Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Grizzlies Falling Apart After the Trades

Just like I said. These trades only made them a lot worse. They lost their bench and their biggest and only perimeter threat. They deserve absolutely every loss thats about to head their way. I hope for Randolph's sake they trade him to a team that actually wants to win basketball games.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
mattvNJ
Local High School Star

mattvNJ is considered somewhat coolmattvNJ is considered somewhat coolmattvNJ is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Grizzlies Falling Apart After the Trades

in an ideal world i wish they kept ellington for some more bench support, Bayless has been killing it. and also i wish they got pierce instead of prince and davis. Although davis is gonna blossom into a nice player, Zbo is getting older and still producing but we cant be rebuilding or doing trades like this when they were a move or two away from being a LEGIT contender. Its dissapointing but hey its the life of a smaller market.
mattvNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
fpliii
LA Lakers Est. 1960

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Just like I said. These trades only made them a lot worse. They lost their bench and their biggest and only perimeter threat. They deserve absolutely every loss thats about to head their way. I hope for Randolph's sake they trade him to a team that actually wants to win basketball games.

fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvNJ
in an ideal world i wish they kept ellington for some more bench support, Bayless has been killing it. and also i wish they got pierce instead of prince and davis. Although davis is gonna blossom into a nice player, Zbo is getting older and still producing but we cant be rebuilding or doing trades like this when they were a move or two away from being a LEGIT contender. Its dissapointing but hey its the life of a smaller market.
No it's not. The spurs would not do this. It's the life of a small market team who values additional profit over wins. If they made 1 move I get crying poverty. But not all of these moves.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
AussieG
High School Starter

AussieG has an OK reputation so far

I don't know if they are actually that worse on paper.. but the chemistry within the team and the coach is absolutely shot.

They are so boring to watch right now. I don't care if they win or lose, it's just no fun watching them play.
AussieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Haymaker
College star

Haymaker has decent reputationHaymaker has decent reputation

I don't understand. They were having arguably their best season yet. Dominating top teams. They hire Hollinger and all goes down the shitter. I'm pissed, and I'm not a Grizzlies fan, but I enjoyed their games.
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
rmt
National High School Star

rmt is considered somewhat coolrmt is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
No it's not. The spurs would not do this. It's the life of a small market team who values additional profit over wins. If they made 1 move I get crying poverty. But not all of these moves.

So how do you explain the Spurs trading away Scola. It was to get rid of Jackie Butler's contract - ironically it was on the advice of Hollinger that they signed Butler to his contract. Being in a small market and having to worry about money is a REALITY. Grizzlies were that close to being a legit contender and now they are sinking. We'll see if OKC trading away Harden for money reasons results in another trip to the Finals.
rmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

andremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmt
So how do you explain the Spurs trading away Scola.

They got rid of Scola because he didn't want to play 2nd fiddle to Duncan and get limited mins thats why he never came earlier to the NBA.
andremiller07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
SCdac
NBA sixth man of the year

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

the difference between the Grizzlies and the Spurs/Thunder is the latter had Tim Duncan and Kevin Durant. Memphis had an 8th pick in Rudy Gay and he's not a world-beater. The Spurs for almost a decade didn't cross the luxury tax - until they made a move for Richard Jefferson which at the time was lauded by fans and GM's alike. They only made that move once Duncan started getting older and Bowen was on his last legs.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
ncrizzle
GritNgrind ur mind

ncrizzle is considered somewhat coolncrizzle is considered somewhat cool

We really need to see this play out a few more games before we start talking all of this BS. Rudy was going to be traded at the end of the year no matter what. The Grizzlies bench has not gotten worse. Yes Rudy was an athletic dynamic player who could get his own shot off, but the shot he could create hardly ever went in. the guy always takes bad shots and is inefficient. He did not make any of his teammates better and only cares about himself. He was traded at the time when his value was the highest. Yes the Grizzlies were contenders, and they possibly still could be. But this team is much better suited for the future. now that the 37,000,000 dollars is cleared off the books for 2 years the team can put the pieces together so that they can contend for years to come. They were not going to win it this year with or without Rudy. Now we have 8,000,000 dollars to spend along with some trade exceptions. We will now be able to resign TA in the offseason as well as other players. All we really need is a dead eye shooter or two. If you actually paid attention to what was going on behind the scenes you'll understand the reasoning for this trade. Now of course there is frustration on Mon the team right now because they are losing. But that is just because chemistry has not evolved yet. Give it time to work.. These trades had the future in mind, in the Grizzlies will remain in the top 5 seeds of the West or better 4 years to come now instead of trying to go for it all this season and then suffering the penalties of the luxury tax and just being financially involved in few players not being able to put together a bench. Many other teams are going to be making trades like this to get under the tax. It is going to completely change the game. The Grizzlies just like the Thunder we're faced with this situation sooner than other teams
ncrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat cool

marc gasol of all ppl has played horrible. are the gasols exposed?
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker
I don't understand. They were having arguably their best season yet. Dominating top teams. They hire Hollinger and all goes down the shitter. I'm pissed, and I'm not a Grizzlies fan, but I enjoyed their games.

Are you even surprised? Just more proof that his PER formula is absolute bullshit and that you still need basketball minds in an organization along with the egg heads
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
ncrizzle
GritNgrind ur mind

ncrizzle is considered somewhat coolncrizzle is considered somewhat cool

Hollinger is not the problem people. Its Jason Levien. Marc has been playing bad these past few games, but he will and must snap out of it. Marc needs to be averaging at least 17ppg . He has to be more aggressive. The guy is dangerous everywhere on the court. What we need is some shooters to stretch the floor. I want Jarred Bayless to start in front of Tony Allen. TA brings so much energy and intensity with his defense. It is infectious. But he is a liability on offense which makes it basically a 4 on 5 game. He can have the same impact off the bench shutting down and stripping other teams benches, making it easier for him to score on fastbreaks and going to the rim. Bayless has been back up PG the whole season and he is a fvcking sg. He works much better off the ball being the scorer he is. He can create his own shot and his jumper is wet right now.

But then again tony wroten would be the back up pg and he cant shoot well yet. TA cant shoot well. So the backcourt would not be a very big offensive threat. Hmmmmm.

Conclusion. Start TA, but only play him 20-25mpg tops. Have bayless come in with 5 or 6 minutes left in the first quarter and come back to the bench halfway through the 2nd. Repeat in 2nd half with variables deciding who closes the game out
ncrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
AussieG
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
marc gasol of all ppl has played horrible. are the gasols exposed?

That's the point. Even if Rudy Gay were in the team and playing well.. people like Marc Gasol.. Conley.. the core of the team.. just seem so flat and uninspired. Z-Bo has been inconsistant as well. Earlier in the season these same players were lighting it up. They were fun to watch.. win or lose. I've always enjoyed watching this current team play. For years.. and now it seems like they are dull and boring.. and I find myself wanting to watch other games instead.. and even after 2 or 3 mins.. I remember that basketball is actually a fun game to watch. I'm not sick of basketball, I'm just sick of the Grizz right now.

They should make the playoffs either way.. I just want them to get some life and energy from somewhere.. and play like they enjoy the damn game.

There was sort of a spark after the first trade. And guys like Wroten and Bayliss and Arthur stepped up. Since the Rudy Gay trade though, it's been horrible. And I'm bored 8 mins into the first quarter.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
AussieG
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrizzle
Hollinger is not the problem people. Its Jason Levien. Marc has been playing bad these past few games, but he will and must snap out of it. Marc needs to be averaging at least 17ppg . He has to be more aggressive. The guy is dangerous everywhere on the court. What we need is some shooters to stretch the floor. I want Jarred Bayless to start in front of Tony Allen. TA brings so much energy and intensity with his defense. It is infectious. But he is a liability on offense which makes it basically a 4 on 5 game. He can have the same impact off the bench shutting down and stripping other teams benches, making it easier for him to score on fastbreaks and going to the rim. Bayless has been back up PG the whole season and he is a fvcking sg. He works much better off the ball being the scorer he is. He can create his own shot and his jumper is wet right now.

But then again tony wroten would be the back up pg and he cant shoot well yet. TA cant shoot well. So the backcourt would not be a very big offensive threat. Hmmmmm.

Conclusion. Start TA, but only play him 20-25mpg tops. Have bayless come in with 5 or 6 minutes left in the first quarter and come back to the bench halfway through the 2nd. Repeat in 2nd half with variables deciding who closes the game out

I've thought about this as well. I think benching TA could be good.. especially on the nights where there isn't a Kobe or other superstar SG to guard. But he and Z-Bo are said to be the core of the team.. in terms of leadership in the locker room.. so it's hard to know if that's possible without creating even more problems.

Hollins needs to get his head out of his butt and be a bit more flexible too. This team isn't new anymore.. they aren't a surprise to anyone.. and most teams have now caught on, as to how the defenses like to guard them. Now isn't the time for stubornness or sending messages to the front office, that you aren't happy with trades.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: