yourself. Go do some reading, learn some history. Life is to short to sit around pitying yourself.

This is true.

I have done a lot of volunteering. Like I said, I spent part of my summer in the Dominican Republic. I helped families with medical needs. It was awesome. I have also done stuff in Detroit. A couple of weeks ago me and my friend drove around in my Jeep handing out lunch bags of food and a nice cold beer along with extra military rain ponchos he had from the Marines. That stuff is great and all but then I immediately get that depressing feeling again.

I think what is really bothering me is not being in a serious relationship. I have always had a desire to get married and have kids. I'm a family-man type of guy. But I just haven't met the one yet and that's killing me inside. Especially when you see married couples that were once happy and now all they do is moan and complain about each other. They have no idea how lucky they are to have someone who truly cares about them.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
AK47DR91

Stay active, out and about. Or sink into a deeper depression to a point where you're desperate enough to want to make change.

The second route sucks because you end up wasting a month or two, or worse a year of your life. That's what happened to me in 2010. A whole year wasted!

Like others have said, get busy. Go do something! Whatever it takes to keep you active and clear your mind from dwelling too much.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I was depressed after I moved to Wisconsin and my girlfriend left me for someone else.

WHat did I do?

I played the online game Dark Age of Camelot and invested 3 years of my life in the game living in a fantasy world. I literally would wake up, go to work, come home, eat while gaming and that's it. Sometimes if friends wanted to have a LAN party we would do that, but I played probably at least 6 days a week.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: