Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #91
Molson
Great young streetballer

Molson has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official: Rudy Gay to Raptors for Ed Davis and Calderon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Nothing retains an already terrible players value like going on national TV to announce that you are definitely trading him!

Sweet negotiating tactics Colangelo.

If he says he is not trading Bargnani, he gets blasted for his man love.

If he says he is trading Bargnani, he gets blasted for bad negotiating tactics.

I hate BC as much as the next guy but......
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #92
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: TRADE! Raptors get Rudy Gay in 3-team deal

You can't compete without a championship level team. Non of the guys on this team has made it past the first round of the playoffs (Rudy was injured when the Grizzlies did), this team won't even get close to getting to the second round of the playoffs IMO.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #93
Molson
Great young streetballer

I've been on the tank train for a few years now but in reality, BC missed his chance and that idea needs to go on the backburner. We have an unhealthy franchise right now with a losing culture.

A losing culture, especially in Canada, does two things: It can stunt the development of young players and it makes it near impossible to attract good talent. The bleeding needs to stop.

Anyone who has ever played competitive sports knows that a confident player is a better player. There is no disputing that. We do not have a culture that breeds confidence.

However, if we make the playoffs one year and keep the core together, then you have a team with more confidence who will say "Hey, we finished 7th last year, maybe we can make a run at 3rd or 4th this year". Once you start making the playoffs on a regular basis, young players grow and free agenst become more interested.

I'm all for this deal.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #94
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

letshaveacorona has not been impressing people
Default Re: Raps In Trade Talks For Rudy Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
I'm 100% on page with you...even if I keep hearing Herm Edwards' voice when I read this post.

I also feel your post, espcecially the point you make about Lebron and Cleveland, deserves more attention.

HAHA i had to google Herm Edwards im embarassed to say i didnt know his name. This dude is awesome I can relate to his mental approach fosho.

http://youtu.be/IMk5sMHj58I
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #95
Molson
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letshaveacorona
HAHA i had to google Herm Edwards im embarassed to say i didnt know his name. This dude is awesome I can relate to his mental approach fosho.

http://youtu.be/IMk5sMHj58I

LOL...that's the exact rant i was thinking about! But to be fair, yours (the championship part...which cracked me up) is a little more like Jim Mora's famous playoff rant.

Check out last 10 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM
Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #96
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just incase anybody didn't know, Calderon was the last piece to go:

Now, what really is the difference ? I think we are about even or one case say we actually got worse, even with Gay on the team.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #97
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
LOL...that's the exact rant i was thinking about! But to be fair, yours (the championship part...which cracked me up) is a little more like Jim Mora's famous playoff rant.

Check out last 10 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

LOL...OMG that is spot on........Thanks buddy you made my day!!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #98
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I looked up the Jim Mora speech because that's what your "CHAMPIONSHIP" post reminded me of, but somebody beat me to the punch!
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #99
Molson
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I looked up the Jim Mora speech because that's what your "CHAMPIONSHIP" post reminded me of, but somebody beat me to the punch!

haha...it's such a classic!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #100
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

I was crackin up after watching this:

http://youtu.be/WK7lIjFsGvg
Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #101
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Per ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...trade-rudy-gay
Quote:
2. Good deal or bad deal for the Raptors?

Arnovitz: Bad deal, because in 18 months Davis will likely be the best player in the deal. Gay is pretty much the big gulp version of DeMar DeRozan -- a tall, inefficient slasher at his position who doesn't move the ball, doesn't shoot all that proficiently and doesn't stand out at the defensive end.

Crain: Bad deal. The Raptors have picked up salary for next season, lost a very valuable player and a good prospect, and landed a player who has yet to live up to his reputation in college or the pros. Gay is a dynamic player but not someone you build a franchise around, even though he is paid like it.

Feldman: Bad deal. The Raptors' four leaders in usage rate -- Rudy Gay, Andrea Bargnani, DeMar DeRozan and Alan Anderson -- all have field goal percentages below the league average. Everyone knows the best way to build a team is by stockpiling low-efficiency and high-priced (Anderson exempted on the latter) scorers. Right?

Levy: It's a wash. Gay has his problems, but he's a huge upgrade over anyone else the Raptors have run out at small forward. It does create a new set of problems on the perimeter, where he and DeRozan give the Raptors one of the worst outside-shooting wing tandems in the league. However, it's hard to criticize the Raptors too much for rolling the dice here.

Murphy: OK deal. They sold high on Jose Calderon and Ed Davis and bought low on Gay, the best player in the deal. Gay is overpaid but he is the best wing the Raptors have had since Vince Carter.

Nowell: Bad deal. Hard to see what the plan is in Toronto, where they are now building around an expensive core of athletic wings with limited creation skills. Perhaps, at least, this is the liberation Kyle Lowry and his army of blogger backers have been seeking his entire career.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #102
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15

Can't disagree with anything there.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #103
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Can't disagree with anything there.
Outside of Colangelo and management, I haven't seen very many people who consider this a win on our side. They needed cap flexibility, they got rid of Rudy's huge contract and then they get back a solid vet in Tayshaun, they snag Daye out of it, and they get a young cheap guy with promise in Ed Davis. We take on a huge contract when we were still pretty much a rebuilding team. To me, if Lebron James suddenly became available and for some reason decided he wants to play for Toronto by all means you do whatever it takes to get him. Why? Because no matter what type of team you've got, Lebron is a building block guy who you can build around for a championship. Rudy Gay is not. Sure it'll be exciting and up and down and we have dunkers, but we mortgaged our future for short term gains. Gains which I still don't believe will be much, if any.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #104
neilio23
I hit open layups

neilio23 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I'm excited for Landry Fields to be re-branded as a "versatile, intelligent, savvy" power forward by Devlin and crew. I can see it now, "you know Jack, Landry Fields playing at the 4 is going to be a matchup nightmare for opponents, he just knows how to play the game!"

Mother of god. Watch the latest Colangelo interview. Towards the end (maybe last minute) I kid you not, he suggests that Andersen and Fields can slide over to the 4.....
neilio23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #105
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio23
Mother of god. Watch the latest Colangelo interview. Towards the end (maybe last minute) I kid you not, he suggests that Andersen and Fields can slide over to the 4.....

On PTS he also said Anderson could play the 1. I subsequently threw up in my mouth.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: