Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Durant has GOAT potential?

BTW DeAndre Jordan who's 6'11 barefoot himself called Durant a near 7 footer after last nights game. So it's probably true that Durant is 6'11 like Thunder fans have been saying.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
RoundMoundOfReb
Top 1 NBA/NFL Mind

RoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Lebron will likely finish top 5 all time if he wins a couple more rings, Durant will finish top 10-15, maybe break the top 10 with a couple rings himself. OKC fans should be very happy and grateful that they got Durant. Portland probably hates their life right now .
this.
RoundMoundOfReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board

I think he can go as far as #10 on the all time list. GOAT? No. He doesn't have the playmaking ability at this point. But he has improved in that area.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Durant though deserves MAJOR respect. I remember 3 years ago rookie Griffin was compared to Durant and I argued that Griffin had more long term potential due to being a big man and performance rookie years. That was back when most of us non Thunder fans considered Durant a 6'11 Ray Allen who was mostly a pure scorer.

Now we are 2 and a half years out and Durant has become a very respectable defender, a good playmaker AND a very very good rebounder. The all around improvements to his game are crazy because I never saw them coming. It just goes to show how freaking hard he works and how amazing of a player he is. To think the guy is just 24 years old too? It's unfair for the rest of the NBA because I have no clue how much better he still can get.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
BoutPractice
I'll pass

BoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this boardBoutPractice is popular on this board

Probably not.
But once LeBron declines, he will have 3-4 years where he'll be in good position to be the undisputed best player in the league (which, ultimately, matters more than imaginary rankings). Durant these past few years has become the Nadal to LeBron's Federer.
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
kshutts1
Decent college freshman

kshutts1 is considered somewhat coolkshutts1 is considered somewhat cool

I believe Durant is the best offensive player in the game today, but to consider him in the GOAT discussion, or even "top player in the league today" discussion, is ludicrous.

Let me see him transform into a shutdown defender, while still maintaing his scoring ability, then we'll talk.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
fpliii
LA Lakers Est. 1960

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think he does personally (as do a few other guys), but that Finals loss will likely be a irreconcilable blemish on his resume in the eyes of a lot of fans. Not that I agree with it personally, but the 6/6 record in Finals is a big part of why people have Jordan as the GOAT on their lists, and it doesn't seem they're going to move away from it.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #23
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

NumberSix has not been impressing people

InB4 10 years from now people laugh that people used to compare KD to LeBron and Kobe and EVERYONE claims "I never thought that. Those people we're retarded.".
NumberSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
K.Koscik
KobendLebronRBothGood

K.Koscik is a pretty well-respected posterK.Koscik is a pretty well-respected posterK.Koscik is a pretty well-respected poster

I'll be the odd one out and agree with you. Although I feel like his resume will have to be better than 3-5 chips and 2-3 MVPS considering MJ had 6FMVPS and 5 RS MVPS alone would trump that.

I will say, though, MJ definitely benefited from being the face of the NBA during a time when media was becoming huge in sporting and history has favored him over the last decade
K.Koscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

top 25 at best

maybe somewhere ahead of Kevin Garnett
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
BuffaloBill
Pure

BuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He's 24 years old, who knows how the rest of his career plays out. The all time rankings really isn't a place for players still in the their primes in my opinion. We'll be able to properly rank players like Lebron and Durant after seeing their full body of work.
BuffaloBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #27
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star

KungFuJoe has not been impressing people

Durant doesn't have the defensive impact to be considered one of the GOAT.

Unless you are specifically talking about GOAT offensive player...then yes...he has potential.
KungFuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #28
avonbarksdale
meat mountain

avonbarksdale has a bad reputationavonbarksdale has a bad reputationavonbarksdale has a bad reputationavonbarksdale has a bad reputation

hes 0-1 in the finals... if you wanna be GOAT you can't lose one
avonbarksdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #29
Rick Kamla
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Rick Kamla has an OK reputation so far

He most definitely does! He is a beast amongst men, and is unstoppable. He is only 24 and has had plenty of success already. I smell and MVP and Finals MVP THIS SEASON!

He may not become the GOAT but he has the potential!

On a side note I'm lovin KD on my fantasy team. Pick him first over LeBron, in my opinion, fantasy freaks!
Rick Kamla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Supposing everything in his career goes great for him - playing (and staying) for a great team for his whole career and winning multiple championships, winning more scoring titles (which is the only type of statistical title that counts for some fans, after all...), getting his share of MVP's, staying healthy till old, LeBron's career for some reason not keeping track, lack of other all-time great opponents in his own era, I don't see why, career-wise, he wouldn't be mentioned among the GOAT. This part is partially a matter of luck.
Individually, he doesn't have the multiple sector impact than players like Wilt, Kareem, Jordan, Magic or Bird had, so that would be a hit, but, if everything goes right, it's a given that he'll be discussed. The #1-3 best of every generation since the early 60's are discussed among the GOAT and I don't see why the 2010's will be different.

Last edited by Psileas : 01-23-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: