Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here
Default Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7?

So I've been thinking about getting a tablet for some time now, but have held back because my laptop has done the job just fine still. However, I've been ordering a lot of e-reading lately on my phone and laptop can probably take a rest from the use I put it through so I think I'm finally going to make the jump to one of the more affordable tablets. Aside from e-reading I plan on using it browse the web, Netflix, and Hulu.

I know generally the Nexus 7 is held in higher regard, but would it make a difference on how much I plan on using my Amazon Prime membership? I can also get the Fire HD 8.9" for $250 as opposed to the $300 it usually is, would that make a difference as well?
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7?

Fire HD imo.

Pros: the kindle lending library is very very nice, if you're big on reading. If you pay for amazon prime you basically get all of netflix's selection at a cheaper price, and the 2 day shipping of course.

Other things that may make a difference:
the fire weighs more but is 8.9 compared to the 7 inch version of the Nexus.
The Fire has a better display.
And the Nexus runs a way way better version of android. Since the Fire is a customized one.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

One of the big arguments I see is the version of Android that is used. Where exactly would that make a difference performance wise?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I played around a Fire for awhile before I decided to get a tablet, and only used a 7 in store for maybe 15 minutes or so. But the Nexus 7 seemed faster at opening things by a few seconds. Mainly the difference (I assume) will probably be in what apps you can download and use.

There's some apps that you'll only get one way or the other though. I know google Maps isn't available on the Fire, but I think the Nexus doesn't have text to speech. And you'll get the latest android OS updates with a Nexus, and I don't know if you'll get anything major with a Fire HD.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
sunsfan1357
Word.

I see. I'm not too much of an apps guy aside from basics like FB, Twitter, Skype and some games, I have my phone to use for navigation and stuff so I don't think that'd be a deal breaker for me. Would it be worth it to cough up the extra $15 to get rid of the Amazon ads or is it not much of a bother from what you've seen?

I think being able to get the 8.9 for $50 cheaper might make me lean in that direction. Surprisingly most of my friends that have responded are partial to the Fire, I expected it to be the other way around. Most admit to not being experts in tech stuff though they just happen to own the Fire.
I think
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

nexus 7 and then download the kindle app....
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
I see. I'm not too much of an apps guy aside from basics like FB, Twitter, Skype and some games, I have my phone to use for navigation and stuff so I don't think that'd be a deal breaker for me. Would it be worth it to cough up the extra $15 to get rid of the Amazon ads or is it not much of a bother from what you've seen?

I think being able to get the 8.9 for $50 cheaper might make me lean in that direction. Surprisingly most of my friends that have responded are partial to the Fire, I expected it to be the other way around. Most admit to not being experts in tech stuff though they just happen to own the Fire.
I think
I know it's got facebook, twitter, angry birds, cut the rope and some main stays like that. To me the big thing about the ads are those are on the lock screen.
the ads are kinda like this. I was gonna copy the picture but the picture was ridiculously oversized. But as you can see if covered the screen. Sometimes it was smaller and much less obtrusive kinda like the ones on ISH they'd just be off to the side But other times they'd be just the entire screen.

Yeah most tech sites seem to say if you're more of a tech guy you'll prefer a Nexus because it gets updated, has better apps, is slightly faster, etc etc. But if you're just a consumer which it seems you are the Fire is better because it's a bit cheaper, and made for consumption.

Last edited by Rose : 01-24-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

nexus 7, not close either.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
I know it's got facebook, twitter, angry birds, cut the rope and some main stays like that. To me the big thing about the ads are those are on the lock screen.
the ads are kinda like this. I was gonna copy the picture but the picture was ridiculously oversized. But as you can see if covered the screen. Sometimes it was smaller and much less obtrusive kinda like the ones on ISH they'd just be off to the side But other times they'd be just the entire screen.

Yeah most tech sites seem to say if you're more of a tech guy you'll prefer a Nexus because it gets updated, has better apps, is slightly faster, etc etc. But if you're just a consumer which it seems you are the Fire is better because it's a bit cheaper, and made for consumption.

those ads seem pretty obnoxious

I found a couple friends that have either the Fire or Nexus so I plan on giving them a test drive soon, but it does seem like I may be better suited for the Fire.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

easily nexus 7
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
I know generally the Nexus 7 is held in higher regard, but would it make a difference on how much I plan on using my Amazon Prime membership?

nexus 7 (32gb) if not for that
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #12
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've used both, I lean towards the Nexus 7. The fact that you have to root the Fire HD to manually install the Google Play Store onto it to have access to the Play Store puts it a step back. Amazon's App Store isn't anything what Google's is. They lack a lot of apps I use.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #13
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I've used both, I lean towards the Nexus 7. The fact that you have to root the Fire HD to manually install the Google Play Store onto it to have access to the Play Store puts it a step back. Amazon's App Store isn't anything what Google's is. They lack a lot of apps I use.

I definitely wouldn't want to mess with rooting the device, not for a while at least until I feel comfortable with it. I'm going to have to look up a website comparing the availability of apps so I can see how big the difference will be for other apps I like to use.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter

Doctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat cool

Don't even think about it, Nexus 7 all the way.
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

there's seriously no way you should even consider the kindle over the nexus
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: