Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #76
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Default Re: Official: Rudy Gay to Raptors for Ed Davis and Calderon

The numbers are important here. Very important. We have 66 mill on the books for this year and 74 mill for next. Our flexibility is done. We now have a team that we are paying "win-now" money for that probably won't even make the playoffs. And then we give away a young building block to get a guy that is being paid max money to do essentially the same thing as Demar Derozan but better. People don't realize, Ed was an anchor for our defense. This move completely changes the complexion of this team and the identity that was formed over the past couple of months. #FireBC
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #77
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Flexibility to siiiiign who? Turkoglu for 55 mil lolz

If they ain't gonna fire BC might as well have him put a watchable team out there
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #78
T-Low
College superstar

As I don't oppose getting Rudy Gay, I do oppose how we got him. Ed Davis, as much as his hands weren't great, was starting to flourish in his time as starter. And Calderon is worth more than just an expiring contract trade. But I do have hopes that he will re-sign this offseason. Yes, we don't have a lot of money to go towards something like that but Calderon is not worth the money he was originally given.

Acquiring Rudy Gay is gonna be a little different. Without the distributer (unless Lowry decides to start passing more), we won't be doing much. I am actually scared having Lucas being our prime backup. He can score somewhat but thats not what we need. We need someone who can distribute. PASS THE ROCK!

What does have me wheelin though is the factor that the dunkfest that could occur. We finally have some drivers and options. With Gay, Derozan and Ross on the team, this might be interesting to watch even if we don't win.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #79
Himan12
On the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
The numbers are important here. Very important. We have 66 mill on the books for this year and 74 mill for next. Our flexibility is done. We now have a team that we are paying "win-now" money for that probably won't even make the playoffs. And then we give away a young building block to get a guy that is being paid max money to do essentially the same thing as Demar Derozan but better. People don't realize, Ed was an anchor for our defense. This move completely changes the complexion of this team and the identity that was formed over the past couple of months. #FireBC

This. BC doesn't have a plan. The guy is a total moron.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #80
Himan12
On the clouds

I really don't understand this trade from any perspective, from cap room to management to player fit.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #81
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Doug Smith (unofficial Raptors franchise media representative) thinks we paid too much for Gay. That alone should tell you we paid too much and the composition of this team is effed right now. Unless there's a miracle deal on the table involving Bargnani, Derozan or both I just can't get excited for it, even as someone who freaking wanted Gay on this team. Blarg.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #82
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Flexibility to siiiiign who? Turkoglu for 55 mil lolz

If they ain't gonna fire BC might as well have him put a watchable team out there

well said.

the same people who negatively complain that no star player will sign in toronto are now complaining that we wont have any cap space flexibility to sign players.

guess what people news flash, we just traded for a top 5 sf stop reading into per and worrying about salary this dude can ball. he wasnt utilized right in memphis and something was off there but make no mistake ask ANY player and they will tell you Gay was their most talented player. and hes only 26 just entering his prime could have another level in his development as he gets used to being the man.

one more pointabout the cap. teams over the cap can still add players through veterans minimums, bi annual exceptions, mid level i think, and you can take on as much salary as you want through trades you just can openly sign a free agent above those exceptions unless its a sign and trade ala steve nash to the Lakers in the off season as just one example.
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #83
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

doug smith???

you guys gotta stop reading and listening to canadian content they have no idea . heres a tip get nba leauge pass watch raptors games broadcasted by US television and you will hear an unbiased opinion. im from toronto but live in califirnia now so i have no choice. i cant stand when im forced to watch a game with the raptors broadcasters its the same tune everybtime drives me nuts.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #84
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

The point he's making is that even a very biased/homer Doug Smith is saying the trade wasn't worth it, when 99% of his content is completely kissing Colangelo's ass and praising his every move.

I do agree, though, that the overall coverage of Raptors basketball (and the NBA as a whole) is pretty weak coming out of Toronto.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #85
Jballer
Local High School Star

Mixed Emotions right now.

1) I like Rudy as a player. The team will be better - we have a go to guy. D's will key on Rudy opening up drives for Klow and drives for Derozan.

2) Next years starting 5 is : G Klow, SG Derozan, SF Gay, PF AmirJ, C Val. This is a nice line up. This should be a competative team for any of the bottom 4 playoff spots in the east.

3) Cap flexability gone subject to....

4) One way to free up cap space and get back some draft picks is to move Kliza and Bargnani. Kliza actually expires and may have value... Bargnani will be a difficult move... therefore...

5) What kind of move does Bargnani yield. We need a PF but not the one we have. Its at best a three team move where we could end up taking on another bad contract (Amare anyone)

____

I am less inclined than Q, Rainin 3s and other posters here to worry about stripping the team down to build from the core - though trust me I do respect this point of view.

I guess I would say that teams that make the playoffs and finals generally : 1) Spend over the cap (Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Heat) or 2) spend at the cap but pay to keep talent to attract talent (Indy, SanAntonio, Orlando, Chicago). See wikipedia list on NBA teams with longest drought for playoffs... pretty much supports the above.

Mixed emotions : its too early to make this a mountain or a mole hill.

If Toronto is 5th in the east next year (2014) and cap space was created because we moved Barges / Kliza (or amnesty one) .... I will be cheering on the boys to use the cap space in 2015 for the right piece to sustain runs into the playoffs in the future.

If Toronto is in 9th place and everyone is wondering why Derozan, klow, and Gay have no chemistry - and we have a bad contract back for Bargnani trade - I will be marching with my fire Collangelo placard.

Just too soon to know.

Last edited by Jballer : 01-31-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #86
insidehoops
Administrator

The final, official trade:

The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have acquired forward Rudy Gay and centre Hamed Haddadi from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for guard Jose Calderon, forward Ed Davis, a second-round draft choice in 2013 and cash considerations. The Grizzlies traded Calderon to the Detroit Pistons for forwards Austin Daye and Tayshaun Prince.

“This is the type of deal we have been looking for to take our team another step forward,” said Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “Rudy Gay is a dynamic wing that elevates our talent level significantly.

“We want to thank Jose and Ed for their dedication and service to our organization. Both individuals are wonderful young men beyond just talented basketball players.”

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=12250#ixzz2Ja5oOd94
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #87
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer

1) I like Rudy as a player. The team will be better - we have a go to guy. D's will key on Rudy opening up drives for Klow and drives for Derozan.

2) Next years starting 5 is : G Klow, SG Derozan, SF Gay, PF AmirJ, C Val. This is a nice line up. This should be a competative team for any of the bottom 4 playoff spots in the east.

4) One way to free up cap space and get back some draft picks is to move Kliza and Bargnani. Kliza actually expires and may have value... Bargnani will be a difficult move... therefore...

5) What kind of move does Bargnani yield. We need a PF but not the one we have. Its at best a three team move where we could end up taking on another bad contract (Amare anyone)

____

I am less inclined than Q, Rainin 3s and other posters here to worry about stripping the team down to build from the core - though trust me I do respect this point of view.

I guess I would say that teams that make the playoffs and finals generally : 1) Spend over the cap (Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Heat) or 2) spend at the cap but pay to keep talent to attract talent (Indy, SanAntonio, Orlando, Chicago). See wikipedia list on NBA teams with longest drought for playoffs... pretty much supports the above.

If Toronto is 5th in the east next year (2014) and cap space was created because we moved Barges / Kliza (or amnesty one) .... I will be cheering on the boys to use the cap space in 2015 for the right piece to sustain runs into the playoffs in the future.

If Toronto is in 9th place and everyone is wondering why Derozan, klow, and Gay have no chemistry - and we have a bad contract back for Bargnani trade - I will be marching with my fire Collangelo placard.

Just too soon to know.

Great Post i completely agree especially the last parts. And I also respect the rebuild thoughts it just I feel we were too far commited to go that route. If we owned the our pick from the Kyle Lowry trade perphaps Id be right there with other posters about the rebuild now and fire Colangelo. But we dont instead we have a good young pg. Anyways great post hopefully it works out like you said and the Raps can be around a solid 5th with the potential too add pieces.

-Bargs has to go
-Kleiza has a player option next year so if we can trade him we better amnesty his a$$
-we have to fix the fields mistake somehow
-lots of solid PF in free agency this summer maybe a sign and trade can be worked out
Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #88
el gringos
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer

____

Just too soon to know.
Amare/Bargnani is closer than ever to possible. IMO both players fit each others teams perfectly

I think Toronto would want amare/James white/copeland for Bargnani/kleiza/fields

I think ny would want Bargnani/Amir j/kleiza for amare/Kurt Thomas/James white

Isn't there a way to meet in the middle?

Lowry
Derozen/fields
Gay
Amare
Val/Amir

That's an Mle gaurd off the bench away from a lot more than a perennial 8th seed. IMO that's a team that would be a 3-6 seed and capable of winning playoff series.
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #89
Legends66NBA7
Apex

Default Re: TRADE! Raptors get Rudy Gay in 3-team deal

Quote:
“This is the type of deal we have been looking for to take our team another step forward,” said Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo.

We take one step forward and 5 back. Good job BC, you jackass.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #90
Molson
Great young streetballer

Default Re: Raps In Trade Talks For Rudy Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by letshaveacorona
Personally I would prefer Josh Smith but unless Ive got an extnsions signed i wouldnt trade for him unless they were willing to take Barngani. lol

As far as Rudy Gay goes most of you ISH posters are talking crap about championship and how to get there. What are we talking bout CHAMPIONSHIP? I mean really we talkin bout CHAMIONSHIP right? I mean we havnet made the playoffs in how many years and we talkin bout CHAMPIONSHIP? We are the toronto raptors and we talkin bout CHAMPIONSHIP? CHAMPIONSHIIOP right?

Had to do that A.I thing there after reading all these posts about how Rudy Gay wont make us a championship team. lol seriously people

One foot in front of the other usually works best so in order to get to a, wait for it, CHAMPIONSHIP, we need to have a contending team. Before being contenders we need to be a playoff team. I know some you are catching on. lol Now Ive just sat through 5 or whatever stinkin years of garbage ball adn watching the draft more closely then i would have liked and now you want to blow this team up and you want me to sit through another 5 years of draft lotteries? All the while knowing that tanking most of the time DOES NOT WORK , draft position is based on a bunch pingballs, and we could possibly be in this here position 5 years from now if things dont go exatly as planned? Hell to the mothastinkin NO THANK YOU. Bring in Rudy Gay or Josh Smith and lets start winning some ball games to start.

Even Cleveland who drafted Lebron James never won a CHAMPIONSHIP.

I'm 100% on page with you...even if I keep hearing Herm Edwards' voice when I read this post.

I also feel your post, espcecially the point you make about Lebron and Cleveland, deserves more attention.

Last edited by Molson : 01-31-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: