Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
hateraid
Is it in you?

Default People who annoy the %# out of you

I have this neighbor I go out of my way to avoid. Because EVERY single time I see him or walk past him he immediately jumps on me and asks, "How's your day buddy?" And exactly like that. I'll answer with a short reply, although he wants to know exactly how it went. He'll probe until he gets what he wants. And then when I think he's done he starts to talk about his day and keeps me there for another 10 minutes

I'm not the type of person to be blunt or walk away from someone in the middle of them speaking. The curse of growing up with good etiquette. I did one time invite him over for a beer. When we talked I did bring up and told him directly when I get home I'm tired. I just want to go straight inside and relax with my family. I don't feel like talking about how my day went. I asked him not to get offended that a simple greeting will suffice. If I want to talk I will knock on your door. We'll split a beer and share our day. I thought it was dealt with but the next day when I got home its "Hey buddy, how's you day?"

I guess some people will never get it.

Last edited by hateraid : 04-30-2016 at 10:43 AM.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Default Re: People who annoy the %# out of you

I get annoyed with small talk too.

Get on the elevator to go up to my office and most of the time the people on there with me keep to themselves, but every now and then someone will hop on and want to have an in depth conversation with me about the weather or about the latest news or something.

Maybe I'm just an A-Hole but in my head I'm always thinking "come on man, I'm not trying to be your buddy, let's just get to where we are going in peace"
~primetime~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
stalkerforlife
Free the banned users

I don't even look my neighbors in the eyes. I stroll past them with disgust, because I know most people are morally bankrupt leaches that want to suck you dry.
stalkerforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
I get annoyed with small talk too.

Get on the elevator to go up to my office and most of the time the people on there with me keep to themselves, but every now and then someone will hop on and want to have an in depth conversation with me about the weather or about the latest news or something.

Maybe I'm just an A-Hole but in my head I'm always thinking "come on man, I'm not trying to be your buddy, let's just get to where we are going in peace"
You're not an a-hole. You just want to maximize or make your time more efficient. Just like me. Save the chit chat for when there is nothing left to do. Like if my neighbor saw me chilling on the patio by myself having a beer I'd be glad to share my day. But when it's EVERY time I see him when I'm getting out of my car it's facking annoying as hell.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
I don't even look my neighbors in the eyes. I stroll past them with disgust, because I know most people are morally bankrupt leaches that want to suck you dry.
Lol, but if you're in the same place then they have nothing to gain.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
stalkerforlife
Free the banned users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Lol, but if you're in the same place then they have nothing to gain.

I'm not in the same place.

I don't do any type of drugs and I don't drink or smoke.

I have two kids that are my priority.

Most people are too stupid to even realize that you don't cuss in front of kids.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:

Most people are too stupid to even realize that you don't cuss in front of kids.

My apologies bro. I didn't mean to judge you in that way. I didn't mean it with any disrespect.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
stalkerforlife
Free the banned users

Quote:
My apologies bro. I didn't mean to judge you in that way. I didn't mean it with any disrespect.

I'm just saying...people are vultures.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
I have this neighbor I go out of my way to avoid. Because EVERY single time I see him or walk past him he immediately jumps on me and asks, "How's your day buddy?" And exactly like that. I'll answer with a short reply, although he wants to know exactly how it went. He'll probe until he gets what he wants. And then when I think he's done he starts to talk about his day and keeps me there for another 10 minutes

I'm not the type of person to be blunt or walk away from someone in the middle of them speaking. The curse of growing up with good etiquette. I did one time invite him over for a beer. When we talked I did bring up and told him directly when I get home I'm tired. I just want to go straight inside and relax with my family. I don't feel like talking about how my day went. I asked him not to get offended that a simple greeting will suffice. If I want to talk I will knock on your door. We'll split a beer and share our day. I thought it was dealt with but the next day when I got home its "Hey buddy, how's you day?"

I guess some people will never get it.
so a guy named "hateraid" has good etiquette? glory be!

but seriously... i share this problem and have suffered this kind of thing for years. when i moved states a few years back, it was extra annoying because people out here tend to be quite friendly on the surface. plus i was trying to fit in and get to know people around here.

anyway, the change of scene wound up helping me identify and correct the problem. i think it has a lot of overlap with the situation of 'nice guys being the real assholes.' that is, what's really at stake in these annoying encounters is loss of face, desire to please, insecurity, etc.

how i handle this now is to act a bit rushed, be polite but firm, don't stop moving my feet even as i'm talking and maybe shoot out a "sorry, i gotta run" if necessary. it saves face all around, maintains etiquette, and gets folks where zey needs to go.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #10
masonanddixon
College star

You should respond first off by saying that referring to you as 'buddy' is incredibly irritating.
masonanddixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #11
BigNBAfan
National High School Star

Quote:

Yet you're in the same place in life, what does that say about you
BigNBAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #12
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Damn hateraid, I can't even greet you anymore?
You must hate going into Wal-Mart.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy

I had a crazy neighbor. A teacher who's a single mom.. divorced teachers always seem to be psycho.

She was also on disability leave. Probably had some kind of mental break down. She calls the cops on kids who play basketball on the streets at 3:00pm because the noise from the bouncing of the ball gives her headaches.

She also complains that neighbors leave their green boxes outside the house. Bitch where do you expect people to store their organic trash? Inside so that the house can smell like a compost?

Also calls the city on people that paved their driveways to fit an extra car. She called the city on us once, and the guy told me the exact time & date that he'd be at my house to take a picture of my driveway. As long as my car wasn't there on that exact time, he'd close my file.

She also put up this massive "no trespassing" sign on her front door.. and I ALWAYS see her staring at the kids on the street playing basketball. She peeks through her blinds & just stares. It's creepy as fk.
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
Done_And_Done
Induuubitably

How's your day buddy?

i'll wait right here for your long winded response....
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #15
Done_And_Done
Induuubitably

People who bicker and complain about children playing sports or just playing in general outside - annoy the shit out of me.
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: