Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board
Default Re: Aussies, please tell me about Adelaide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
Sorry to tell you but Adelaide is the shit major city of Australia. It's basically a much shitter version of Perth. The only good things about Adelaide are the Barossa Valley and the fact that it has German roots so you know things will run smoothly and the food is good.

Ive been all over Australia and from my and other opinions the general consensus is; Melbourne and Sydney are the two best overall cities, Gold Coast is a great place to visit and Perth is the best place to live. Canberra and Adelaide are both shit.

All cities in Australia are expensive as everyone makes a fair amount and we dont tip over here.

Go to a footy game. Everyone always loves that. Everyone also lives within 20 mins of the beach as well which is great.

The food is important. The non-tipping part I can get used too I think. I assume the service will be slower though but that won't be an issue for me.

I've never lived in a city before so you have to look at it from my point of view. Everything will be new so I'll be really enjoying it.

And wine is awesome.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
outbreak
Custom User Title

outbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
The food is important. The non-tipping part I can get used too I think. I assume the service will be slower though but that won't be an issue for me.

I've never lived in a city before so you have to look at it from my point of view. Everything will be new so I'll be really enjoying it.

And wine is awesome.

If you've never lived in a city before maybe you won't find Adelaide as small and boring as others do. All in all I'd rate most of Australia's big cities over most cities in U.S.A for actual livability
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
eriX
High School Starter

eriX has decent reputation

Don't forget about the plentiful amount of 'lads' you will encounter during your time in strayyaaa.
eriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #19
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

And wine is awesome.

The service isn't any slower or worse. The establishment simply pays their employees.

Honestly, Adelaide isn't that bad. There is plenty of places to go on a Friday and Saturday night. Hell, even on Sunday, you have the Grand (a bar) on the beach which is always packed and goes off. Its really quite alright if you find your niche places. Just in terms of variety and wilds nights its not as good as Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. Its better than Perth for clubbing though.

Beach is great and its a very European type city. Like a smaller Melbourne. Far smaller. Soccer is really big in Adelaide due to the big Italian and Greek population. Soccer games are really great; probably the best soccer crowds in terms of enthusiasm.
plowking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #20
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
The service isn't any slower or worse. The establishment simply pays their employees.

Honestly, Adelaide isn't that bad. There is plenty of places to go on a Friday and Saturday night. Hell, even on Sunday, you have the Grand (a bar) on the beach which is always packed and goes off. Its really quite alright if you find your niche places. Just in terms of variety and wilds nights its not as good as Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. Its better than Perth for clubbing though.

Beach is great and its a very European type city. Like a smaller Melbourne. Far smaller. Soccer is really big in Adelaide due to the big Italian and Greek population. Soccer games are really great; probably the best soccer crowds in terms of enthusiasm.

That's my kind of shit right there.

Looks like it's not a bad place to live.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #21
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

It's fine, honestly. People will say there's nothing to do, but you just gotta know the places to go to.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #22
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Thats everywhere in Australia.

Australia as a whole is great. Far and away the best place I have lived.

If you haven't lived in a city before than im sure you will like Adelaide. When you want to try a bigger city, hop over to Melbourne or Sydney.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
Hittin_Shots
National High School Star

Hittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation hereHittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation hereHittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation hereHittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation hereHittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation hereHittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation here

Did you make the decision?
Hittin_Shots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittin_Shots

I actually got an e-mail about the job today to make sure to apply and they'll process it through.

But this looks like the #1 international opportunity for me. So if they offer, I'm going.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #25
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittin_Shots

Yeah, I'm definitely going. Probably sooner than I anticipated. Like less than three weeks.

And I'm going to Brisbane now.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #26
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely going. Probably sooner than I anticipated. Like less than three weeks.

And I'm going to Brisbane now.
Good. Brisbane is 100x better than Adelaide.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #27
SevereUpInHere
Utryin2getthepipe?

SevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
Good. Brisbane is 100x better than Adelaide.

Yeah Brissie is great, spent a lot of time there when I was living on the GC. Bonus is it is close to a lot of nice beaches too.
SevereUpInHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #28
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
Yeah Brissie is great, spent a lot of time there when I was living on the GC. Bonus is it is close to a lot of nice beaches too.
Yeah Brisbane itself isn't great, but its close to a lot of good places.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #29
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
Yeah Brisbane itself isn't great, but its close to a lot of good places.

Got a question. I'll be making in the 100k-120k range while living there.

I'll be working approximately half the year in the outback and everything will be paid for while I'm there.

Is that a pretty good livable wage there? I probably won't be rich but I'll have enough money to have a good time. I'll have pretty much zero debt.

It won't be an expat assignment and I know the tax rate is a tad higher than the US.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #30
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Got a question. I'll be making in the 100k-120k range while living there.

I'll be working approximately half the year in the outback and everything will be paid for while I'm there.

Is that a pretty good livable wage there? I probably won't be rich but I'll have enough money to have a good time. I'll have pretty much zero debt.

It won't be an expat assignment and I know the tax rate is a tad higher than the US.

You'll be fine. More than fine. 120k might not get you what it would in the USA, but you're still in the top bracket as far as earnings go, even here. Especially with everything else paid for.

If you're in Brissie and keen for a basketball game, let me know.
plowking is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: