Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #16
hotsizzle
Superstar

Default Re: Michael Jordan's first 40 pt game

Just to let you know, Kobe shot 45%:)

Why cant we just let both players play? Why do we have to compare? It aint fair to Kobe actually...
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #17
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
Just to let you know, Kobe shot 45%:)

Why cant we just let both players play? Why do we have to compare? It aint fair to Kobe actually...

Someone else brought Bryant up (as usual). Since I think Kobe/Jordan comparisons are insulting and wrong, you'll never catch me making them, only responding to others that erroneously do so. I'm just pointing out my view on gb8's statement.

Also, I would love to know if there's anything you disagree with regarding my post (except the 45% thing).
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #18
KobeBalboa
Banned

I'm telling you guys, it's all because of athleticism..
Kobe is just as skilled as Jordan..not as smart though..
However, if Kobe had Jordan's athleticism then we could talk..
KobeBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeBalboa

Yes, Jordan was a superior athlete to Kobe but he also had a much better bball IQ. BBall IQ has nothing to do with athleticism.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeBalboa

We're not talking about raw athleticism here. In today's nba, people with athleticism are a dime a dozen. And to say kobe is just as skilled as Jordan is false. Change the statement to "Kobe is a biter of Jordan hardcore" then we could talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74zX6R2qbrs
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #21
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
Someone else brought Bryant up (as usual). Since I think Kobe/Jordan comparisons are insulting and wrong, you'll never catch me making them, only responding to others that erroneously do so. I'm just pointing out my view on gb8's statement.

Also, I would love to know if there's anything you disagree with regarding my post (except the 45% thing).

Knoe I am not gonna debate with you when it comes to bryant as I have already established that you have a severely distorted view of reality, however I will clear up my previous comment on what I view to be the difference between the two.

I stated that micheal could get ANY shot he wanted at any time. This is obviously not true otherwise he would always shoot a lay up, but watching him it seemed like he was merely toying with the defenses. Like if he shoots a paticular shot its because he chose to shoot that shot not because the defense made him take it.
In contrast when I watch kobe play I have seen him make a lot and to be fair take a lot of tough shots that go in. He doesnt seem to be toying with the defense the same way that jordan appeared to be to me. He kinda is able to make tough shot despite the way the defense played him rather then being able to dictate to the defense what shot he wants.
This is a subtle difference but one which explains just why jordan is greater than kobe and why kobe's fg % is no where near mikes, although season accumalative fg% isnt really that usefull a stat.
Hope that clears up my original point
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #22
r32soul
Decent playground baller

i agreed! look at the clips, jordan ran faster, jump higher than all the other players on the court... he went coast to coast without anyone trying to stop him...

kobe just can't do that.. he isn't even the best athlete in today's game... you can argue lebron, wade, or even vince carter.. but kobe is the most talented, and just as talented as jordan.. maybe the only other difference is shot selection.. jordan always try to get the best shot in order to score.. kobe settles for a lot more 3s and long jumpers instead of trying to get the easier shot..
r32soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #23
gb8
Extra Cheese

[quote=gb8]Knoe I am not gonna debate with you when it comes to bryant as I have already established that you have a severely distorted view of reality, however I will clear up my previous comment on what I view to be the difference between the two.

I stated that micheal could get ANY shot he wanted at any time. This is obviously not true otherwise he would always shoot a lay up, but watching him it seemed like he was merely toying with the defenses. Like if he shoots a paticular shot its because he chose to shoot that shot not because the defense made him take it.
In contrast when I watch kobe play I have seen him make a lot and to be fair take a lot of tough shots that go in. He doesnt seem to be toying with the defense the same way that jordan appeared to be to me. He kinda is able to make tough shot despite the way the defense played him rather then being able to dictate to the defense what shot he wants.
This is a subtle difference but one which explains just why jordan is greater than kobe and why kobe's fg % is no where near mikes, although season accumalative fg% isnt really that usefull a stat.
Hope that clears up my original point.
Edit. I was responding to Kobebalboas assesment of what seperates jordan to kobe. It was in no shape or form a comparison, and I was merely stating what makes them so different rather than pointing to any similarities or claiming that kobe is better.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #24
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8

Agreed
Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #25
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by r32soul
i agreed! look at the clips, jordan ran faster, jump higher than all the other players on the court... he went coast to coast without anyone trying to stop him...

kobe just can't do that.. he isn't even the best athlete in today's game... you can argue lebron, wade, or even vince carter.. but kobe is the most talented, and just as talented as jordan.. maybe the only other difference is shot selection.. jordan always try to get the best shot in order to score.. kobe settles for a lot more 3s and long jumpers instead of trying to get the easier shot..

The difference is kobe cant actually get the shots mj got. If kobe cut down his bad shots like he has done this year the most he could ever average in the nba is about 30 ppg. Not ridiculous numbers like 35.5 he averaged last year which jordan wa able to get by still taking good shots.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #26
Batchoy
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
We're not talking about raw athleticism here. In today's nba, people with athleticism are a dime a dozen. And to say kobe is just as skilled as Jordan is false. Change the statement to "Kobe is a biter of Jordan hardcore" then we could talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74zX6R2qbrs
Great video. Nice of Kobe trying to ride the coattail of MJ...and Kobe hasn't been tying to copy MJ. Just another reason why Kobe has been so maligned by basketball fans. Try to be original, Kobe, not a faded copy.
Batchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #27
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
No, it doesn't make any sense when you consider that Jordan shot FIFTY THREE PERCENT during his 35ppg year (compared to Kobe's 44% during his), and he shot FORTY NINE PERCENT during his 37ppg year.

For me, Jordan's 35 on 53.5% stands clearly above 37.1 on 48.2% (with very few 3-pointers taken). In 1987, the League average was 48%, so Jordan shot at the average percentage of the league. Kobe in 2006 shot 45% (and 48.2% in 2-pt shots in particular) vs 45.4% for the rest of the league. Jordan had 1.33 ppfga and Kobe 1.30 (for those who believe these stats). In that sense, their scoring numbers ('87 Jordan-'06 Kobe) were actually pretty simular. Jordan of course was better defensively and had some clearly more effective years than this.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #28
The Mamba
High School Starter

Yeah, that was Jordan's game against the Spurs. It was crazy. My favorite play is that dunk down the center of the lane. "Jordan down the middle, all the way."

As for the Kobe / Jordan comparisons? You can compare them, just as you can compare anything. They are similar, but thats about as far as it goes. I would never say Kobe is greater than Jordan, because he isn't, but he is also about as close as anyone has come to replicating MJ's game. Maybe if Dwyane Wade had a better jump shot / defense, he'd be the closest, until then Kobe has been the closest we have seen. Jordan was just pound for pound a better athlete than Kobe. Which sounds weird to say, cause Kobe is one of the greatest athletes in the current game of basketball.

BTW, love Jordan's Nikes in this game.
The Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #29
goldgrill4me
Banned

kobe is not as talented as mj no matter how many of his fans think so. jordan was more athletic, had a better bball iq and was more efficient. even with the new perimeter friendly rules kobe could never average 33, 8, 8, and 3 on .538 shooting.
goldgrill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #30
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mamba
Yeah, that was Jordan's game against the Spurs. It was crazy. My favorite play is that dunk down the center of the lane. "Jordan down the middle, all the way."

As for the Kobe / Jordan comparisons? You can compare them, just as you can compare anything. They are similar, but thats about as far as it goes. I would never say Kobe is greater than Jordan, because he isn't, but he about as close as anyone has come to replicating MJ's game. Maybe if Dwyane Wade had a better jump shot / defense, he'd be the closest, until then Kobe has been the closest we have seen. Jordan was just pound for pound a better athlete than Kobe. Which sounds weird to say, cause Kobe is one of the greatest athletes in the current game of basketball.

BTW, love Jordan's Nikes in this game.

That's part of the problem. If you look at the moves that Kobe has done over his career, he's done just that. Replicating.. I mean, just looking at Kobe's career, you have to give credit to Jordan for the originality.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: