Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Kombo
:)

Kombo has decent reputationKombo has decent reputation
Default Tayshaun and Daye for Calderon

Three team trade, moved Tayshaun and Daye to Memphis and Toronto traded us Calderon.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/88...oronto-raptors

Last edited by Kombo : 01-30-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Tayshaun and Daye for Calderon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombo
Three team trade, moved Tayshaun and Daye to Memphis and Toronto traded us Calderon.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/88...oronto-raptors

I was just going to post this too. I'm sad to see Tay go. It's definitely the end of an era. He did deserve to be on a winning team again. I think he'll fit in well in Memphis. I really didn't want Daye to go. The kid has too much potential still.

All this deal did was put us even farther under the cap. I can't help but wonder if Joe D is looking for another trade. Calderon doesn't make us better. With 25 million dollars who is Joe D going to get? He isn't going to land CP3 or Howard. Outside of that there won't be any FA's who can turn things around. I like Josh Smith but that's definitely not enough. Maybe if we land a top 5 pick and Smith that would be a solid team to work with, but not enough to contend. There's still too many questions left unanswered with this trade.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Doesn't it kind of feel like Detroit should've possibly pursued Gay?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Kombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Doesn't it kind of feel like Detroit should've possibly pursued Gay?

When I saw the trade, it was one of the first things I thought. The only thing is that Memphis probably really likes Davis, we don't have any quality young players we could have offered.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Kombo

I really am curious how the team sees Calderon, is he another expirer or is he our PG for the next 3 years? What does this mean for Knight? Do they want Calderon to help him along or is he going to see more and more minutes at the 2? Calderon his entire career has been sharing time at PG so I don't think he'll mind too much.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker has decent reputationAussie Dunker has decent reputation

Who are the free agents available next year?... Obviously looking for a 2 or a 3 as Knight / Monroe / Drummond are all locked in
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
I really am curious how the team sees Calderon, is he another expirer or is he our PG for the next 3 years? What does this mean for Knight? Do they want Calderon to help him along or is he going to see more and more minutes at the 2? Calderon his entire career has been sharing time at PG so I don't think he'll mind too much.

Since Calderon doesn't play any defense I'm hoping he isn't our future PG. That's just not the Detroit way. He can pass pretty good, and he can score pretty well too but without any D I just can't see him being here for the long haul (at least on the type of contract he has now). I think they view him as an expiring contract that gives them 25 million in cap space to make a big time deal with a team for a big time player. I really hope they continue to develop Knight at PG. There's no way he's a SG in the NBA (at least as a starter). The kid is only 6'3" and definitely isn't thick enough. I'm really getting sick of people trying to turn PG's into SG's. Let's hope Knight continues to get his minutes.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
Who are the free agents available next year?... Obviously looking for a 2 or a 3 as Knight / Monroe / Drummond are all locked in

The main 3 are CP3, Dwight Howard, and Josh Smith. Howard and CP3 would really be a huge longshot so I'm not even entertaining that idea. Really we don't even need Howard because our front line is set anyway. I don't see how Smith fits in Detroit unless he mainly plans on playing SF. Nonetheless, he wants a max deal...... he definitely isn't worth that. He's a very good player but he's not the guy to lead a team to a championship. I really hope we don't over pay him. Outside of that, there's some good players but nobody that is going to change the direction of the franchise. I really hope Dumars isn't planning another CV & BG type of off season like before. It does feel like he could make another trade, which is probably the best way to bring in a superstar player. We just need to see who becomes available. We should be able to cover our needs through our 1st round pick, a trade, and probably a signing this off season.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Save our money and bring in Lebron the year after? Should be an attractive team to come play on by then. Twin towers under the rim, a PG that doesn't need to have the ball in his hands and can nail treys... haha, dreaming...
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
Save our money and bring in Lebron the year after? Should be an attractive team to come play on by then. Twin towers under the rim, a PG that doesn't need to have the ball in his hands and can nail treys... haha, dreaming...

It would probably win ships. It is a heck of a dream though.... I think the Lakers would have the money for him too and if he did jump ship it would probably be for the warm weather of LA rather than the cold of Detroit. I looked at the 2014 FA's too. There's really not that much out there. I think Joe D is going to spend the money this year. Hopefully he plans it out so we can keep our young core intact too. I would hate to have to do what OKC did with Harden.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Kombo

Some guys that are good defenders available this offseason: Aminu, Jarret Jack, and Tyreke Evans. All players are flawed in their own way, just trying to think of defense first guys we could go after.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Some guys that are good defenders available this offseason: Aminu, Jarret Jack, and Tyreke Evans. All players are flawed in their own way, just trying to think of defense first guys we could go after.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like Evans will be a guy they go after. I just hope they don't offer him BG money. That could really cripple our team. Of course that all depends on where they end up in the draft and who they get too. It really looks like we'll be drafting a SF or SG this year.

I think we end up with a player who makes 10 million+ through a trade. I haven't figured out who that is yet though, lol.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

The official deal:

The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have acquired forward Rudy Gay and centre Hamed Haddadi from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for guard Jose Calderon, forward Ed Davis, a second-round draft choice in 2013 and cash considerations. The Grizzlies traded Calderon to the Detroit Pistons for forwards Austin Daye and Tayshaun Prince.
insidehoops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Would not mind Aminu at SF. Young, athletic, long...

Remember we were going to draft this guy over Monroe in 2010, but ended up getting picked right after him... I think he could be a great wing defender and a great team guy. Would pursue him hard, then look to trade for a SG with a team trying to save money, eric gordon comes to mind, but unlikely...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 PM   #15
dd24
College superstar

I like some of what Aminu has done this year. He's just not consistent yet. I'm completely against Gordon. I don't need another 6'3" Gordon.... I know this one is better, but playing small ball just won't get it done in the NBA. I like him, but not on my team. Kinda like Monta Ellis, lol. He's an amazing scorer. Too small for his spot though, and I don't want him on my team as a starting SG. I'd take J.R. Smith over both of those guys.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: