Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation
Default MAD MEN series discussion

About time this was done. I've threadjacked a couple of other topics in the last couple days to talk about this show, plus it seems like there are enough followers in this forum. So, talk about the latest episode, the season overall, past seasons, Don/Dick, Patty (), Pete, Peggy, and the rest.

Just a few random thoughts below for now, but i'll definitely maintain this thread.

---
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation
Default Re: MAD MEN series discussion

Concerning Season 4, Episode 9:

I've never liked her character (and unlike many, I don't think she's the most beautiful woman on the show), but I'm starting to feel really bad for Joan. She has no true friends at work. Her husband is gone, and the marriage, while stable, doesn't seem to be rooted in any real passion. Even though she's a cold woman who usually cuts down anybody who tries to connect (namely Peggy), it sucks to see her getting older and realizing it, but not really able to change with the times. She seemed like she realized how easily she could end up like Mrs. Blankenship when Roger delivered the classic "She died as she lived--surrounded by people she answered phones for" line. Joan won't admit it, but she needs Roger as much as he needs her for stability and support. Good to see them going at it in the alley.

I was dreading the increasing screen time for Sally, but the girl who plays her is a terrific child actress. Don was on the verge of a major breakthrough after taking her to the zoo/dinosaur museum, if only he had asked her what was so bad about living with Betty and Henry. I suppose Draper's opening up will still be a gradual thing, but it seems like he lost the best chance with Sally after he said 'goodbye' to her in the reception area. Something in her just kind of snapped.

And also, I want a full audio copy of Sterling's Gold.

Last edited by brooks_thompson : 09-21-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
DirtBag
Hero's Herald

DirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I want to participate in this thread but I'm still catching up on season 3 I could easily be done with it but I watch the episodes in between my classes while at school.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag
I want to participate in this thread but I'm still catching up on season 3 I could easily be done with it but I watch the episodes in between my classes while at school.

Welp, it will be here if you want to talk about the parts of the show you have watched. I'll put a warning tag at the beginning of my posts if I'm talking about season 4 so you can skip them.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

lol @ patty

Seriously starting to hate Betty. Even Henry seems more mentally stable. He exposed Betty a few times on her immaturity. Now I'm hoping she dies. Also I'm really feeling the new secretary that is replaces that old lady that just died (Forgot her name).

Where the **** is Pete Campbell? Or Lane Pryce? That episode Lane got drunk was one of my favourites.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
DirtBag
Hero's Herald

DirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Something that I really like about Dons character is how he has turned Dick into Don. Dick was a shy kid who didn't say much because of how he was treated at home as a kid, but now that he's Don he turns his shyness into this mystique. Who is this guy? Why doesn't he say much? Basically turns all of his weaknesses as Dick into what Makes him so cool as Don.. Atleast thats what I saw when I watched it.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
lol @ patty

Seriously starting to hate Betty. Even Henry seems more mentally stable. He exposed Betty a few times on her immaturity. Now I'm hoping she dies. Also I'm really feeling the new secretary that is replaces that old lady that just died (Forgot her name).

Where the **** is Pete Campbell? Or Lane Pryce? That episode Lane got drunk was one of my favourites.

Betty's been the one character on the show who has shown no growth. She's still like a child. I loved when she started spilling everything to Sally's psychiatrist. I don't think she and Don are done, though, based on the way she looked at him at Gene's birthday party.

And totally with you on Pete. He had that great episode where Trudy got pregnant. The way he shrugged off his father in law when he called him a 'son of a *****' was probably my favorite moment of the season. and they've only used him for bit parts since. He was funny in the background during the Blankenship scene, but giving Ken Cosgrove more screentime than Pete is criminal.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

That new secretary Megan is very very very very very hot.

Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag
Something that I really like about Dons character is how he has turned Dick into Don. Dick was a shy kid who didn't say much because of how he was treated at home as a kid, but now that he's Don he turns his shyness into this mystique. Who is this guy? Why doesn't he say much? Basically turns all of his weaknesses as Dick into what Makes him so cool as Don.. Atleast thats what I saw when I watched it.

Certainly. No matter how much cheating on Betty or generally treating his employees like dirt he does, I can't help but like and respect him for how driven he is professionally and how he pulled himself out of his past.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

Thought about doing this yesterday while in the Boardwalk thread but didn't think anyone watched. Glad to be wrong.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i really want to know about what is going on next episode.

and i was watching the last episode with my girl, and i just assumed that Sally wanted to get out of the house because frankly Betty is a bitch. But my gf is convinced that she is getting abuse at home, which would explain her hyper-sexuality(on that note, she was convinced that sally was showing signs of Electra Complex in the last ep) and wanting to leave home.
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #12
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
i really want to know about what is going on next episode.

and i was watching the last episode with my girl, and i just assumed that Sally wanted to get out of the house because frankly Betty is a bitch. But my gf is convinced that she is getting abuse at home, which would explain her hyper-sexuality(on that note, she was convinced that sally was showing signs of Electra Complex in the last ep) and wanting to leave home.

that's not the first i've heard of sally possibly being a victim of sexual abuse by either grandpa gene (whose mind was going...he did hit on betty before as well) or even henry francis. i just kind of shrugged it off, it didn't seem like the case, but who knows. also a girl that suggested it to me.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
that's not the first i've heard of sally possibly being a victim of sexual abuse by either grandpa gene (whose mind was going...he did hit on betty before as well) or even henry francis. i just kind of shrugged it off, it didn't seem like the case, but who knows. also a girl that suggested it to me.
same. i'm standing by my theory that Betty is just a *****, and Sally is now old enough to realize it and now wants to get out
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #14
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

one more post from me tonight. a scene from the show that still gives me chills, the climax of the first season.

if anyone wanders in here by chance who hasn't watched the show and is on the fence about investing time in it, this is the best persuasion there is.

(yes, it's the carousel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRDUFpsHus
Old 09-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #15
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
one more post from me tonight. a scene from the show that still gives me chills, the climax of the first season.

if anyone wanders in here by chance who hasn't watched the show and is on the fence about investing time in it, this is the best persuasion there is.

(yes, it's the carousel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRDUFpsHus

Carousel/Nostalgia speech is beautiful written.

But I also enjoy Don's nihilistic views on love in the first episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XXoxCjdfTY

In many ways, he has changed and tries to have a more optimistic view of his life but you can still see his world slowly falling apart in more subtle ways. He still mistreats people from time to time and doesn't understand his daughter's rebellious attitude.

His life is like a broken levee, I guess.

But then, at the same time, I'm reminded of redemption and hope. Don reverts back to Dick Whitman, emotional and spineless, when he knows Anna Draper has died. His emotional mistreatment of Peggy shows his fragile state of emotions and then, when he finally receives confirmation of Anna's death, he just breaks down. But because Peggy is there, she saves him from the loneliness that he felt when his half-brother died.

One of the best scenes in Mad Men ever. I guess that's what makes me like the show is that it builds up the tension only to relieve it in the face of opposite tension. And the character's lives improve or fall apart because of it. It's entropy.

Last edited by Joshumitsu : 09-22-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: