Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
highwhey
el vato encabronado

Default Cable and Internet monopoly

The two largest american ISP's merging
when completed, their customer base will be ~30million. In contrast, other ISP's serve on average anywhere in the range of 3-5 million customers. They claim this will improve their network and lower prices, what they don't tell you is that they will rip you off in the long run because they will have the largest network in America. As if the the recent controversy about formatting Internet traffic similar to cable weren't enough, this is going to further impede America's already inferior network infrastructure.

A previous NPR article made mention of how america is FAR behind of other countries in terms if network and Internet speed. In places like Stockholm and Seoul, $25 a month gets you gigabits symmetrical service.

Comcast Confirms Deal To Buy Time Warner For $45 Billion http://n.pr/1nvB2kS
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Jameerthefear
Banned

Default Re: Cable and Internet monopoly

Google Fiber can't come any sooner.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

this is an example of why sometimes government regulation of businesses isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you need an external force to level the playing field.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
embersyc
Lurker

And with Net Neutrality officially dead SuperComcast will strangle Netflix out of business.

This is a chart on speeds reported by Netflix, green is Comcast, blue is Verizon Fios.

embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

I gotta homie that works for comcast. Hooks my shit up. Internet and a million channels for 120/month. Happy as a pig in shit.
Bless Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
highwhey
el vato encabronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
And with Net Neutrality officially dead SuperComcast will strangle Netflix out of business.

This is a chart on speeds reported by Netflix, green is Comcast, blue is Verizon Fios.

I can only wonder what youtube looks like. They too refused to pay extra.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc

there's actually some slightly good news on that front. the FCC has taken steps to re-classify the data pipes as utilities (such as phone and electricity). Once that happens they net neutrality can be enforced again.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
there's actually some slightly good news on that front. the FCC has taken steps to re-classify the data pipes as utilities (such as phone and electricity). Once that happens they net neutrality can be enforced again.

There's no way in hell that legislation is going through. Any company that just dropped 45 billion to buy its competitor will fight that to the death with lobbyists.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
niko
I Run NY.

Both are also companies that have terrible reputations in areas they are monopolies or near monoplies too.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
There's no way in hell that legislation is going through. Any company that just dropped 45 billion to buy its competitor will fight that to the death with lobbyists.
that's why i said slight good new. it's no guarantee but at least it's good to know that someone is fighting on our behalf.

here's an article
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...still-survive/

and the relevant point made

Quote:
Why the FCC stands a chance
So what makes us think the outcome would be any different today? Well, for one thing, the FCC has a new chairman. Despite his background as a former cable and wireless lobbyist, Tom Wheeler has been quick to lay out a governing philosophy prioritizing consumer access to technology. In various public appearances recently, Wheeler has been promoting an idea he calls "the network compact," which tries to capture the notion that private companies should serve the general interest.
Meanwhile, as we live more of our lives on the Internet, the FCC risks becoming a marginalized agency if it doesn't find a significant way to weigh in on broadband. For self-preservation reasons alone, the FCC will need to address ISPs sooner or later, according to Tim Wu, the Columbia law professor who first coined the term "net neutrality."
"If the FCC doesn't try, as an agency it'll basically be left to allocating spectrum," Wu said in an interview. "Striking down the anti-blocking rule forces the agency's hands, despite it being a politically challenging proposition."
There are other ways the FCC could try to find a workaround on net neutrality. It might try to get the Supreme Court's attention. It could also take advantage of a tactic known as en banc, in which it asks the D.C. District Court to rehear the same case with different judges. Since the Obama administration is in the process of confirming new judges to the court, that means potentially friendlier justices might take the FCC's side. The agency could also try to find some leeway within its Title I authority to regulate broadband a little more strongly, though still not to the same extent as full-on net neutrality rules.
Of course, if the FCC tries anything new, that'll be subject to litigation as well. Either way, we're probably in for some more lawsuits.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Despite his background as a former cable and wireless lobbyist,

How you say, puppet
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
niko
I Run NY.

Comcast is a firm believer in data caps btw. TWC doesn't. Hello data caps.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
embersyc
Lurker

The FCC getting involved is almost worse. Can't wait for websites to get fined when somebody says **** or posts some titties.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
embersyc
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko

I have Comcast (really no choice in my area, unless I switch to DSL). And yes they list a 250GB cap in my user data... however they are not currently enforcing the cap. I think they faced a lot of customer backlash last time they tried.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
CelticBaller
lite kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko

google fiber pls
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: