Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Earl Clark a free agent after the season

With his breakout season, Lakers forward Earl Clark faces an unexpected reality.

Once he becomes an unrestricted free agent in July, he'll likely have some interest. What does he think about his future?

"It's not like I'm this big free agent where I'll be at SportsCenter and people are asking me where I'm going," said Clark, who's making $1.2 million this season. "I'm focusing on the game and trying to continue to play well."

-- LA Daily News
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Earl Clark a free agent after the season

Someone with cap space will snatch him away. He's earned himself some cushion.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
ispin69
Banned

ispin69 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryispin69 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryispin69 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Hope Cuban takes him. Someone will offer 3-5mil a year + for 2-3 year contract.
ispin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Someone with cap space will snatch him away. He's earned himself some cushion.

Yup, the Lakers will have to replace him with another guy on a rookie contract. The new CBA kicks in next year and the Lakers have too much payroll. They aren't going to be able to keep the guys who have earned themselves more money. There's definitely going to be another guy like Sacre on the team who doesn't really deserve to be there but because of the cap there will be a spot for them.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Yup, the Lakers will have to replace him with another guy on a rookie contract. The new CBA kicks in next year and the Lakers have too much payroll. They aren't going to be able to keep the guys who have earned themselves more money. There's definitely going to be another guy like Sacre on the team who doesn't really deserve to be there but because of the cap there will be a spot for them.

Unless of course we lose Pau for some cap relief, and picks. I still think he can reel in a good future for the team. He's not completely done.

Then maybe we can keep Earl Clark for Midlevel money.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Unless of course we lose Pau for some cap relief, and picks. I still think he can reel in a good future for the team. He's not completely done.

I don't believe Pau is completely done either. I think he's still one of the NBA's better big men. I just don't think Clark is worth 5 million per season right now. Even without Pau's contract the Lakers would be well over the cap, aren't they?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
I don't believe Pau is completely done either. I think he's still one of the NBA's better big men. I just don't think Clark is worth 5 million per season right now. Even without Pau's contract the Lakers would be well over the cap, aren't they?

Yeah but its a start I suppose. its 1.5 dollars for every dollar over the cap. So his big salary gone would somewhat create a relief. But yes, it wouldn't completely solve our financial problems.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Yeah but its a start I suppose. its 1.5 dollars for every dollar over the cap. So his big salary gone would somewhat create a relief. But yes, it wouldn't completely solve our financial problems.

I do believe they are actively shopping him. You don't pay someone 19 million to come off the bench. I just don't see what team could use him. Everybody keeps mentioning Detroit, because they see all that cap space they have. They must have never watched a game though, because they have a guy named Greg Monroe who's game is a lot like Pau's, who's on a much smaller contract, and who's still very young. They also have Drummond so I don't see how Pau fits in there.

Toronto isn't a landing spot anymore. They just took on that contract of Gay's so I don't see how they would pull off another deal.

Houston has always been in the rumors, although they don't seem interested.

So, I'm certain the Lakers would love to get some young pieces in place of him. I just don't know how it can happen anymore. David Stern really messed the Lakers up with that Chris Paul trade.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
I do believe they are actively shopping him. You don't pay someone 19 million to come off the bench. I just don't see what team could use him. Everybody keeps mentioning Detroit, because they see all that cap space they have. They must have never watched a game though, because they have a guy named Greg Monroe who's game is a lot like Pau's, who's on a much smaller contract, and who's still very young. They also have Drummond so I don't see how Pau fits in there.

Toronto isn't a landing spot anymore. They just took on that contract of Gay's so I don't see how they would pull off another deal.

Houston has always been in the rumors, although they don't seem interested.

So, I'm certain the Lakers would love to get some young pieces in place of him. I just don't know how it can happen anymore. David Stern really messed the Lakers up with that Chris Paul trade.

He sure did. I never had a complaint of him until he vetoed that trade, and as hard as you might not believe me, it has nothing to do with the fact that I am a laker fan that got upset we didn't receive CP3. It really just in fact, messed this team up. Im sure he's up there on his pedastol (dont know how to spell that) drinking champagne, and laughing with his other corporates.

Chris Paul was the best thing that would have made Mitch Kuptchak the official God GM of life, and would have redeemed Jim Buss' stint as laker CEO, but hey its all what-ifs now isnt it?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
He sure did. I never had a complaint of him until he vetoed that trade, and as hard as you might not believe me, it has nothing to do with the fact that I am a laker fan that got upset we didn't receive CP3. It really just in fact, messed this team up. Im sure he's up there on his pedastol (dont know how to spell that) drinking champagne, and laughing with his other corporates.

Chris Paul was the best thing that would have made Mitch Kuptchak the official God GM of life, and would have redeemed Jim Buss' stint as laker CEO, but hey its all what-ifs now isnt it?

I would love to agree with you guys, especially because I hate Stern......but Jimmy hired 2 really horrible coaches and I really don't think it would've worked......even with CP3.....I mean have you ever in your life seen a team this bad with this much talent? This is more talent than Phil, Sloan or Pop ever had.....and we can't even whiff .500
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I would love to agree with you guys, especially because I hate Stern......but Jimmy hired 2 really horrible coaches and I really don't think it would've worked......even with CP3.....I mean have you ever in your life seen a team this bad with this much talent? This is more talent than Phil, Sloan or Pop ever had.....and we can't even whiff .500

The coaches would've made it difficult anyway around it. I agree there. I think if the Lakers would've landed CP3, they still would've landed Howard. They would still have an improved Artest. We wouldn't be worrying about how to move Pau right now. We wouldn't need Kobe to be the playmaker. Not to mention all the people's feelings that got hurt with that trade too.... Looking back on things, that was really the beginning of the end.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:

the pau for lowry/martin/scola and 21st rounder sounds about fantasy now???

we wouldnt have had to take old deteriorating nash...and pay him 27/3yrs
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker

let the topic/thread be about anything....anything in the world ....i think it comes down to lakers hiring 2 pathetic coaches in a row...

freaking these coaches are reason for Sandy too eh?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
let the topic/thread be about anything....anything in the world ....i think it comes down to lakers hiring 2 pathetic coaches in a row...

freaking these coaches are reason for Sandy too eh?

I'd say so. Honestly, if you don't put a large blame on the coaching then there's just something wrong. It's a big reason the Knicks have been good this year....
Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #15
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Quote:
I'd say so. Honestly, if you don't put a large blame on the coaching then there's just something wrong. It's a big reason the Knicks have been good this year....

I thought the topic is about about earl clark making some money...

how the heck did it get derailed to coaches?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: