Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
longhornfan1234
National High School Star

Default Sopranos question. **** spoiler alert****

Do you think Tony should have killed Christopher? I thought it was totally unnecessary. Yes, Christopher was a loose cannon, but he was more loyal than the other fakes in his crew.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

Default Re: Sopranos question. **** spoiler alert****

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
Do you think Tony should have killed Christopher? I thought it was totally unnecessary. Yes, Christopher was a loose cannon, but he was more loyal than the other fakes in his crew.

I liked Christopher, but I really think it had to be done. Tony saw down the road that he was always going to be a problem.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:

He did it because Christopher was going to go to jail for violating parole because he was on drugs, and which point they were going to sell him a deal to give up Tony. And Chris was such a loose cannon all the time you'd think he'd give Tony up. Did anything about Chris the drug addict at that point make you think he wouldn't flip?

It was very cold but there wasn't really good options there.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
longhornfan1234
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
He did it because Christopher was going to go to jail for violating parole because he was on drugs, and which point they were going to sell him a deal to give up Tony. And Chris was such a loose cannon all the time you'd think he'd give Tony up. Did anything about Chris the drug addict at that point make you think he wouldn't flip?

It was very cold but there wasn't really good options there.

Christopher is the most loyal guy on the show. He loves Tony, I don't think he would have betrayed him. He gave up his own WIFE for Tony.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Wow, I was just thinking this morning about the whole Christopher death scene!
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:

Christopher is the most loyal guy on the show. He loves Tony, I don't think he would have betrayed him. He gave up his own WIFE for Tony.

Quite a few things he did showed he might turn on Tony. He had a freaking movie that Tony was the bad guy. He once came in to shoot Tony. Tony wanted to turn the business over to him at one point and Christoper wound up going into drugs. He also behind Tony's back was sleeping with the girl Tony was after. He didn't act like a guy you could trust not to turn.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Niko's right.

The point was that the entire crew was falling apart. Christopher's relapse was a sign of things never really changing. The feds were closing in, and the crew was never getting out, not necessarily because Christopher was going to flip (although that's the literal narrative), but because these guys were always gonna slip back into old habits.

And if I recall correctly, Tony discovered Christopher's relationship with the Juliana Margolis character prior to killing him. And his doing it personally was an example of his temper and flash rage decision making always going to be an issue.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
CP3MVP
soon

It was a long time coming with Christopher. I think it would have been crazier if Tony had killed Paulie on that boat.
CP3MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Tony was going to call the paramedics until he looked in the backseat and saw that the tree had destroyed the babyseat. When he thought about the fact that if Chris' daughter had been in the seat she would've been crushed to death, he decided to finally put Chris out of his misery. Babies and animals, a sociopath's only weaknesses...
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

tony had to fix his biggest mistake
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

And it was nicely dramatic
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

Quote:

The guy is still a dumbass, a jerkass and a drug addict all in one. He also almost killed Tony "unintentionally" off the accident.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

This dude does a great Tony and Christopher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42axi...e_gdata_player
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #14
BRabbiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
This dude does a great Tony and Christopher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42axi...e_gdata_player

nice.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

It's a complicated issue. On one hand, Christopher was leading a very self-destructive lifestyle and would snap sooner or later. He already threatened to kill Tony once before and in the episode before his death, had recently spilled his guts out to his writing partner before murdering him. It didn't bode well for him at that point. He was digging himself in deep.

On the other hand, Tony didn't exactly foster a positive environment for Chris neither. He wanted Chris to run the family but ended up using Chris more for short term gains than prepping him for the big job. Beating Chris up, yelling at him, and not trying to understand or counsel his would-be successor showed how poor Tony was as a leader.

So, I mean, there's a good reason this show is regarded as a tragedy. The only leader who could hold the DiMeo Family together, Jackie Aprille Sr., died in Season 1. Everyone else was too focused on material gains or name-sake to pay attention to their own tragic flaws.

It's like Sun-Tuh Zu said: a good leader is benevolent and unconcerned with fame.

In their attempts to control and dominate, just about everyone in the DiMeo Crime Family was too focused on themselves to see the bigger picture. I mean, to answer your question, OP, it didn't matter what Tony did at that point.

Last edited by Joshumitsu : 02-08-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: