Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Anyone train combat sports?

I've been doing Judo/Combat Sambo for 2 months so far. The discipline itself is very intricate, for example when executing a throw a minor detail such as shifting the weight of your body on to a different leg or moving in closer makes the throw a lot more powerful.

The ground game in judo is very interesting. There are many variations of chokes involving the Gi. I always thought a Gi was just something to make Karate people look like *******, but in Judo it is the basis to a lot of techniques both ground and throwing. Ground game is basically get choked out game for my inexperienced ass. I wear myself out too quick, cause I use my strength way too much, when every movement should be calculated. Hopefully that improves with time.

My trainer finally allowed me to practice some Combat Sambo strikes. I thought I would be a lot better at that because I have some experience boxing, but no its completely different. The punches in Combat Sambo work like a whip, in order to generate the most force over the shortest distance. The elbows are straight and they start by almost dislocating the joint and forcing it through. Unlike the Muy Thai elbow, where the hit comes from the side, the elbow in Combat Sambo is straight and is used to penetrate the defense of your opponent if done correctly. The kicks are low and aimed at the knee joints, they are also meant to be very difficult to defend against. The kick is done with the front leg, similar whipping motion and aimed at the opponents knee, in order to stun him or break him. Basically its not an art you can **** around with on the street, I'm definitely developing a passion for it, and hope to get somewhat decent and possibly compete before I get too old.

Share your experience.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation
Default Re: Anyone train combat sports?

Good Stuff...

- Sambo is an amazing disipline.....Probably the best Martial Art for learning all areas of combat.

- I strictly train BJJ ...but always wanted to train Sambo.....

Good Luck.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
Good Stuff...

- Sambo is an amazing disipline.....Probably the best Martial Art for learning all areas of combat.

- I strictly train BJJ ...but always wanted to train Sambo.....

Good Luck.
BJJ is good stuff, there's a guy that comes to my gym sometimes who trains BJJ. He says its a lot more technical but not as aggressive. Not sure what he's talking about cause he's tough as hell. I actually prefer some BJJ techniques to Judo. I notice Judo chokes have a lot of focus on the Gi, when in real life situations your opponent will most likely be wearing a t shirt or something like that, in that case I would say the rear naked choke would win out. I wanna give that a test run. He said his gym is located like 5 minutes from the place I just moved to. Need to get my funds up, then I'll go check it out.

One thing I'm curious about, does BJJ have takedowns, or do matches start on the ground?

Last edited by Hazard : 12-11-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I trained BJJ for about 3 years and MT/Kickboxing for about 6 years. I spent most of my time practicing No-Gi BJJ because I just felt it was more authentic.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
BJJ is good stuff, there's a guy that comes to my gym sometimes who trains BJJ. He says its a lot more technical but not as aggressive. Not sure what he's talking about cause he's tough as hell. I actually prefer some BJJ techniques to Judo. I notice Judo chokes have a lot of focus on the Gi, when in real life situations your opponent will most likely be wearing a t shirt or something like that, in that case I would say the rear naked choke would win out. I wanna give that a test run. He said his gym is located like 5 minutes from the place I just moved to. Need to get my funds up, then I'll go check it out.

One thing I'm curious about, does BJJ have takedowns, or do matches start on the ground?

- BJJ does have takedowns...but it's not nearly as Focused or Highlighted as Judo....Most of the time we train Takedowns with No Gi, simple throws maybe a single leg sparcly.

- BJJ matches start on the feet....But the heart of BJJ is in the guard.....so just pulling into gaurd (with no real takedown) is mostly how it goes.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Just2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this board

Krav Maga
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Im a black belt in wwe. Thinking about going for a black belt in ufc too but I don't want to have to do that gay hugging thing they do on the ground
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
Im a black belt in wwe. Thinking about going for a black belt in ufc too but I don't want to have to do that gay hugging thing they do on the ground
Yeah its understandable, you probably prefer the gay hugging thing in bed. Its all good man, to each is own I don't judge
Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Yeah its understandable, you probably prefer the gay hugging thing in bed. Its all good man, to each is own I don't judge
thanks bro
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've studied Arnis since I was 10 then took up Kenpo Karate at 18. Won State in 96. Also took discipline in Dumog and Tiger Style Kung fu. But Kenpo was where I ecxelled. I've trained with Keith Hackney
This was before the MMA craze. Traditional styles are a dying art, although I could probably still lay the boots to alot of these"MMA" artists
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

I don't really practice, but I do own some Tapout and Affliction shirts which turn me into a BJJ ninja warrior. When I roll up at the bar with my bedazzled t-shirts all the bros know I can sprawl like a mother fcker.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't really train anything except for very basic wu shu ren jiujitsu and shotokan but I'm not against pulling out a kitchen knife or giving someone a quick snap kick to the polar slexus if push comes to shove.

clothing-wise i roll with my wolf shirt and one of those shark tooth necklaces. that thing wards off all the evil spirits like bmulls and his crew.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
spree43
High School Varsity 12th Man

spree43 has an OK reputation so far

training is for girls

the only way to learn how to fight is to go out and get in fights on the weekend

i know plenty of badass street fighters who would destroy any ufc fighter in the street, including chuck liddell and hoyce gracie

the rules ruin combat sports
spree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I know kung-fu.
Meticode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

great thread, topic. i did kenpo for a year or two around HS / college, then some tai-chi afterwards. about all i remember now is some blocking / kicking / punching technique and fragments of kata routines.

would love to hear some of you guys' input in the MMA thread. i'm sure you would help make the conversation a little more technical and interesting...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: