Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #76
mattvNJ
Good High School Starter
 
mattvNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 892
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
Prince is not a good defender anymore, let a lone a beast. Hence, the overrating of him going on.

He is good for his experience and spot up shooting, but it's not as if he is some automatic knock down three point shooter either. Nor is Daye who has been a huge disappointment, IMO, in the NBA.

Shedding salary, and getting rid of Gay all make sense.. I just don't understand why some people, especially Memphis fans, are talking up these 3 players who belong on a bench with only Ed Davis being capable of being a good 6th man so much. Davis will be splitting time with Arthur as a backup PF/C.


Obviously we have to see how the teams fits together, but you can not honestly think Memphis looks better now on paper than they did 3 weeks ago before both trades. Again, I get the salary dump, but for Prince, Davis, and Daye? Really?

All im saying is yes on paper they do not look as good bc rudy is glorified to an extent in todays league for his high light plays and occasional big nights. But if you WATCH all their games like most of the grizz fans do this isnt a huge loss especially with the financial gains. Rudy is streaky, although i do agree the players were picked up werent ideal ive been saying pierce would be my favorite pick up, but i am not mad with what theyve done. To the person who said they were a second round exit i agree... unless somethign spectacular happens. But with gay i saw them at the same excact place exitting in the second round
mattvNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #77
hoopaddict08
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,795
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvNJ
All im saying is yes on paper they do not look as good bc rudy is glorified to an extent in todays league for his high light plays and occasional big nights. But if you WATCH all their games like most of the grizz fans do this isnt a huge loss especially with the financial gains. Rudy is streaky, although i do agree the players were picked up werent ideal ive been saying pierce would be my favorite pick up, but i am not mad with what theyve done. To the person who said they were a second round exit i agree... unless somethign spectacular happens. But with gay i saw them at the same excact place exitting in the second round

That is probably true. I never cared for Rudy but I feel like Memphis should have tried to get more young talent in return. Davis is the prize for them in this deal but they need to make room for him.
hoopaddict08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #78
AussieG
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
AussieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 765
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

It's not about if these are individual good players or not.. Prince vs Gay.. of course Gay is a better player. It's about how they fit. For the same reason why Pau or Dwight suck on the Lakers right now. It's not set in stone that Prince will help much.. but there is a chance he can. At least until proven otherwise. I don't know much about Davis.. then again he probably has much more upside than Hadaddi ever did.
AussieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #79
zac
Local High School Star
 
zac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 1,482
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieG
It's not about if these are individual good players or not.. Prince vs Gay.. of course Gay is a better player. It's about how they fit. For the same reason why Pau or Dwight suck on the Lakers right now. It's not set in stone that Prince will help much.. but there is a chance he can. At least until proven otherwise. I don't know much about Davis.. then again he probably has much more upside than Hadaddi ever did.
I've always thought Ed Davis was a young Jermaine O'neal. Very long and athletic, likes playing in the post, likes blocking shots, has a decent 10ft shot, has a weird hitch in his shot/FT. It's almost uncanny how much he mimics O'neal when you think about it. Perfect fit with Darrell Arthur I think.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #80
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,969
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
Prince is not a good defender anymore, let a lone a beast. Hence, the overrating of him going on.

He is good for his experience and spot up shooting, but it's not as if he is some automatic knock down three point shooter either. Nor is Daye who has been a huge disappointment, IMO, in the NBA.

Shedding salary, and getting rid of Gay all make sense.. I just don't understand why some people, especially Memphis fans, are talking up these 3 players who belong on a bench with only Ed Davis being capable of being a good 6th man so much. Davis will be splitting time with Arthur as a backup PF/C.


Obviously we have to see how the teams fits together, but you can not honestly think Memphis looks better now on paper than they did 3 weeks ago before both trades. Again, I get the salary dump, but for Prince, Davis, and Daye? Really?
meh, daye has been decent this year. Plays a fairly big bench role and is shooting over 50%? on threes. and has been a capable rebounder. Not a game changer, but I think the three pieces are a decent hall (and all fit their needs) for gay
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #81
Clifton
talk less, say more
 
Clifton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,111
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Honestly, although I think it's horrible contending teams are giving away players to cut salary, I think the Gay trade was just fine. Rudy Gay is one of those very good players who can't make a team better simply because his his strong points are generic and he's average at all the really important things (defense, passing, shooting, ballhandling). He's been pretty clutch by my observations, but he's simply not a good enough player to be a "go-to guy" in any situation, because of his average ballhandling, average shooting, and average passing.

In the clutch you want the PG handling the ball and working through Gasol and Randolph. Both these players can post up and pass. That puts much more pressure on the defense than a guy who can neither post up nor handle the ball with any real aptitude.

Prince is a better fit, and is a champion. This trade improves the Grizzlies IMO. It gives them someone to guard Durant and Kobe fairly well who won't distract from the team's true core of Gasol and Randolph.

What was abominable was when they gave away their entire bench for nothing. That trade was disgusting. If the Grizzlies don't look like contenders in a week or two, it will be because of the lack of bench, not losing Gay. That bench was better than most and has won them games.

Last edited by Clifton : 01-31-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #82
Fatstogey
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 55
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic_Pride
How consistent has Prince been with his outside shot lately?

Conley/Allen/Prince/Randolph/Gasol is probably the best defensive team in the league. With Gay gone, Gasol will probably get more touches which is the best thing for them!
I agree with this. Gasol should be getting more touches. And not that anyone doesnt make mistakes but i think Prince will be less likely to take horrible shots.
Fatstogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #83
veilside23
alternick = loser :D
 
veilside23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: P.I.
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

i think if the owner wants to save thats what he did save money. gay maybe irreplaceable just like what others said about harden and martin ... the grizz only needed gay at times when he gets hot or when they need a basket...
prince is not in the same mold anymore but he is still a decent player . they also get daye and ed davis which is somewhat equates this or makes it better in the long run.

rudy gay is good sf but wont even reach the level of a guy like butler in his glory days...
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #84
zac
Local High School Star
 
zac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 1,482
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #85
AussieG
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
AussieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 765
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

AussieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #86
d.bball.guy
Heat fan since 2014
 
d.bball.guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,474
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieG
Vintage Tayshaun
d.bball.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #87
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape
 
ClutchOver9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,842
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieG

Prince' EX/Super meter was all charged up

Pulled a page out of Lebron's book w/ his own rendition of "no-regard-for-human-life"
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #88
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 19,720
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Not the first time I've been wrong... and it surely won't be the last.


Although, I still question whether or not the Grizz get past OKC if Westbrook doesn't go down. That would have them losing in the same round they lost in last season.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #89
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: the land of the free
Posts: 3,710
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

I admit.... I was wrong about the Rudy Gay trade (thought it was bad). I was wrong about the Wayne Ellington trade (thought it was bad).

Clearly Wallace and Hollinger know what they are doing, and we're just armrchair quarterbacks making fun of them.

Congrats to the grizz! Spurs say bring it, because it's going to be a battle.
leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #90
Fallen Angel
Let The Games Begin
 
Fallen Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,156
Default Re: Grizzlies are for real now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Not the first time I've been wrong... and it surely won't be the last.


Although, I still question whether or not the Grizz get past OKC if Westbrook doesn't go down. That would have them losing in the same round they lost in last season.

they lost in the first round last year
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy