Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #61
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Default Re: Official: Rudy Gay to Raptors for Ed Davis and Calderon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
That's what I mean... the other option to what you've said here is the trading team says "here's our horrible contract back". Unless BC can swindle some poor sap into giving value back, I certainly don't see a second trade coming that pushes this team into any sort of upper echelon.

Nothing retains an already terrible players value like going on national TV to announce that you are definitely trading him!

Sweet negotiating tactics Colangelo.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #62
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Nothing retains an already terrible players value like going on national TV to announce that you are definitely trading him!

Sweet negotiating tactics Colangelo.

True
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #63
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
If this Rudy Gay trade happened during the off-season the hype on this board would have been unreal.
If it happened then and that lead to the Raptors not signing Fields, not extending Derozan and not drafting Ross, then yea, it definitely would have been easier to swallow. Because at that point, it would have made some sense.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #64
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
If it happened then and that lead to the Raptors not signing Fields, not extending Derozan and not drafting Ross, then yea, it definitely would have been easier to swallow. Because at that point, it would have made some sense.

agree. we could have also traded bargs in that scenario and drafted drummond.

also re: bc telling media he wants to trade bargs

bc is actually telling the fans he wants to trade bargs which probably means he can't find anyone stupid enough to take him.

not sure if anyone has seen that commercial where they are trying to sell bargnani for 30 million dollars. too funny;

anyone have a link?
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #65
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:

Derozan and Fields are the really tough ones to swallow. Because they are both awful fits and far worse than Rudy, and locked up long term.

I'm excited for Landry Fields to be re-branded as a "versatile, intelligent, savvy" power forward by Devlin and crew. I can see it now, "you know Jack, Landry Fields playing at the 4 is going to be a matchup nightmare for opponents, he just knows how to play the game!"
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #66
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Exactly. That's the whole thing with it. This trade could've made sense at the appropriate time and before those other stupid moves were made but it's just like, ok, what next? BC just goes into desperation mode and does things without really thinking them through. The Fields/Derozans contracts are bad enough... But then couple that with the fact that now JOHN LUCAS is our full time backup point... And then think about the 4/5 spot. If we trade Bargs for someone who isn't really gonna play for us we are really thin there. Amir/Gay/Gray/Val.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 AM   #67
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy

Calderon's interview about being traded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8tBkwyQHE

Looks like he was about to cry!
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 AM   #68
barkleynash
Local High School Star

Sad to see Jose go. Class act all around. Not likely but possible he comes back as a UFa nd resigns here. I'd like to see him win somewhere.
The raps definitely still need to trade bargs. I was thinking bargs, Gray and lucas and Anderson to the spurs for Blair, bonner, patty mills, Cory Joseph and a first round pick. I would love to pry away de colo, but don't think the spurs would part with him.

Lowry, mills, Joseph
Derozen, Ross
Gay, fields
Amir, bonner, acy
Val and Blair

Spurs
Anderson fits in nicely for the spurs. Bargs is the first post off the bench for San Antonio. Paired with splitter and Duncan he might be quite effective. Lucas and Gray are solid vets.

Raps get back Canadian content in Joseph and bonner (kind of). And Blair and mills are on tryouts for next year. Lowry gets the keys. Both fields and gay can play some small ball 4.

Strength for the raps would be defensively. This team can defend. Lowry, derozen, Ross, gay and fields can all defend as can amir and Val.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:42 AM   #69
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bie
Calderon's interview about being traded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8tBkwyQHE

Thank you Calderon

GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 AM   #70
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

I liiiikke

trade comes down to ed davis for rudy gay

calderon - expiring deal no value to memphis
2nd round pick is just that
cash considerations-its not my money
that center coming from memphis - expires at seasons end

I look at it like this from a positional viewpoint:

we trade a top 30-40 player at his position of power forward for arguably a top 5 player at his psition. thats a team upgrade if you ask me.
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 AM   #71
Beebo
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bie

The guy was a class act. Was always one of my favorite raptors despite his defensive deficiencies. Wish him all the best

And Lowry should be proud, he outlasted Jose
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #72
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by letshaveacorona
I liiiikke

trade comes down to ed davis for rudy gay

calderon - expiring deal no value to memphis
2nd round pick is just that
cash considerations-its not my money
that center coming from memphis - expires at seasons end

I look at it like this from a positional viewpoint:

we trade a top 30-40 player at his position of power forward for arguably a top 5 player at his psition. thats a team upgrade if you ask me.

It's waaay more than Ed for Gay. You HAVE to consider the salaries. Gay will make almost 20 mill 2 years from now. He's never been an all-star. His WAR is a game less than Ed's and Ed plays limited minutes. Gay's PER is similar to DeRozan's even though DeMar makes 6 million less (and even he's not worth anything near his contract).

Now Bargs will be back to starting and we'll be terrible on the glass and inside because of that. There are too many me-first guys in the line-up with Lowry, DeMar, Gay, and Bargs. Ed and Jose didn't need to shoot to be effective. The chemistry will be terrible.

We're going to be near the luxury tax. We're going to be handcuffed in making more moves. Ross will not get enough minutes to develop either.

Last edited by Reef : 01-31-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #73
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Was hoping to be terrible next year and have a chance at Wiggins. Oh well, too good to be true. Time to fight for an 8th seed, maybe get it so we can lose in the 1st round. Can't wait.

Well said Reef, I completely agree.
Velocirap31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #74
Kujo
National High School Star

Not buying Jose will re-sign here next year. I would have loved to see him go to a contender, but I think he'll fit in well with Detroit. He'll likely start, and they'll move Knight to SG. He'll make Drummond, and Monroe better. Plus, I think he'll have a shot of being a starter with team, if not Detroit next year.

This trade just sucks. Mediocrity here we come. Ross development will probably be stunted now (I can't see DD, Gay, and Ross all on the floor at the same time, so Ross' minutes will likely go to Gay or DD).

I cringe of thought of AB regaining his starting role, and we are going to suffer big time on the boards. Let's pray that BC trades AB.

Not buying this team even makes the playoffs next year, unless additional roster changes happen. We will forever be that 8-12 range, and continue to let low draft picks, and not get any better.

I know the Raps of been chasing Gay for a long time. This trade would have made more sense if happened before a lot of the dumb and questionable moves BC made (DD extension, Fields signing, Ross pick, etc). This team would have looked a lot better with Gay, Drummond, and JoVal on the roster.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #75
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

He signed Fields to get Nash, and fcked up. Can't let that stop him from gettin Rudy Gay.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: