Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Grizzlies Falling Apart After the Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrizzle
Hollinger is not the problem people. Its Jason Levien. Marc has been playing bad these past few games, but he will and must snap out of it. Marc needs to be averaging at least 17ppg . He has to be more aggressive. The guy is dangerous everywhere on the court. What we need is some shooters to stretch the floor. I want Jarred Bayless to start in front of Tony Allen. TA brings so much energy and intensity with his defense. It is infectious. But he is a liability on offense which makes it basically a 4 on 5 game. He can have the same impact off the bench shutting down and stripping other teams benches, making it easier for him to score on fastbreaks and going to the rim. Bayless has been back up PG the whole season and he is a fvcking sg. He works much better off the ball being the scorer he is. He can create his own shot and his jumper is wet right now.

But then again tony wroten would be the back up pg and he cant shoot well yet. TA cant shoot well. So the backcourt would not be a very big offensive threat. Hmmmmm.

Conclusion. Start TA, but only play him 20-25mpg tops. Have bayless come in with 5 or 6 minutes left in the first quarter and come back to the bench halfway through the 2nd. Repeat in 2nd half with variables deciding who closes the game out

Hollinger is the problem. Remember as soon as he was hired everyone knew Rudy Gay was a goner thanks to Hollinger's precious PER formula. Remember the Grizzlies already traded away their bench(dumb move) to get under the luxury tax. For the most part most teams would be done trading, but they seemed hell bent on getting rid of Gay with no regard of team chemistry or getting back pieces that fit. I think if Hollinger wasn't there another exec would have either held off due to team chemistry or gotten a better fit.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Wonder Bread Kid
My Pimp Hand Is Lethal

Wonder Bread Kid has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmt
So how do you explain the Spurs trading away Scola. It was to get rid of Jackie Butler's contract - ironically it was on the advice of Hollinger that they signed Butler to his contract. Being in a small market and having to worry about money is a REALITY. Grizzlies were that close to being a legit contender and now they are sinking. We'll see if OKC trading away Harden for money reasons results in another trip to the Finals.

Trading Scola wasn't just about moving Butler. It's entirely too simplistic and just incorrect to state that.

There were a lot of factors at play not just Butler

Spurs weren't sure if he'd ever come over.

Spurs had signed Oberto and resigned Bonner.
Wonder Bread Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

I can understand the team feeling in the dumps. We traded away our longest tenured player and supposed to be player that brings us over the top. Give it time.

When is Pondexter due back? We need his shooting badly.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
zac
Local High School Star

zac is considered somewhat coolzac is considered somewhat coolzac is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
I can understand the team feeling in the dumps. We traded away our longest tenured player and supposed to be player that brings us over the top. Give it time.

When is Pondexter due back? We need his shooting badly.
He's been cleared to non contact practice but he's been running the floor and dunking and all that. I'm guessing pretty soon after All Star Break.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
L8kersfan222
Rip Samurai Swoosh

L8kersfan222 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryL8kersfan222 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryL8kersfan222 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Lebron stans defending hollinger.
L8kersfan222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

The reason the Grizzlies are playing poorly, IMO, is because of how keenly aware they are of participating in a business venture, rather than being athletes. All that anyone talks about with regard to them is money, money, money. How is it possible to have any team morale with that always weighing you down?

It is terrible management to let the business aspect of the game affect your players so much. But when it's clear your management doesn't care if you win or not, and you're just collecting a check and so are they, how can you expect inspired play?

It's disgraceful. It's okay to be like that if you suck, the Clippers used to do this all the time. But now when you have a legitimate chance to win a title, which the Grizzlies, with a full roster and playing at full capacity and with passion, did have.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
ncrizzle
GritNgrind ur mind

ncrizzle is considered somewhat coolncrizzle is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Hollinger is the problem. Remember as soon as he was hired everyone knew Rudy Gay was a goner thanks to Hollinger's precious PER formula. Remember the Grizzlies already traded away their bench(dumb move) to get under the luxury tax. For the most part most teams would be done trading, but they seemed hell bent on getting rid of Gay with no regard of team chemistry or getting back pieces that fit. I think if Hollinger wasn't there another exec would have either held off due to team chemistry or gotten a better fit.
Phil Jackson could have been hired and Rudy would still be gone. Speights and Ellington were both hugely inconsistent and bad defenders. Haddadi rotted. Davis is better than Speights and Chris Johnson, the d league player looks better than Ellington. QP will be back in the rotation soon. He was our best 3. shooter and a great defender. All around team player. Now that Rudy and his huge salary are gone we can actually build and add new pieces. Rudy is a 10mill a year player, 12 at the most. He was dynamic athletic and could create his own shot because of size advantage. But he was a ball stopper, shot chucking black hole who stares down at the ground while the other team scores on a fast break. He shows up on ESPN for his dunks
ncrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #23
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

letshaveacorona has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrizzle
We really need to see this play out a few more games before we start talking all of this BS. Rudy was going to be traded at the end of the year no matter what. The Grizzlies bench has not gotten worse. Yes Rudy was an athletic dynamic player who could get his own shot off, but the shot he could create hardly ever went in. the guy always takes bad shots and is inefficient. He did not make any of his teammates better and only cares about himself. He was traded at the time when his value was the highest. Yes the Grizzlies were contenders, and they possibly still could be. But this team is much better suited for the future. now that the 37,000,000 dollars is cleared off the books for 2 years the team can put the pieces together so that they can contend for years to come. They were not going to win it this year with or without Rudy. Now we have 8,000,000 dollars to spend along with some trade exceptions. We will now be able to resign TA in the offseason as well as other players. All we really need is a dead eye shooter or two. If you actually paid attention to what was going on behind the scenes you'll understand the reasoning for this trade. Now of course there is frustration on Mon the team right now because they are losing. But that is just because chemistry has not evolved yet. Give it time to work.. These trades had the future in mind, in the Grizzlies will remain in the top 5 seeds of the West or better 4 years to come now instead of trying to go for it all this season and then suffering the penalties of the luxury tax and just being financially involved in few players not being able to put together a bench. Many other teams are going to be making trades like this to get under the tax. It is going to completely change the game. The Grizzlies just like the Thunder we're faced with this situation sooner than other teams

i appreciate the the thought behind your post but you pretty much lost me when you claim Rudy Gay was traded while his value was the highest. you are aware that he was traded for an aging prince and a a god young backup pf in davis. no draft picks. nada. he was given away because the owner is cheap thats the bottom line. this was not a basketball trade. and gay is as clutch they come. he hits them when it matters.
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
Derka
Go C's!

Derka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation here

Via Ric Bucher (lol): Grizzlies are reportedly showing interest in Courtney Lee.

http://celticshub.com/2013/02/08/buc...-courtney-lee/
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
Rubio2Gasol
College star

Rubio2Gasol has decent reputation

Hollinger Generation : Dream is Collapsing.

Lionel Hollins : ‘When you have champagne taste, you can’t be on a beer budget’
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

andremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation here

The should try move Ed Davis for a good scoring SG/SF imo, they don't need Ed Davis there unless they plan on letting Arthur or Z-Bo go.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #27
B4llin
High school junior varsity star

B4llin has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
No it's not. The spurs would not do this. It's the life of a small market team who values additional profit over wins. If they made 1 move I get crying poverty. But not all of these moves.

The myth that the spurs are a smaller market team is bullshit. San antonio is huge. They would not have won 4 championships if they were a small market. stern would not allow this.
B4llin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #28
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak is considered somewhat coolILLsmak is considered somewhat coolILLsmak is considered somewhat cool

Yeah Rudy proves so-called efficiency, at least in terms of looking at stats... is not the best way to judge a player. You gotta look at a player and how the react in each situation and see if they get a better or worse result than you expected. That's efficiency, to me.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #29
I<3NBA
College superstar

I<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryI<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

team morale is down, what do you expect? management tearing apart that roster while the Grizzlies were obviously favorites to contend affected the players so much they now play without passion.

i mean, who would be happy about that? the trade wasn't done to improve the team. it was just done to cut expenses.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #30
ncrizzle
GritNgrind ur mind

ncrizzle is considered somewhat coolncrizzle is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3NBA
team morale is down, what do you expect? management tearing apart that roster while the Grizzlies were obviously favorites to contend affected the players so much they now play without passion.

i mean, who would be happy about that? the trade wasn't done to improve the team. it was just done to cut expenses.

Give the team a little time to gel before for you make assumptions. The team look great against the Warriors the other night. We also have money and trade exceptions of almost 8 million dollars so don't be surprised if they add another quality player by the deadline. Yes it was done to get cut some money but come on Rudy was not worth 19mill a year. Ed Davis, prince, and Daye are much more valuable than Rudy and also cost 8 Mill less. This team runs much better through marc and zbo.
ncrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: