Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Dbrog
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,015
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?



Dbrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
SCdac
Very good NBA starter
 
SCdac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,318
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Not a big fan of this rumored trade, especially the thought of having to re-sign a 28/29 year old Jefferson at the end of the season.

I like him, and he gives us a better run at a championship (how much is debatable), but it's a big risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker
Spurs should go after Greg Monroe IMO.

been saying this for about a year now, and I really hope he is on the Spurs' radar.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Fudge
Banned
 
Fudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,991
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker
Spurs should go after Greg Monroe IMO.
What exactly would Detroit want from SA? Theyre in rebuilding mode and Monroe is one of their cornerstones. You'd probably have to give up 1 of either Kawhi Leonard or Ginobili to get him.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
SCdac
Very good NBA starter
 
SCdac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,318
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
What exactly would Detroit want from SA? Theyre in rebuilding mode and Monroe is one of their cornerstones. You'd probably have to give up 1 of either Kawhi Leonard or Ginobili to get him.

Realistically, Spurs can't get Monroe any time soon. However, I'd love to see them put a bid in for him come 2015/2016. By that time Duncan will be retired, perhaps Ginobili too, and SA will probably have cap space.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #20
Artillery
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,629
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
if this trade does go through, id bet the jazz buyout jackson immediately, and he re-signs with san antonio, like when the cavs traded away ilgauskas to the wizards in the jamison tradr, washington bought him out, and big z was back playing for cleveland within a couple weeks.

IIRC, there are now rules in place to prevent this. I think a player has to wait a year until resigning with the same team.
Artillery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,967
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Al Jefferson is perfect for the Spurs. I love him, but he's as simple as his stats. He gives you what his numbers say, for the most part. The Spurs could actually use what he brings tho. He'd be a great POWER FORWARD to play next to the CENTER, Tim Duncan.


Jefferson is a PF, period. That's where he's best. Tim Duncan is -at least now- a center, period. Make Al your defensive guy in the paint and see how it works for you.



And it's great because Jefferson will play PF and Duncan will continue to pay C and people can pretend it's the other way around, for whatever reason.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan
 
andremiller07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,198
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

I don't say why the Jazz would want Splitter/Mills when they got players such as Kantar/Favours there as well as Watson who's as good as Mills.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #23
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,967
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
I don't say why the Jazz would want Splitter/Mills when they got players such as Kantar/Favours there as well as Watson who's as good as Mills.



Splitter would be fighting with Kanter for a starting spot. So it's a question of whether or not the Jazz think it's worth it and if Splitter (especially) is interested in staying. Otherwise, get a third team involved. Jackson would be bought out and it'd be great for San Antonio.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #24
Nero Tulip
Local High School Star
 
Nero Tulip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,286
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

They shouldn't do it. They have to be ambitious this year, not build for the future. And they're better off with Splitter, who's playing well and familiar with the system, than Jefferson. Losing Jackson means losing one of the toughest Spurs players, he's one of the guys who performs a lot better in the playoffs.

I'll take Jefferson for Neal + Blair + Bonner though
Nero Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #25
Artillery
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,629
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Al Jefferson is perfect for the Spurs. I love him, but he's as simple as his stats. He gives you what his numbers say, for the most part. The Spurs could actually use what he brings tho. He'd be a great POWER FORWARD to play next to the CENTER, Tim Duncan.


Jefferson is a PF, period. That's where he's best. Tim Duncan is -at least now- a center, period. Make Al your defensive guy in the paint and see how it works for you.



And it's great because Jefferson will play PF and Duncan will continue to pay C and people can pretend it's the other way around, for whatever reason.

So who's going to defend the pick 'n roll? Duncan? Not at his age. Jefferson's too slow to for that as well. Splitter's one of best bigs in the league at the defending pnr while Duncan's been defending the basket. Advanced stats say that combo has been crazy effective so far. If Duncan's injury was serious, this would have been an acceptable trade but, as is, Jefferson and Duncan would be a bad fit defensively. I do like that tandem from an offensive standpoint though.
Artillery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #26
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,967
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artillery
So who's going to defend the pick 'n roll? Duncan? Not at his age. Jefferson's too slow to for that as well. Splitter's one of best bigs in the league at the defending pnr while Duncan's been defending the basket. Advanced stats say that combo has been crazy effective so far. If Duncan's injury was serious, this would have been an acceptable trade but, as is, Jefferson and Duncan would be a bad fit defensively. I do like that tandem from an offensive standpoint though.



You know what, you make a great point. Duncan was never a guy to come out on the pick n' roll tho. Even when he was younger and at PF, he stayed closer to the basket. Even Robinson, playing as the center, would come out farther than Duncan. Now, older and completely playing center, he won't come out. And I guess that could be a problem. It depends on how Leonard defends close to the basket.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #27
ralph_i_el
The Wizard
 
ralph_i_el's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: >implying
Posts: 4,531
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
Something else would have to go down to make this work, as I'm pretty sure the Jazz are carrying a full 15-man roster, so we couldn't take back 3 players for Big Al. I guess we could just buy out Jackson and Splitter, if the centerpiece of the trade for the Jazz truly is Mills and/or the Jazz are worried that both Jackson and Splitter would walk at season's end anyway, but it seems like the Jazz could/should get more for Jefferson than just Mills.

you don't want to do that. He's good
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #28
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan
 
TMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,410
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

What people don't realize is the San Antonio offense would need to be altered quite a bit to implement Al Jeff who is a back to the basket, take up most the shot clock and work for his shot type of guy. Our running offense will have to halt, which is going to mean less offensive possessions and a slower paced game. Splitter is predominantly a pick and roll big which is a perfect fit for our current offensive scheme, plus he's already publicly stated he wants to re-sign. If I want any big from Utah, it's Favors.

Spurs are tied for first in the league in PPG, plus have the highest offensive efficiency rating. Why fix something that isn't broken?
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #29
selrahc
Banned
 
selrahc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,541
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Spurs should trade for Dwight. Duncan is old now and can't do shit. Dwight can be your new Duncan. Just trade the two for each other straight up or with whatever scrubs to make salaries match.
selrahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #30
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan
 
TMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,410
Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc
Spurs should trade for Dwight. Duncan is old now and can't do shit. Dwight can be your new Duncan. Just trade the two for each other straight up or with whatever scrubs to make salaries match.

Do you even watch basketball?
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy