Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: I wonder how good Westbrook would've been if he was under Popovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
Not ANY player. I'm sure if he ruffled the feathers of a young stud Duncan, he might not have survived it. Duncan is very coachable so it doesn't matter, but Pop never really pulled Duncan like he had a TP or Ginobli.

That's what high bball IQ will do for you.
brandonislegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
Graviton
Cavs fan since 1970

Graviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

His 2nd/3rd seasons Westbrook averaged 8APG and took less shots when the coach actually wanted him to be a PG. Now Brooks wants him to score more and be aggressive.

Under Pop, Westbrook would be the clear cut best PG in the league. In that Spurs system he would be more efficient and productive. Right now OKC is basically riding Westbrook's/Durant's raw talents. There is no system, just ISOs mostly with some pick n roll.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #18
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Under Pop, Westbrook would be the clear cut best PG in the league. In that Spurs system he would be more efficient and productive. Right now OKC is basically riding Westbrook's/Durant's raw talents. There is no system, just ISOs mostly with some pick n roll.
This. Parker's BBall IQ wasn't that high, either. Parker as a young guy was basically a small and much less talented Westbrook, TBH. With a coach like Popovich, Westbrook would be a top 5 player and would win an MVP or two. As it is, he's a top 7 or 8 player, and the main reason he'll never win an MVP is because he's got Kevin Durant, who could end up a top 7 or 8 player ALL TIME, on his team.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #19
Budadiiii
Banned

Budadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation here

lol @ Pop dick riders. Guy was thoroughly outcoached in the WCF last year. Dude had the deepest team in the past 15 years and got his ass backdoor swept. Brooks is a better leader. Nobody likes Pop. He's boring. Excitement... enthusiasm.... passion... Those are what win big time games. Not some old, bitter ****** disciplining you army style with his ugly ass crater face. And what about the image of the franchise? Brooks is a good looking middle aged dude with noticeable confidence, Pop is an old, ugly, socially awkward drone.

Give me Brooks.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #20
gin17
High School JV MVP

gin17 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
Not ANY player. I'm sure if he ruffled the feathers of a young stud Duncan, he might not have survived it. Duncan is very coachable so it doesn't matter, but Pop never really pulled Duncan like he had a TP or Ginobli.
he never needed to. Duncan is the most coachable player in the league. he already had the discipline that Popovich wanted. but he is not afraid to sit him down if needed to, like what he did with their game with the heat
gin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #21
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
lol @ Pop dick riders. Guy was thoroughly outcoached in the WCF last year. Dude had the deepest team in the past 15 years and got his ass backdoor swept. Brooks is a better leader. Nobody likes Pop. He's boring. Excitement... enthusiasm.... passion... Those are what win big time games. Not some old, bitter ****** disciplining you army style with his ugly ass crater face. And what about the image of the franchise? Brooks is a good looking middle aged dude with noticeable confidence, Pop is an old, ugly, socially awkward drone.

Give me Brooks.

Last post I have to read before ignore thanks for all the laughs.
brandonislegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #22
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
The ****? He would be worse. Pop would try to sit him out a game and Westbrook would have him fired immediately. Pop is an overrated ***. Dude rode Robinson, Duncan, and Ginobli to 4 rings. I'd rather have Scotty Brooks TBH.

You cant possibly be serious, can you?
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #23
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Give me Brooks.
you gotta slow down bro. i love goatbrook too. but im pretty sure pop is a better coach than brooks. brooks aint a scrub though. hes just getting started, pop has been at it for 15+ years. if brooks can keep taking steps to winning it all, like spoelstra, he will be known as a good coach. he is getting his act together more this year. but hes a players coach. pop is more disciplinarian because that is who he was assistant coach with, i think larry brown.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #24
PJR
NBA lottery pick

PJR has a terrific reputationPJR has a terrific reputationPJR has a terrific reputationPJR has a terrific reputationPJR has a terrific reputationPJR has a terrific reputation

Pop would order R.C. Burford to trade Westbrook after his second year.
PJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #25
mikek85
I hit open 5-footers

mikek85 is considered somewhat coolmikek85 is considered somewhat coolmikek85 is considered somewhat cool

If you doubt Pop you obviously don't watch basketball or know what's going on.

Look at pop's rosters over the years and how he has guided that team. Pretty much any player would get better under
pop.

A good coach makes players better, and pop does that to pretty much anyone.
mikek85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #26
gin17
High School JV MVP

gin17 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek85
If you doubt Pop you obviously don't watch basketball or know what's going on.

Look at pop's rosters over the years and how he has guided that team. Pretty much any player would get better under
pop.

A good coach makes players better, and pop does that to pretty much anyone.
spurs drafting 2nd round no-name scrubs and turning them into valuable assets since 2000
gin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #27
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here

No way would Westbrook be taking so many boneheaded shot attempts. Pop would also not hold back and would be in his face constantly. Just look at how he treated Tony the first decade of his career.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #28
stevieming
Serious playground baller

stevieming has an OK reputation so far

Westbrook would be better.

Pop would have been able to whip him into taking better shots but also keep his fire and passion for the game.

WB although fiery isn't the same as downright thuggery players like R Patterson, or mental like Metta and Delonte West.

He just has a really high opinion of himself.
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #29
rmt
National High School Star

rmt is considered somewhat coolrmt is considered somewhat coolrmt is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Give me Brooks.

LOL - Pop is a very personable guy - his people skill is top-notch. That's one of the main reasons why all the players think of his as a father-figure. He balances the discipline with caring relationships.

Brooks has a lot of talent on OKC but has quite a way to go before matching Pop as a coach. Parker didn't have half the talent/shooting skill of Westbrook - was all speed and Pop has taught him a LOT. But OTOH, Parker is very coachable - took a lot of screaming from Pop to be where he is now.
rmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #30
Purch
"Yung D-Will"

Purch is considered somewhat coolPurch is considered somewhat coolPurch is considered somewhat cool

The amount of yelling Pop did to Tony early in his career, and even still in his later years seems crazy. Pop really had a big influence on who he became as a player. The biggest thing about Pop, is that he doesn't care if players get stats, he yells at them simply because he want's them to play basketball the right way.

Last edited by Purch : 02-01-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Purch is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: