Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #31
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hi, my name is Riddler and I'm an alcoholic (Been to a few AA meetings recently)

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
If instead they had learned to practice moderation

Almost everyone in there tried to drink in moderation... They're incapable of doing it for a number of reasons.

I've looked into the scientific reasons why it's a disease. Some people have a certain chemical produced in their brain when they drink alcohol, and others don't (forget the name of the chemical).

Look, I don't think anyone has bashed the program more than me,... I've gone to AA meetings in the past and told the members how flawed their little program is... (and I still believe it has its flaws).

When I told one member the program was brainwashing... His reply was: "Good, after all the crazy $hit I've done, my brain needed to be washed."

I take that back, I think Charlie Sheen bashed the program more than me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br21rihKsIQ
Charle Sheen rants on Alcoholics Anonymous. winning

Last edited by Riddler : 01-27-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #32
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Hi, my name is Riddler and I'm an alcoholic (Been to a few AA meetings recently)

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
It "Works" as long as people keep going, but it also gives people the victim mindset. "I'm not really at fault, I have a disease I'm helpless to control." Then eventually they stop going to meetings and when they inevitably take that drink they give in completely. They totally blame the alcohol on everything and become a super-asshole.

If instead they had learned to practice moderation and that it is indeed their fault for drinking too much and that even when drinking they still need to learn to control their behavior. They'd be better off.
Lol, you have no idea what you are talking about...

Asking an alcoholic to drink in moderation is like asking a sex addict to fck without cumming...it doesn't work like that.

Most alcoholics don't play the victim card either...they very much feel at fault. These meetings have more success with drinkers than ANYTHING ELSE...it has been shown...so whatever it is they are doing, they are doing it right.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I find it amusing that some of the people here claiming that alcoholism is a disease argued that depression wasn't.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
I didn't know America has become so pussified since I left that 3 and a half pints of beer in an hour and 40 minutes is considered alot to drink.

Especially considering it's watered down american beer that's only like 3% and shit like that.

I'm American and proud of my country but you look like a knobhead if you think the "century challenge" is an accomplishment.

Also I went back to America last summer and all these dumbasses were talking at a frat party about they drank some Stella Artois and how great it tasted and a bunch of other beer snob shit. In England at least Stella Artois is the cheapest beer and considered to be only a step above piss.

In China, Pabst Blue Ribbon is considered a delicacy and sells for $40 a bottle. In America its considered shitty student beer (because it is, and tastes shit).

Another example, in LA Sailor Jerry Rum comes in a plastic bottle and is considered tramp rum, in the UK it's one of the most expensive rums and considered the best by most students you ask.

Beer snobs are idiots.

Sailor Jerry has upgraded to glass now ha.

And century club is 150oz in 100 minutes(shot = 1.5oz), nearly 4 40oz's. That will get the average dude pretty f*cked up.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #35
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

If you can admit alcohol is a drug , you should have an easier time acknowledging that one can be powerless over it

I struggled with drugs. Moderation and addiction rarely coexist.
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #36
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

So that's like 2 and a half pitchers to yourself...now that I put it like that, it doesn't sound too crazy ha.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #37
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
So that's like 2 and a half pitchers to yourself...now that I put it like that, it doesn't sound too crazy ha.

Yeah...3.5 pints my ass. Dude needs to stick to comic books and leave the math to others.

This thread makes me want to get drunk right now.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #38
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I find it amusing that some of the people here claiming that alcoholism is a disease argued that depression wasn't.

Fatality!
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #39
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
you aren't talking about me are you?

Is depression something that runs in families via DNA?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #40
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

I'm not sure if a genetic connection has been determined. Not all diseases are genetic though.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #41
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

I think some people focus way too hard on the whole "disease" classification thing...

truth is for many people alcohol affects the brain in a way that makes it near impossible for them to just have "one drink", and they were born that way...and then for many others it doesn't, they can have one drink no problem...weather or not this fact is or isn't a "disease" isn't really that important.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #42
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Yeah I think there are different degrees of alcoholism too. I know a few highly functioning alcoholics that have 4-5 drinks every night, more on the weekends, yet still function well at their jobs, raise their kids, etc.

Wanting a drink in the morning is a pretty bad sign I would think.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #43
Overdrive
Local High School Star

Overdrive is considered somewhat coolOverdrive is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
Sailor Jerry has upgraded to glass now ha.

And century club is 150oz in 100 minutes(shot = 1.5oz), nearly 4 40oz's. That will get the average dude pretty f*cked up.

What's 150 oz in litres? Tried to find a definition, but there are 5 different types of ounces.

Quote:
Yeah I think there are different degrees of alcoholism too. I know a few highly functioning alcoholics that have 4-5 drinks every night, more on the weekends, yet still function well at their jobs, raise their kids, etc.

Wanting a drink in the morning is a pretty bad sign I would think.

Of course there are different levels of alcoholism. Even drinking every 1st weekend of the month is considered a form of alcoholism by the WHO.

Last edited by Overdrive : 01-29-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #44
lefthook00
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
What's 150 oz in litres? Tried to find a definition, but there are 5 different types of ounces.

Of course there are different levels of alcoholism. Even drinking every 1st weekend of the month is considered a form of alcoholism by the WHO.

1 liter is ~34 ounces

4.4 liters = 150 oz
Old 01-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #45
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

Depression has been linked to genetics actually
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: