Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #31
SevereUpInHere
Utryin2getthepipe?

SevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation hereSevereUpInHere has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Aussies, please tell me about Adelaide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
Yeah Brisbane itself isn't great, but its close to a lot of good places.

Each to his own, I loved the city and found it a lot less pretentious and fake than the GC. I lived GC for 6 years and it's getting worse if that's possible.
SevereUpInHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #32
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
Each to his own, I loved the city and found it a lot less pretentious and fake than the GC. I lived GC for 6 years and it's getting worse if that's possible.

Agreed. The place is soo shady and messed up.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #33
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Congrats on the job Hawker. I was (sort of) in your neck of the woods last hitch. Working around Sterling City, TX. Gonna be back up in Alberta for at least the next couple months, though.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #34
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Congrats on the job Hawker. I was (sort of) in your neck of the woods last hitch. Working around Sterling City, TX. Gonna be back up in Alberta for at least the next couple months, though.

Thanks dude. And sorry about being a prick on here from time to time.

I'm actually in New Mexico right now. We're mainly natural gas so we've been slow as fuck right now. We literally only had one frac this past month and we fucked up. I'm ready to get outta here...I'll miss colorado and boarding there but that'll be about it.

How'd you like West Texas?
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #35
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Thanks dude. And sorry about being a prick on here from time to time.

I'm actually in New Mexico right now. We're mainly natural gas so we've been slow as fuck right now. We literally only had one frac this past month and we fucked up. I'm ready to get outta here...I'll miss colorado and boarding there but that'll be about it.

How'd you like West Texas?
Oh yeah, we had a slow year too cause a lot of our work is in natural gas. Luckily winter is the busy season up here, we've been fracing anywhere from 10-15 days of our 15 day hitch the last couple months.

Texas was different. Stayed in Odessa. Weather was nice, equivalent to probably May or even June up here. I went and saw Ratliff Stadium, next time I'm down I'll have to get some Permian gear. Very dead and barren though, lots of garbage on the sides of the highways. Like I said we worked further south towards San Angelo and it's definitely country I'm unaccustomed to seeing. Fracing is so much easier in Texas... no snow, no ice, no chaining up your trucks, no worry about your lines freezing solid.

Job-wise, some things were definitely different, but fracing's fracing, and I enjoyed it nonetheless. Like I said we're very busy up here right now so I won't be back down to TX until we slow down, which will be when the snow starts to melt and make things too soft to get trucks on location (called "spring breakup") up here, that'll be probably mid-April I'm guessing. I just went down this hitch to get my work visa approved and all that good shit. Now I can go back down and work whenever for the next three years til it expires.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #36
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, we had a slow year too cause a lot of our work is in natural gas. Luckily winter is the busy season up here, we've been fracing anywhere from 10-15 days of our 15 day hitch the last couple months.

Texas was different. Stayed in Odessa. Weather was nice, equivalent to probably May or even June up here. I went and saw Ratliff Stadium, next time I'm down I'll have to get some Permian gear. Very dead and barren though, lots of garbage on the sides of the highways. Like I said we worked further south towards San Angelo and it's definitely country I'm unaccustomed to seeing. Fracing is so much easier in Texas... no snow, no ice, no chaining up your trucks, no worry about your lines freezing solid.

Job-wise, some things were definitely different, but fracing's fracing, and I enjoyed it nonetheless. Like I said we're very busy up here right now so I won't be back down to TX until we slow down, which will be when the snow starts to melt and make things too soft to get trucks on location (called "spring breakup") up here, that'll be probably mid-April I'm guessing. I just went down this hitch to get my work visa approved and all that good shit. Now I can go back down and work whenever for the next three years til it expires.

Yeah, I've experienced a bit of that here in NM and up in Williston (**** that place...not even close to being worth the money). It sucks. I've never had to chain up my pick up but I help the crew chain up when I can and man it sucks. These guys work hard man...It was below freezing all day every day for a month. Coldest winter they've had in a long ass time. Every day I woke up it was single ****ing digits...I went to location and it was -10. ****ing snow and ice everywhere. I'll always remember it...huge change from growing up in Texas.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #37
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Yeah, I've experienced a bit of that here in NM and up in Williston (**** that place...not even close to being worth the money). It sucks. I've never had to chain up my pick up but I help the crew chain up when I can and man it sucks. These guys work hard man...It was below freezing all day every day for a month. Coldest winter they've had in a long ass time. Every day I woke up it was single ****ing digits...I went to location and it was -10. ****ing snow and ice everywhere. I'll always remember it...huge change from growing up in Texas.
Oh yeah. Honestly though I'm in a position where I'm inside all the time when we're fracing so it's not so bad, but definitely winter has its complications. Chains are a minor nuisance once you figure them out, but one thing about them is that they are a HUGE pain in the ass to navigate with gloves, so when it's cold as f*ck and your linking them up barehanded... man that sucks.

Showed up for a night shift in early December where day shift had frozen everything solid. I mean solid. Was probably -30 out. Pumps, iron, hoses, thank god not the blender (it was circulating)... what a nightmare. Took a steam hose to everything for 12 hours and still weren't finished thawing everything when day shift showed up again.

Winter complications suck. Luckily we mostly do ball drops now so we don't have to stop pumping between zones but when we were doing plug and perf it sucked. Pump, then have to go empty lines while wireline ran down and shot off, put iron back together, rinse, repeat. Winter makes everything shitty. But it's also the three months where we make like 1/2 of our yearly income.

And I actually lived in eastern ND for four years. Winter is hell. Worse than what we get in AB. Had an apartment with baseboard heating that was so cold we left 30 packs in the living room all night - they stayed cold. Had 2 heat lamps, multiple blankets, and still went fully clothed, jackets, beanies, etc. to bed. Just hell.

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 02-26-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #38
Balla_Status

I leave this Saturday for Brisbane. Can't wait!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #39
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Hit us up for a game of ball, or soccer.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #40
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Good luck! Do you have a sister I can marry to get a green card?
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #41
Balla_Status

Made it! Damn what a journey. I'm tired as balls right now. This place is pretty humid...reminds me of Texas. The city is nice though...I'm about to pop out and take a look at it. Going to do the touristy thing and head down to queen street mall. I need a few things anyway.

I laughed this morning when I jumped into the taxi to the hotel. The driver had talk radio on and they were talking about gun crime in America and how illogical we are and stupid to not be doing background checks. "I can't even respect someone who things background checks shouldn't be allowed."

Qantas is a sick airline and immigration wasn't even an issue at the airport. I had my electronic travel visa and I really didn't even need it. They just stamped it and said go on through. I was like, "oh well thank you...cheerio mate. G'Day!" Not really but I wanted to so bad.

I didn't tip the taxi driver...that's ok right? I mean I guess I should've done a dollar but I only have $50 AUD bills.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #42
Balla_Status

Serious Questions:

How do you guys watch american sports? I'm assuming I'll have to use a lot of firstrowsports and rojadirecta.es but do american sports ever get shown in Australia?

Mainly concerned about basketball, NFL and college football.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #43
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Serious Questions:

How do you guys watch american sports? I'm assuming I'll have to use a lot of firstrowsports and rojadirecta.es but do american sports ever get shown in Australia?

Mainly concerned about basketball, NFL and college football.

We don't tip over here at all unless the service is beyond excellent so don't worry about tipping a taxi driver.

Basketball: NBA games are on pay tv once or twice a week, you should buy NBA game time.
I would say go watch the Australian league but the regular season just finished and from memory Adelaide finished last.

NFL: Again there are a couple of games a week on pay tv but the time difference is awful so they are on at 2-6am usually. The primetime games are usually televised (Sunday night and monday night football for you).
Buy NFL game time.

College football: Don't think that is played at all over here. We don't play American football over here so no one really cares for it. We get some NFL but even that isn't very popular.
Probably an online stream is the way to go.

You should try to catch some AFL. Number one sport over here and it is the only sport that has its own pay tv channel. The season just started and the Adelaide Crows are one of the better teams in the league (even though they just lost to my team). Adelaide's other team (Port Adelaide) are garbage. Don't bother going to any of their games as no one does and they are awful.

You will come to realise that we don't make too big of a deal about sports over here. We don't get college sport scholarships so there is no college (university) sports and most of our good sportsmen go overseas aside from our AFL players.

Last edited by B-Easy8 : 03-25-2013 at 04:16 AM.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #44
JerryWest
kobeee!!

JerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryJerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I wanna go to australia
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #45
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
We don't tip over here at all unless the service is beyond excellent so don't worry about tipping a taxi driver.

Basketball: NBA games are on pay tv once or twice a week, you should buy NBA game time.
I would say go watch the Australian league but the regular season just finished and from memory Adelaide finished last.

NFL: Again there are a couple of games a week on pay tv but the time difference is awful so they are on at 2-6am usually. The primetime games are usually televised (Sunday night and monday night football for you).
Buy NFL game time.

College football: Don't think that is played at all over here. We don't play American football over here so no one really cares for it. We get some NFL but even that isn't very popular.
Probably an online stream is the way to go.

You should try to catch some AFL. Number one sport over here and it is the only sport that has its own pay tv channel. The season just started and the Adelaide Crows are one of the better teams in the league (even though they just lost to my team). Adelaide's other team (Port Adelaide) are garbage. Don't bother going to any of their games as no one does and they are awful.

You will come to realise that we don't make too big of a deal about sports over here. We don't get college sport scholarships so there is no college (university) sports and most of our good sportsmen go overseas aside from our AFL players.

Thanks for the post. I wish I could change the thread title but I'm actually living in Brisbane now. I was at the Queen Street mall today this afternoon and it was really busy...on a Monday afternoon. And I took the ferry up and down the river to get over the jet lag.

I had quite a laugh over the aussie school boys...dressed ridiculously awesome. It's like a mix of crocodile dundee and english school boy.

I'll catch an AFL game for sure. And rugby here in Brisbane. Australia seems nice.

Last edited by Balla_Status : 03-25-2013 at 03:27 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: