Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Nanners
College star

Default Re: So my views on religion have changed a tad bit...

from my experience with atheists, they are normal and rational human beings who were not indoctrinated at an early age to believe that fairy tales are true.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
from my experience with atheists, they are normal and rational human beings who were not indoctrinated at an early age to believe that fairy tales are true.

What project building did you grow up in as a child?
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
Nanners
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
What project building did you grow up in as a child?

what the fvck kind of question is this? what does growing up in the projects have to do with atheism? how tarded are you bro?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
I'm sure many of you have seen me in religious arguments as an atheist and mocking others for their religion and all that.

Just to preface: I don't believe in a God, a religion, or a deity.

So my gf and I have been going with some friends to the "atheist club" over at the university. They have some decent discussions and what not. Last night some christian students and pretty much everyone else against them were debating whether so and so things from the bible are valid or whether Christianity is inherently evil,etc.

Ironic though, atheists can sometimes be the most closed-minded people of them all. This one guy called everyone in the middle east "savages who know nothing about civilization".

I realized in the middle of all this...what is the point of arguing all this and whether it is valid or not? One person for and one against could sit there for 24 hours every day and still not agree on anything.

I think the debate has taken a pointless turn in that respect. I think that what has to happen with religion and non-religious people is a certain understanding for the betterment of society. I have no problem with anyone worshiping anything, even if I think it's completely wrong. I think that everyone should believe what they want, BUT the debate should center on how people can still follow all the laws of society, show respect for those of other religions, and not promote the hate/resentment of arguments like I saw last night.

Point blank, I have more respect for a religious person who practices good values and is respectful of others than some atheist ass hat that thinks he's smarter than the rest of the population and better than others for not believing in a religion. I see a lot of those people and I have to say I can see why religious people don't like atheists even more.

Overall, I still wouldn't believe in any religion or god, but I can see that people follow a religion as a code of ethics and beliefs and for the most part do so peacefully. We must work with them to ensure they evolve as society does and that religion/non-religion can coexist in the same realm.

Thoughts?

I am not religion, but I am a theist, and a former atheist...when I see many atheists debate in here and in RL it reminds me a lot of myself in the past, and now I can see how snarky and arrogant I must have come off.

and yes atheists are as close minded as it gets...reject everything
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

Quote:
Actually I grew up in a very conservative religious family but as George Carlin would say "I was [religious] until I reached the age of reason".
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
kNicKz
College superstar

Quote:

kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

I was actually reading study that close 60% of all Atheists suffer from a mental disorder. Such as depression, bi-polar disorder, etc.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #23
Nanners
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz

saying atheists are "normal and rational" is an obnoxious tirade about my own intellectual superiority? you and slikk both missed the short bus this morning huh?

i am not even an atheist. i am agnostic

Last edited by Nanners : 02-01-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
Nanners
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
I was actually reading study that close 60% of all Atheists suffer from a mental disorder. Such as depression, bi-polar disorder, etc.

cool study bro. this totally explains why academics and college-grads are much more likely to be atheist than the average high school drop-out wal-mart employee.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
kNicKz
College superstar

You called someone's belief system a fairy tale, so don't act like you didn't come off as a rude, arrogant bitch when you get called out...
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #26
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Seriously, what kind of losers go to an Atheist discussion group? Lol

Sounds like fun right?
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

Atheist clubs also double as weight watchers meetings
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #28
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Atheism is just a dense view of reality and rest solely on a contradictory premise: if the reason why you are atheist is because you do not believe in the bible, then being against religion makes your perspective a contradiction. The bible does not support what you believe in, so you go against it because you do not believe in it. It is a completely stupid position and makes you as worse (if not more) as the religious fanatics you are hating. Joining a cult (club) has now made you close minded fanatic.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #29
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
cool study bro. this totally explains why academics and college-grads are much more likely to be atheist than the average high school drop-out wal-mart employee.

Academics are pretty stupid compare to the geniuses (Einstein, Kant, Newton, Nietzche, Schopenhauer, Tesla, etc.) of our civilization who all happens to believe in the spiritual side of reality.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #30
Nanners
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
You called someone's belief system a fairy tale, so don't act like you didn't come off as a rude, arrogant bitch when you get called out...

unless you actually believe in magic, it is pretty obviously a fairy tale.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: