Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-05-2007, 02:34 AM   #16
JMEWLS

Default Re: After Deron's stellar play this season, would you take him over Paul?

I would still take chris paul, hands down. He's just been in a battle of injuries, just look at New Orleans, they can hardly win games without him, but when he comes back they've won 2 of the 3games since CP3's come back.

Chris Paul just means too much to his team, as where in utah they have Boozer, Okur and Deron even AK47.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:42 AM   #17
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: After Deron's stellar play this season, would you take him over Paul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
You look it up

I don't need to look up what I already know.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:43 AM   #18
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
Deron was fat in his rookie season. He trained like an animal this offseason and that shows his desire to get better. He is obviously a tough player based on this season. Therefore, I don't think his weight will be a problem over his career.

He's just as 'big' as Kidd or Baron Davis and they're quick as hell.

Deron wasn't fat his rookie season. He lost 15 lbs since college to the draft tests and beat Chris Paul and Raymond Felton in quickness tests. He was a fine weight his rookie season, just toned out since.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:52 AM   #19
AKADS
National High School Star

AKADS is considered somewhat coolAKADS is considered somewhat cool

I said DEron and Felton would be better then Paul and I stnad by what I said. Deron has been my favourite player from that draft class and is goin to be the best.
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:35 AM   #20
jerky10
Decent playground baller

jerky10 has not been impressing people

its a tough choice. felton is playing good too.
jerky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #21
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

I'd take Paul because he's so entertaining but you can't go wrong with either one. Paul's game doesn't rely on strength or speed it's all scrapiness and creativity. Deron is about as solid a player as they come, great for Sloan's system. I think Paul's game translates best to a defensive-focused team that doesn't have an offense like the Hornets while Deron is best for a structured offense with players who can shoot and make good cuts.

By the way don't lose track of the Hornets it's easy to forget them but Paul's back and they're rolling.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #22
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
After their final college seasons, I would have taken Williams and Felton over Paul.

Right now I think it's pretty close between Williams and Paul, but you have to remember Paul is in a much tougher situation than Williams and has to do more with less.

Felton hasn't been given a full chance yet imo and will mature into a really good pg in the future. Don't think he will be at the level of the other two anymore however.

Basically it's almost a wash between Williams and Paul right now.

I agree with everything especially what you say about Felton. He came into a situation where he has shown the ability to do anything to help the team win even try to play off the ball and guard 6'6-6'7 2 guards. I think its obvious though that he plays better when Knight is out, and with Mcinnis looking like a pretty good backup I'm not sure why Bernie hasn't made serious attempts to move BK. Yea he's a hard worker and a fan favorite but he's in Feltons way and its bettter to trade him now than to lose him for nothing in free agency in the summer.

But over these 2 as a NC native I take Paul, but I know its close and wouldn't mind having either (or of course Felton) on my team.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #23
New Jazzy Nets
New Uni's 2010-2011

New Jazzy Nets has an OK reputation so far

I hate the argument of better sitution. blah blah blah oh they have better players on the team. Yes the jazz have a much better team then the hornets but deron is still putting up around the same numbers and he's the 3rd option on the team where as Paul is the 1st. Deron is a better shooter and passer then paul. So if im picking one to lead my team for the next 15 years at point guard it's easily Deron Williams.

Last edited by New Jazzy Nets : 02-05-2007 at 02:32 PM.
New Jazzy Nets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #24
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Not a chance. I still take Paul all the way.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #25
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

Quote:
Right now I think it's pretty close between Williams and Paul, but you have to remember Paul is in a much tougher situation than Williams and has to do more with less.

I simply do not understand this argument.

At the beginning of the season, most fans looked at the Hornets' roster and said that they would make the playoffs. Eveyone was saying how Paul and West were going to be a year better, that Peja was the perfect player to allow Paul to drive and kick, and that Chandler would shore up the interior defense.

On the other hand, people looked at the Jazz roster, and most of the them picked the Jazz to miss the playoffs. Many said that AK47 was overrated and that Boozer was overpaid.

Now that it appears that the Jazz are playoff locks (and quite capable of winning their division) and the Hornets are struggling, suddenly it becomes a situation where Paul has no weapons and Deron is on a team loaded with talent.

Last year, people were saying that Paul was the best rookie since Magic Johnson and that the sky was the limit for him. Well, his stats have essentially leveled off in his second year and some of them have actually gone down. His points and assists have gone up marginally, but his free-throw shooting and his deplorable 3 pt FG% have dropped significantly. Overall FG% is up, but his SPG are down. This is with a year of experience in the league and playing on a team that (at least on paper) is significantly better than last year's team.

Now look at Deron Williams. All stats up significantly, most ntably points (up to 17.3 from 10.8), assists (doubled, from 4.5 to 9.0), FT%, and FG%. What's the reason for the rise? Certainly it doesn't hurt that he has a year of experience, but it can't be ignored that Boozer has been healthy for the most part this year, and last year he missed 50 games. Had Boozer been healthy last year, its reasonable to assume that Deron's stats would have been better than they were.

I guess what I'm saying by all of this is that no one gave Deron props last year for nearly getting a Jazz team with major injuries (around 100 missed games between Boozer, AK47, and Gordan Giricek) and Keith f**king McCleod as the backup point guard to the playoffs (and to a better record than the Hornets, might I add), but now that Paul's team is clearly not on the level of Deron's, its because #1 Deron's team has more weapons (which nobody thought was the case on paper, and despite the fact that Paul's stats have leveled off or gone down despite being given more help); and/or #2 Paul's team is injured this year (which nobody gives into consideration when it happened to Deron's team)

Time to either say that Paul has not improved since last year or that the pieces the Hornets added in the offseason aren't helping him. Or that Paul would be better if Peja wasn't hurt; but if that's the case, you have to assume that the gap between Williams and Paul was never as great as it seemed, simply due to the fact that many of Deron's weapons were injured last year.

Quote:
Deron Williams will gain weight or lose his atheletic ability due to age, he is already thick right now. That might slow him down and he will depend on smarts only and Paul will have the smarts and the atheletic ability still...soo am going for Paul.

1. Deron Williams will never be too fat or unathletic to play in the league. Too old? Yes. Too fat or unathletic? No.

2. I'd be more worried about Paul's tiny, brittle frame being able to withstand the brutal NBA season rather than Deron being too big. Deron Williams will play more years in the NBA than Chris Paul. Book it.

Quote:
Chris Paul just means too much to his team, as where in utah they have Boozer, Okur and Deron even AK47

A great frontline like Utah's would not be nearly as effective without a good point guard. For evidence, see last year whenever Deron went out and Keith f**king McCleod or Milt Palacio came in the game. Even this year, when a very solid player like Derek Fisher comes in, the offense does not run as smoothly. Williams is every bit as vital to his team as Chris Paul.

Quote:
I would still take chris paul, hands down. He's just been in a battle of injuries, just look at New Orleans, they can hardly win games without him, but when he comes back they've won 2 of the 3games since CP3's come back.

That's the problem, though. Many have seen Paul as being the next Magic Johnson. I see him as being the next Kevin Johnson. Brilliant on the court, but will inevitably be forced out of the league by constant injuries. Paul's frame just will not last very long at this level. I can't see him playing for more than 10 years.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #26
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I too preferred both Deron and Felton to Paul before the draft. It was as much a matter of taste as anything else. I'm still not sure if Paul is capable of making a team a title contender as the main guy, the way Isiah was. And I'm also not ready to say he can exist as a secondary option.
The line between him being Isiah, and him being Marbury is awfully thin. So I'd rather have Deron, who seems like he could fit in almost any situation and be successfull, even if Paul has some individual advantages in a few areas.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #27
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
At the beginning of the season, most fans looked at the Hornets' roster and said that they would make the playoffs. Eveyone was saying how Paul and West were going to be a year better, that Peja was the perfect player to allow Paul to drive and kick, and that Chandler would shore up the interior defense.

On the other hand, people looked at the Jazz roster, and most of the them picked the Jazz to miss the playoffs. Many said that AK47 was overrated and that Boozer was overpaid.

Now that it appears that the Jazz are playoff locks (and quite capable of winning their division) and the Hornets are struggling, suddenly it becomes a situation where Paul has no weapons and Deron is on a team loaded with talent.

Last year, people were saying that Paul was the best rookie since Magic Johnson and that the sky was the limit for him. Well, his stats have essentially leveled off in his second year and some of them have actually gone down. His points and assists have gone up marginally, but his free-throw shooting and his deplorable 3 pt FG% have dropped significantly. Overall FG% is up, but his SPG are down. This is with a year of experience in the league and playing on a team that (at least on paper) is significantly better than last year's team.
Perhaps the largest factor involved in Paul's development this season is injury. Several key teammates have missed long stretches of games, and Paul himself has missed time, too.

That doesn't account for the Jazz surging when few expected them to, but it accounts for the other side of the coin - the Hornets falling short of most fans' expectations.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #28
Comedy Central
Kids at the park dunk on me

Comedy Central has an OK reputation so far

In terms of potential

Paul= Kevin Johnson

Deron= Rod Strickland

Felton= Kenny Anderson
Comedy Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #29
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

Dizzle-2k7 is considered somewhat coolDizzle-2k7 is considered somewhat cool

chris paul plays out of his mind when he's healthy, and he plays with a worse supporting cast.

if all goes well and both players are healthy for the rest of their respective careers, only a fool could take deron over paul. no doubt, deron is sick in his own right.. but paul is kidd-like and you just dont pass on a player like that.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #30
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
only a fool could take deron over paul.
Please don't fuel the obsession. Jazz fans love this kind of thing it keeps them going
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: