Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #16
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

creepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: UN Expert Investigating US Drone Killings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirap31
I've gotten 2 face palm emoticons in this thread now. Explain yourself or don't bother. You contribute nothing.
What makes you think that using drones helps prevent civilian deaths? The opposite is true.
creepingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
Derka
Go C's!

Derka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Makes sense. Of course I don't condone the US killing innocent people, but that's a part of war. However, no one is going to convince me that stealth bombers or ground troops would be a safer alternative for innocent civilians and soldiers involved. Whether this breaks international law is irrelevant, innocent lives are being spared which is all that matters.
International law is important and should be observed. For my money, I'd rather the respective governments reign these elements in themselves, but that's not going to happen.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #18
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingdeath
What makes you think that using drones helps prevent civilian deaths? The opposite is true.

I see only two solutions that minimize civilian deaths as much as possible:

1. Don't attack at all
2. Drone Strikes

There is nothing else available that can kill the enemy with less fallout than drone strikes. It's a better idea to spare the enemy completely? Do nothing? If you can think of a safer way to kill the enemy, I'd like to hear it. I don't think there is one.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #19
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

creepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

1. Don't attack at all
2. Drone Strikes

There is nothing else available that can kill the enemy with less fallout than drone strikes. It's a better idea to spare the enemy completely? Do nothing? If you can think of a safer way to kill the enemy, I'd like to hear it. I don't think there is one.
No. Using soldiers results in less civilian deaths 9 times out of 10. The thing is that Washington can't afford to have more body bags send back home, and for their soldiers, drones are naturally safer. But for the civilians? Are you kidding me?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #20
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingdeath
No. Using soldiers results in less civilian deaths 9 times out of 10. The thing is that Washington can't afford to have more body bags send back home, and for their soldiers, drones are naturally safer. But for the civilians? Are you kidding me?

But that will result in US soldier deaths obviously, something I think would be even less popular with American opinion. Also, I don't think it's a strong argument that foot soldiers are safer for civilians. All previous wars would suggest this. Anyway, it's late, good talk.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #21
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

Quote:
But that will result in US soldier deaths obviously, something I think would be even less popular with American opinion. Also, I don't think it's a strong argument that foot soldiers are safer for civilians. All previous wars would suggest this. Anyway, it's late, good talk.
American opinion wasn't the point here. What rubs me the wrong way is the argument that drones would actually help save innocent lives when it's clearly the other way around.
Also, how long has this drone war been going on in comparison to conventional war? Plus, modern conflicts cannot be compared to all-out wars. The latter are a relic of the past and will most likely never return.

Anyway, have a good one, man.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #22
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Makes sense. Of course I don't condone the US killing innocent people, but that's a part of war. However, no one is going to convince me that stealth bombers or ground troops would be a safer alternative for innocent civilians and soldiers involved. Whether this breaks international law is irrelevant, innocent lives are being spared which is all that matters.

Innocent lives are not being spared and ground troops would be safer for innocent civilians but it seems like you are talking about what would be safer for the military. Additionally, I don't see how the drone program increases our safety from radical Islam. Especially, if the drone program is actually contributing to the recruitment of people into radical groups. Instead ground troops interacting with innocent civilians is a much better alternative than what the drone program is providing.

Quote:

1. Don't attack at all
2. Drone Strikes

While a drone strike is safer because it is not putting personal in harms way, it seems like it is actually contributing to instability in the region.

So, why should we continue a program that can be argue is not making the world safer???
MMM is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: