Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Cool The most underrated hip hop album of the 90s

and possibly of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52Y3k79Efs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcDaDLKQeew
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: The most underrated hip hop album of the 90s

Extremely difficult question. Honestly, I don't think I couldn't honestly give a single answer/response without running back into this thread and changing said answer/response. Few minutes later, same. Few hours later, same. Few days later, same. Few weeks later, same. Few months later, same. Few years later, same. Few decades later, same.

Rinse and repeat.

The 90's (most notably early and middle) were just too deep. I wasn't trying to to rain on this thread's parade, it's just more like when it rains it pours with this particular question simply because we're talking about a pool of possible/potential answers/responses that could just about circle the globe.

Hell, I'm not saying this is my answer, just something that popped into my head. Like I said, I'm sure I'd change this and I would but I'm not going to continiously edit or add new posts in here changing things. up. I'll just add this one album to take your bait, 'just want you to understand it's only a nibble, and an incomplete or potentially inaccurate/premature one at that.

Fat Joe's Don Cartagena
Release Date: September 1998

IMO, this is a classic rap album by any measure of standards. It's IMO Fat Joe's best album, and his best overall combination album of both a mainstream and underground vibe. and again, IMO, the outcome is a grand success. Production is among some of the best releases in '98. The guest appearances come correct. Joe spits some of his best verses of all time (even if the late great Christopher Lee Rios was his ghostwriter or not).

There's other reasons why this album instantly came to mind, 'just wanted to scratch the surface to illustrate some of the why behind the selection. When this album was originally released, it received much more negative than positive, by fans and critics alike. Years later it finally began to receive some of the credit it was certainly due, but most fans/critics still held their original assessment close to heart, and since the album is still not considered a legit classic, that's the flagship reason for me claiming it's one of the most underrated rap albums in the '90s.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923

I do agree, Prince Among Thieves is a highly underrated album when you take into considering "the masses" haven't heard it, but it's widely accepted as a classic rap album.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
I do agree, Prince Among Thieves is a highly underrated album when you take into considering "the masses" haven't heard it, but it's widely accepted as a classic rap album.

It rarely gets mentioned at all. Look at any of the top lists and it doesn't make the cut on most lists even tho chances are its better than most on those lists.

It has a great story, very entertaining, funny, engaging, sets the mark for what a hip hop concept album should be. One that hasn't been matched yet. Hip hop's equivalent to The Who's Tommy, Radiohead's OK Computer etc. Off that alone it should be hailed and always mentioned whenever rankings or lists are brought up, yet it isn't.

Every beat, every performance is great. From the background actors (voices) to the rappers, all on point.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
It rarely gets mentioned at all. Look at any of the top lists and it doesn't make the cut on most lists even tho chances are its better than most on those lists.

It has a great story, very entertaining, funny, engaging, sets the mark for what a hip hop concept album should be. One that hasn't been matched yet. Hip hop's equivalent to The Who's Tommy, Radiohead's OK Computer etc. Off that alone it should be hailed and always mentioned whenever rankings or lists are brought up, yet it isn't.

Every beat, every performance is great. From the background actors (voices) to the rappers, all on point.

I think Everlast's part/track is pretty damn dope. I'm not a big Everlast/House of Pain fan, but Everlast really comes correct on that album in his track.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #7
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

it's a concept album. no replay value
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

I am looking for some more good old school hip hop albums doesn't have to be from the 90's any more?
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
Flagrant 2
QUITE FRANKLY

Flagrant 2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFlagrant 2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Came in to post this.
Flagrant 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

here are some 90's hip hop albums that are probably more underrated or at least more slept on than what has been posted in this thread so far

Last edited by Al Thornton : 02-04-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: