Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
death valley40
Learning to shoot layups

Default Lebron vs 80's and 90's defenses

Quick question. I've read multiple times that if lebron played against the Charles Oakleys and Bad Boy pistons defenses of the past that he would be scared to drive the lane from getting layer on his ass from hard fouls

But Lebron is so big and strong physically that I have no doubt he could have made guys like Oakley and Rodman think twice about going up against him in the paint head on .

Lebron could dish it out and make people hurt offensively just by his height weight and brute strength . He could run some of those guys over . I mean take Jordan for instant , he played against all those guys but he was more finesse . He was so athletic and talented but never had the size to go up against those guys . He eventually succeeded because he was so much better than anyone else on the court

Lebron has the size ,speed , and athleticism to match those dudes . And he could have played more physical on offense back then . I guess what I'm trying to ask is, Would guys back then be afraid to foul Lebron running full steam back then ?
death valley40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
madmax
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Lebron vs 80's and 90's defenses

40 ppg, 12 rpg and 11 apg in that weak ass era.
but of course, Space Jam retards would never admit this
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by death valley40
Quick question. I've read multiple times that if lebron played against the Charles Oakleys and Bad Boy pistons defenses of the past that he would be scared to drive the lane from getting layer on his ass from hard fouls

But Lebron is so big and strong physically that I have no doubt he could have made guys like Oakley and Rodman think twice about going up against him in the paint head on .

Lebron could dish it out and make people hurt offensively just by his height weight and brute strength . He could run some of those guys over . I mean take Jordan for instant , he played against all those guys but he was more finesse . He was so athletic and talented but never had the size to go up against those guys . He eventually succeeded because he was so much better than anyone else on the court

Lebron has the size ,speed , and athleticism to match those dudes . And he could have played more physical on offense back then . I guess what I'm trying to ask is, Would guys back then be afraid to foul Lebron running full steam back then ?
They weren't afraid of Karl Malone so they ain't gonna be afraid of Bron, also keep in mind that Bron really doesn't like physical play as big as he is or else he wouldn't flop.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Folks wouldn't have been afraid of stepping up to LeBron James back then. Just the same, LeBron James wouldn't have been afraid of them either. I'm guessing things could have gotten rough, leading to dangerous fouls and possible fights, thus leading the league to come to their senses and scale back the amount of thuggery they'd been allowing in the game up to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
also keep in mind that Bron really doesn't like physical play as big as he is or else he wouldn't flop.
I do not agree with the last portion of your statement. Exaggerating contact (or in some cases truly flopping) is not a player disliking all physical play. Most often, it's a response or strategy to expose an illegal play. For instance, Bill Laimbeer was a very physical player, but he used his exaggeration as a complement to that physical play. He'd push, grind, hold, and grab then when the opponent was prepared to retaliate, he'd give way and let himself take a hit or fall.

I've seen LeBron James both flop and exaggerate real contact. However, I've never had the feeling he flat out didn't like physical play. He dump trucks most anyone who tries to run in front of him. And I mean that as a compliment, not a criticism.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 01-25-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax
The retard strikes again...let the hate flow, fakkit
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
death valley40
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
They weren't afraid of Karl Malone so they ain't gonna be afraid of Bron, also keep in mind that Bron really doesn't like physical play as big as he is or else he wouldn't flop.

Yeah but remember rules were different back then, so lebron could play rougher on offense without being called for a foul. Also Lebron is a perimeter player compared to Malone . So lebron running full speed from the top of the key could do some damage when two bodies collide .
death valley40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by death valley40
Yeah but remember rules were different back then, so lebron could play rougher on offense without being called for a foul. Also Lebron is a perimeter player compared to Malone . So lebron running full speed from the top of the key could do some damage when two bodies collide .
I get that, but the question was that would physical defenders be afraid of smaking LBJ and my answer is no.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
OldSchoolBBall
NBA sixth man of the year

Lebron would be roughly AS statistically dominant back then as he is now. Maybe a bit less, maybe a bit (but not much at all) more. There are many things to consider when you think about such things, including the fact that in the 80's and early-mid 90's, there wasn't a damn coach in the league who would let Lebron dominate the ball nearly as much as he does, or especially as much as he did in Cleveland. The culture of the game has changed, as have myriad other factors.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax

Weird because in the current weaker era he's not putting up those numbers.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
LikeABosh
Trump Towers

"Scared to drive into the lane" Such bull shit. He's a tank. In todays NBA when he gets hit while driving to the basket he doesn't even move.
LikeABosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

The majority of players in the 80's were rail thin........like the guy who scored the most points in the decade...Alex English.

What makes you think a tank like LeBron would have a problem
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

LeBron would beast any era.
The dude is just a freak of nature.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

Lebron would be in trouble..they actually called travels back than. The 90's were more physical and Lebron doesn't like to play physical. But he would do great in any of those eras.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

You guys are aware that the lane was more clogged?

I've also seen Bron slowed down with minimal hand checking, also less ft attempts, true bigs.

His efficiency, rebounds, fta, ppg, basically all his stats will drop.

As somebody mentioned, he won't be as ball dominant. Some of the assists he gets now won't count as such. He's smart in some aspects but until recently was still sketchy with some of his decisions, he takes too long at times, coaches won't allow that, the defense won't allow it.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: