Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Hi, my name is Riddler and I'm an alcoholic (Been to a few AA meetings recently)

I had a minor relapse recently and decided to go back to a meeting or two... or three.

If you find the right the group... those places aren't so f*cking bad.

I had to change locations though... For some reason sitting around with a bunch of 50 year-old men didn't seem like the type of place I wanted to keep coming back to... mix in a few females and it's a little bit more exciting.

It's amazing how a few attractive females can bring back the fear of public speaking.

If this type of subject interests you, then please make a reply.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wYNFfgrXTI
132,906,404 views.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Hi, my name is Riddler and I'm an alcoholic (Been to a few AA meetings recently)

To date AA has been shown to be the most affective cure for alcoholism...nothing we know of works better. Top psychologist have given up on alcoholics, unable to figure them out or stop them from drinking, and then they go to AA and are helped.

I am all for AA, it is great

Let me say this though, you can go into an AA meeting and find all types if people from all walks of life...from millionaire CEOs to bums on the street...and most of them prefer to keep AA a secret part of their life. That is because society looks down on AA members, it gas very negative stereotypes...Riddler, in here it doesn't matter, who cares...but un real life you might want to keep your new hobby a secret.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Hi, my name is Riddler and I'm an alcoholic (Been to a few AA meetings recently)

Do yall think alcoholism is a disease? If so,

Of course society looks down on AA members. I think most people look down on anyone who's become a victim of substance abuse. Shows weakness.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Theoo
dont not mess with my

Theoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Do yall think alcoholism is a disease? If so,

Of course society looks down on AA members. I think most people look down on anyone who's become a victim of substance abuse. Shows weakness.
shows weakness who fk** cares do were all look like supermans to you..no ones a perfect man
Theoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

true Alcoholism is a disease, past down from your family...in your DNA

You can be an alcoholic without the actual disease though

Anyone who laughs at it as a disease or feels it is a weakness is just uneducated on the subject or flat out ignorant. And ignorance is not a disease, its a weakness.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I know people who these meetings have worked very well for. Personally, I tried NA meetings a few times and didn't get into them. Both the higher power thing, and the amount of meetings you're supposed to do, I think 60 meetings in 60 days or something when you start. But if these things help people, which they have many times, then they're a great thing. For me, the only thing that's ever worked for stretches is just me making a decision for myself. I stopped doing drugs in mid November, though I started drinking heavily immediately after. About a week or 2 ago, I simply decided that drinking daily wasn't working for me, so I've been drinking every other day and cut down quite a bit on the quantity I do drink when I have been.

I guess that's what's never really worked for me about these programs. I don't believe that anyone is powerless. I think it's always the person's choice in the end. Extra support, and others to share your stories with or hear other stories, and how others are dealing with problems that may be similar to yours can certainly help, though.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
I know people who these meetings have worked very well for. Personally, I tried NA meetings a few times and didn't get into them. Both the higher power thing, and the amount of meetings you're supposed to do, I think 60 meetings in 60 days or something when you start. But if these things help people, which they have many times, then they're a great thing. For me, the only thing that's ever worked for stretches is just me making a decision for myself. I stopped doing drugs in mid November, though I started drinking heavily immediately after. About a week or 2 ago, I simply decided that drinking daily wasn't working for me, so I've been drinking every other day and cut down quite a bit on the quantity I do drink when I have been.

I guess that's what's never really worked for me about these programs. I don't believe that anyone is powerless. I think it's always the person's choice in the end. Extra support, and others to share your stories with or hear other stories, and how others are dealing with problems that may be similar to yours can certainly help, though.

That I think is the biggest thing most people have an issue with at first, the "powerless" thing...

IMO who cares if it works?...it has been proven to work if you buy into it...so if you really need help, then you need to buy into it.

Shaq, for the little you have told me in here, it sounds to me like you have a very tough road ahead of you. Drinking "every other night" and viewing that as "cutting down" is a serious problem. You'll never be able to hold onto a meaingful relationship getting drunk every other night, it is impossible...if you can't quit all together, then perhaps you are in fact "powerless" against it.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

I went to NA meetings just out of curiosity months after I kicked my addiction

I decided to make my higher power as myself, and I've yet to admit I"m powerless over the substance since I was a functional junkie

got too lazy to read the basic text much less the guide book, so I stopped going

but I can appreciate the appeal and effectiveness of this cult
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
That I think is the biggest thing most people have an issue with at first, the "powerless" thing...

IMO who cares if it works?...it has been proven to work if you buy into it...so if you really need help, then you need to buy into it.

Shaq, for the little you have told me in here, it sounds to me like you have a very tough road ahead of you. Drinking "every other night" and viewing that as "cutting down" is a serious problem. You'll never be able to hold onto a meaingful relationship getting drunk every other night, it is impossible...if you can't quit all together, then perhaps you are in fact "powerless" against it.

It depends heavily on the individual. Oh, and don't get me wrong, I think that the programs are great because they have helped so many people, I just don't think they're for me.

I've recognized problems with my own drinking. Up until recently, I was making a lot of excuses to justify it. Such as being off heroin since November, and I'd say things like "at least I don't have to do it as soon as I roll out of bed like with heroin." Although as it went on, I did drink some mornings, which nobody should do. In fact, I was basically substituting heroin with it, and trying to use it the way you would hard drugs in that good crack and good dope were often instant where you'd feel something about as soon as you'd shoot up or exhaled which led to me drinking hard liquor very quickly. Except, no matter how fast you drink, it takes longer, but then it hits you hard quickly after and once you get pretty drunk, it's easier to drink more and more. Then I've personally reached points where my impulse control is gone and after a certain point, I don't even realize I'm drinking.

From where I was at, just not drinking daily is a big improvement. I mean, my minimum would be probably a pint and a half of jack, and a six pack daily of my own alcohol, and often whatever alcohol anyone else had. It wasn't unusual for me to drink a quart of jack and a six pack in a few hours. But it got ridiculous, I mean it changed after a pretty bad blackout about 2 weeks ago where I woke up with my hand busted pretty bad, and no recollection after a certain point with people telling me things I'd done that didn't exactly put me in a favorable light.

I took a week off from drinking after that, and the 4 nights I've had a drink since, it's been much less. One night I guess was a little much where I drank a pint and a 6 pack. Other than that, it's been maybe a half a pint and a few beers. Last night for example, was just a couple of glasses of jack and a 6 pack. And more importantly, I haven't gotten particularly drunk any of these recent times I drink since I stopped drinking daily. Only night I was a little drunk was the pint and a 6 pack. But the overall way I'm drinking is differently too. Now I don't really drink until after 7, and I don't drink at such a rapid pace.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
I had a minor relapse recently and decided to go back to a meeting or two... or three.

If you find the right the group... those places aren't so f*cking bad.

I had to change locations though... For some reason sitting around with a bunch of 50 year-old men didn't seem like the type of place I wanted to keep coming back to... mix in a few females and it's a little bit more exciting.

It's amazing how a few attractive females can bring back the fear of public speaking.

If this type of subject interests you, then please make a reply.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wYNFfgrXTI
132,906,404 views.

What was your drink of choice and how much could you put down at your peak?
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
What was your drink of choice and how much could you put down at your peak?

Bud Light,...Tanqueray & Tonic (with lime)

Hard to estimate how much I could put down in my prime...

are we talking long term or short term? I usually avoided getting completely wasted because I wanted to drink in the morning... and I could drink beer morning, day, and night for days & days.

I don't think I ever made a serious attempt at joining the Century Club (100 shots of Beer in 100 minutes)... but that seems like it would've been pretty easy to accomplish in my prime.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmoke117 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've been to a various AA meetings and I actually found one I liked when my friend (who isn't an alcoholic) was in this anger management class and failed a drug test and had to go to 10 AA meetings. He didn't want to go alone so I went with him. I actually am an alcoholic and one of the meetings we found wasn't so bad except that AA meetings in california last an hour and a half and I don't have the kind of patience to sit and listen to people's sob stories for that long or listen to religious bullshit.

Last edited by Smoke117 : 01-27-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
JerryWest
kobeee!!

JerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryJerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Do people hook up through AA meetings?
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
but I can appreciate the appeal and effectiveness of this cult

THANK YOU

AA is indeed a cult as are all "12-step" programs, it only works because they are brainwashing you.

The first thing they brainwash you into is believing that you on your own are powerless to do anything about your addiction. That is the biggest lie of the 12-step program.

If you want to stop drinking you have to commit to doing that on your own. Otherwise you will always just be an "alcoholic" who is one drink away from a total relapse.

Don't let them steal your power.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Nick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation hereNick Young has an incredible reputation here

AA is complete bullshit dude, it controls with fear, hardly anything it teaches is real life, all it tries to make people do is shelter themselves from the world and withdraw from real society into AA society.

Also what is considered a hardcore alchoholic in USA is a p*ssy lightweight in the UK, all these people could drink most American AA clowns under the table and British society is functioning relatively well.

Drinking alot and getting blackout drunk is frowned upon in the US, in the UK it's a normal night in, and they don't need these AA meetings to survive.

AA is just an indirect attempt at pussifying American culture. Don't fall for the bullshit

I know AA is brainwash because I went to a rehab treatment center based on AA for 1 year when I was 15, and saw how they brainwashed kids, it even worked on me for a year, when I got out I was sober for a year not even smoking cigs, but realized it's bullshit to let drugs and alchohol control your life through fear (which is what AA brainwashes people into believing) and I started functioning at a higher level and achieving much more in all aspects of my life.

Basically AA encourages people to be a shut in and only hang out with other indoctrinated shut ins.

Last edited by Nick Young : 01-27-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: