Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

RoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: LifeProTips! Tips that improves your life in a meaningful way.

Quote:
LPT - Use a can opener to open those endlessly-annoying blister packs and avoid cutting yourself.
RoboticWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

RoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
LPT: ctrl+shift+v does a "paste without formatting"

This pastes the copied text without the formatting from the copying source. Ex., copying from a website into word, the copied text has the original formatting from the website. By doing a ctrl+shift+v the copied text is pasted in the current formatting of word.

Edit:
  • This not only works for word, but also for other applications, where formatting is used. Ex., pasting into gmail.
  • I use Windows, therefore, I can testify this for Windows 7. Also, Linux has the same shortcut for pasting into terminals.
  • Ctrl+alt+v brings the "paste special" in excel.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Cut open toilet paper rolls and use as a cuff to save your wrapping paper and keep it from unrolling.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #19
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Wait 3-6 months after making a lifestyle change before telling anyone about it
I'm going to use some examples here, but this can be a useful tip for how not to be an asshole for everyone. If you have decided to attempt keto/become an atheist/start lifting/discover feminism/not to have kids, I would suggest giving yourself some time before making an attempt to announce it to your family and friends. These are the people we tend to alienate the most because they are closest to us. And if you are a minor who is dependent upon your parents, I suggest seriously considering not making an announcement at all unless you are being physically or emotionally harmed.
I know when you discover something you are suddenly passionate about, you want to tell the world about it. It's natural to want so badly to share with those closest to you this exciting new discovery you have made. It has changed your life, and there is a whole new world out there and you want to recruit others to share in it as well because you have found the key to happiness.
I suggest taking some time to learn about this new area you have discovered before you start telling everyone else why they are suddenly wrong or how they are smothering and disrespecting you. Read as much as you can, live your lifestyle for a few months, and see if it becomes just another thing you do or think rather than something you are. Ask yourself why what everyone else is doing is suddenly wrong, what you have to gain by sharing this information about yourself, and if you are bringing something positive to the conversation rather than trying to bring everyone else down.
We see a lot of rants in our favorite threads, and we can identify. "Everyone is stupid but us. Why don't they get it? Why aren't they listening to me?" Your approach has a lot to do with how people perceive you, and how they will perceive what it is you are representing.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: What to look for when buying a used vehicle.

Mileage doesn't mean much, look at the brake pedal. Cars even with low miles (40,000) and a worn brake pedal pad usually means that car has seen a lot of city (stop and go) driving which is hard on the transmission.
Look at the tires. Worn on edges generally means either worn wheel bearings or bad alignment. BRAND NEW tires is usually a "quick fix" for this and masks the problem for a few thousand miles.
Look at the body lines where the doors, hood, and trunk lid meet. The gap should be the same the entire way around. If it is closer or further apart in some areas it usually means the car has been in some accident. Cars from the factory have equal lines.
Look at the paint. It should all be the same color completely all the way around. If it is slightly different shades on panels or in the door jams it usually means body work was done and they did not match the color correctly. Look for bubbles in paint or very small holes in body panels (could be "tip of iceberg" for rust and could lead to serious body work shortly down the road).
Inspect the underside of the car. I have personally seen cars with less than 30,000 miles look great around the outside and inside but be rotted and rusted under them due to sitting for long periods of time or road salt in many northern states.
Be wary of later model cars with low miles. 1992 22,000 grandma drove it to the store once a month. Avoid low mile older cars they tend to be very unreliable due to drive-train seals drying out from lack of use.
Test drive the car and drive it harder than you normally would drive it. Accelerate hard and brake hard listen for odd noises coming from engine or transmission, and check for pulsing in brakes or pulling one way or the other on the steering wheel. Lightly hold the steering wheel on a straight section of road. Make sure it doesn't pull to one side or the other and watch it to see if it shakes.
Try all windows, hood release, locks, keys in all doors and trunk. Not hard to change a door or hood for another of same color and most people forget to change the lock cylinder. Another sign it may have had a small accident.
Ask for maintenance log or records of upkeep. Did they change the oil every 3-5,000 miles. Did they buy tires in pairs/sets or single tires at a time (could be sign of alignment problem again)
Look under the hood are there signs of recent cleaning? (not always a bad thing on a overall clean car but many people pressure wash engines that leak oil so they look nice). Pull the engine oil dipstick (is it low on the stick or very high up the stick. Is the oil clean or black like they have not changed it recently). Pull the transmission oil dipstick (only automatics have this generally. The fluid should be a nice red color and shouldn't glimmer like it has glitter in it. smell it YES smell it. It shouldn't smell burnt.) Remove the radiator cap ONLY IF ENGINE IS COLD! Coolant should be either Green, Yellow, or Red depending on type it uses. If it looks like a milkshake that could be headgasket or oil cooler in radiator has failed. level should also be to full mark on overflow tank and near the top on radiator (some cars dont have caps on radiator and only have one on overflow tank.
Check all windows for cracks or chips. Chipped windows can become cracks sometimes and can be pricy if you don't have glass coverage.
Look at dash with key in run position (Not running) and look for check engine light. If light doesnt show at all then it is either burned out or removed. Owner could be hiding a major problem. With car running there should be no dash lights. At most the seatbelt light may be on if you don't have the seatbelt buckled.
Check the heater controls and be sure the positions change as well as the temperature and fan speeds. Does the A/C work? (may seem like it works great on a cooler weather day such as 60 degrees out but really doesn't work well.
Don't always trust them with sayings like "My mechanic said it just needs a sensor that is $30". Sure that sounds nice but why didn't they have it fixed if it is a cheap part? Could be that part along with a ton of labor (lots of $$$$) or could be something worse than that part and they are making it sound better. Also be careful if they include the parts needed to fix in the deal. Once again they may know something you don't about fixing that part.
Grab wheels and shake them both at the top and the sides. If you notice something seems loose it could be ball joints, tie rods, or wheel bearings.
One of the biggest things is DO NOT let them tour you around the car until you have looked it over yourself. Also don't be afraid to ask questions about something.
Is it a smoker car or non-smoker. With the heat on in a non smoker car you shouldn't smell any smoke (smoke smell is almost impossible to get out of heater vents). Also look for burns in the seats, carpet, or headliner.
Remove the spare tire from the trunk and look for signs of dampness or rust. When trunk seals go it tends to gather here and rust the trunk floor out.
Be sure to closely inspect cars with aftermarket lights, bumpers, grills, hoods and so on. Aftermarket parts are usually cheaper then OEM parts and could be accident cover up!
Ask when the timing belt has been replaced (applies to cars with timing belts and not timing chains) They have a replacement interval and could fail if not replaced at or close to this mileage. Broken timing belts could cause very expensive engine damage.
Im sure there are many many more things to look for but this is a pretty good list of things I look for when buying cars.

EDIT: Also Google the vehicle you are going to look at. Many times Google will lead you to sites that tell you common problems with the vehicle. Example: 2003-2006 Ford 6.0L Diesels had many head-gasket problems. You can use this knowledge to see if the owner has had this problem addressed. If not you may be able to talk the price down some to pay for the problem to be fixed.
EDIT 2: Regarding buying from dealers. In a good world yes most people would deal with one. But there are a large group that buys from private people. This post is directed more towards that. Its off figuring you show up to some guys house to look at his car. Although these are also great things to look for anytime you buy a vehicle.
EDIT 3: To people thinking things such as "You need to jack it up" or "Misaligned panels doesn't always mean accident". I know I'm saying your driving down the road a private party has a car in their front yard. You stop in to give it a look-over. Here is a list to help you out. This isn't you're a fully prepared mechanic going to look at a vehicle full truck of tools to check everything, or that a door that is a different color means run away screaming. Example: Went to lake for a day fishing. On the way home I see a 2000 Jeep wrangler for sale sign stuck in window. I have zero tools/books/charts with me. Give it a look-over to my checklist above then I can go about deciding if its worth buying (perhaps talking price down if you can) or hoping back in my truck and going on my way.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: If you ever have two or more identical keys, use different color Sharpie's along the grooves to identify. Won't smudge or fade.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Don't want people to take your milk from the fridge at work? Put it in a weird container e.g a jam jar. Nobody drinks weird-ass jam jar milk.
Or get some "For rectal use only" stickers.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
A Guide to Looking Snazzy in a Suit

FULL SIZE IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/qwUCw.jpg
Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
If you are going to rent a storage unit, wait until after a heavy rain.
So you can see if it leaks or water runs under the door.

Also, use pallets under your stuff so even if it does leak, your stuff is still safe.

^This is terrible if you're storing pallets, though. In which case you should stack your pallets on top of boxes of clothes and other personal items.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
Budadiiii
Heroin Boyz

Budadiiii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBudadiiii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBudadiiii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBudadiiii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBudadiiii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBudadiiii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBudadiiii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBudadiiii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This is all basic knowledge

Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #26
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: How to avoid buying stuff from co-workers
Whenever someone comes around saying "Would you like to buy blah blah blah, my kid is going to do whatever."
This has helped me avoid that situation for almost 20 years.
I tell them, "Yes, I would love to! But your child has to be the one to ask me." I then give them my number and say the child can call anytime after 6pm.
In 20 years, I have had one phone call.
I figure if a kid is not willing to pick up the phone and say "Hello, Mr Spalding. My name is Jennifer, I understand you work with my Dad. I am selling rocks out of your own driveway to fund my trip to Washington DC, would you care to help me out?" I am freaking sale at that point! Teach the kids the importance of networking, speaking clearly and asking for the sale! Not that Mommy or Daddy will sell your crap for you.

Last edited by RoboticWang : 02-02-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #27
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Shift + Delete erases embarassing suggestions in your browser.
Use arrow keys to select the suggestion, then hit Shift + Delete to erase them.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #28
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: How to get hired: visual guidelines for your next job interview
CLICK.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #29
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Turns out that toothpaste clears up hazy car headlights
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #30
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: How to feel well-rested in the morning.

From my own experience, it's all about giving yourself the right habits:
  • Stop drinking caffeine. Cut it out entirely. Take aspirin for the couple days of headaches. Then when you need it once a month, it will actually be a boost instead of "reset to not drowsy". Even then, take it (small quantities: tea not soda) in the morning, never in the evening (it has a half life of around 5 hours).
  • Stop making up lost sleep on the weekends, by getting more sleep on the weekdays. Make a schedule and stick to it. Do you need 8 hours of sleep to function? Do you take an hour to fall asleep? Do you need to be up at 7AM? Aim to go to bed at 10PM, every single night of the week. Are you an insomniac who needs 2 hours to fall asleep but only 4 hours of actual sleep to function? Fine! Plan for six (but seriously consider meditation classes for while you're waiting to fall asleep). You can adjust this as you go but force yourself to lie in bed at that time for a couple weeks until you're used to it. If your schedule won't allow this much time set aside for sleep, re-evaluate your life (I used to be an MMORPG addict and now regularly go weeks without playing a game).
  • Stop snoozing / setting multiple alarms. Snooze sleep is not worthy sleep. Set your alarm for the last possible time you can get up (I don't mean like "not even time to shower" but the last possible time to do your entire morning routine with a little urgency). Then train yourself to get up as soon as it goes off.
  • Regular exercise (any kind of exertion; walking a few miles a day totally counts) is really important, you're not going to sleep well after an all-day movie/gaming marathon.
  • Light can be more powerful (but shorter lasting) at keeping you awake than caffeine. In the morning get that awakeness you lost giving up caffeine by opening the windows and letting the sun shine in. But you also need to give yourself a sense when it's getting dark so your body can wind down. Dimmers are cheap and easy to install. Make sure your alarm clock isn't a beacon of light. Put sticky notes over it if you have to dim it, you shouldn't be able to read it well in daytime. I use a projection clock because I sleep with my head facing up and I don't have to move (or mentally wake up) much to read the time from the ceiling at night (it's unreadable with the bedroom light on).
  • Oh it's an hour before bed-time and it takes 45 to 90 minutes to play a round of a video game? NO. BAD. Even at 45 minutes that's a lot of light in your face right before bed. Honestly you're better off spending that last hour with some human contact (in a low light area) or (at least for me with some self control) on reddit with the enhancement suite's dark background on.
  • When you do wake up in the middle of the night, keep it simple so you don't "rev up" your brain to full awakeness. A bathroom nightlight is good, depending on your vision you may need to tape it darker.
  • The bed is for sleeping and sex, nothing else. Pull the reading light and TV out of the bedroom. For that matter, I try to get my sex done in the mornings or day time so she's not pining for it when I'm trying to sleep. Back to the light thing, I bought blackout curtains and keep mine as dark as possible.
  • Dunno about diet though I generally don't worry about mine. Do you wake up hungry and then can't fall back asleep? Eat more non-sugary foods before bed (okay maybe not right before bed but soon enough). Capping the night with a small sugary food can be a digestive aid, but I mean like one cookie.
  • I found myself futily waking up many nights because I was too warm. I then read somewhere that your body temperature naturally goes up at a certain point in your sleep. I bought a programmable thermostat for my central A/C in the summer (apologies if you don't have this option), and set it to go down two degrees at approximately 2.5 hours before I planned on waking up. It makes a huge difference.
  • Establish boundaries with your bed-mates. If they are disruptive, you can tell pets what to do by locking them out. Humans require a little more negotiation. Let your partner know when you are getting ready for bed "I'm brushing my teeth now" and encourage them to get their pajamas out of the bedroom because you're going to sleep soon and don't want them to have to turn on the light. Over time if you're consistent, your partner will probably end up in bed 5 minutes after you most nights anyway. Noisy neighbors? Get a pack of earplugs and learn how to properly insert them.
  • Don't ever use any kind of drug to help yourself sleep. Count your alcoholic drinks and switch to water at the appropriate amount of time before your planned bed time. Think of it like planning to have your hangover as you're falling asleep, and then it never comes. "Passed out" is never the same as "asleep".
Do most of this and you'll find yourself calmly waking up just before your alarm, consistently. It's what works for me, I'm not trying to be demanding I just try to consider them absolute rules to myself. They switched me from a "night person" to a "morning person".

Last edited by RoboticWang : 02-02-2013 at 08:47 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: