Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #16
Nero Tulip
Local High School Star

Default Re: Rubio being selected for Rising Star draft shows how much of a joke it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabepizza
Now I finally see why so many fans of European basketball hate Rubio. He is a corporate entity who is forced down our throats over many more deserving and talented basketball players.

Euroleague (the poster) = American redneck. Not a European. And even if he was European he's just one (very stupid) guy. Most people in Europe actually love Rubio.
Nero Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #17
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Default Re: Rubio being selected for Rising Star draft shows how much of a joke it is

Quote:
It's just unfair to players like Jimmy Butler And Jonas Valanciunas. If they don't select players on how they are playing what do they use to select? How many commercials are player has?
Butler? Maybe.

Jonas? Dude has played in 31 games and has something like 7ppg and 5 rpg over them. Not exactly a big snub. besides, they selected him for his fancy passing not his performance to date. Someone like butler looks like a scrub in these games, with no D etc. even if he is the better player.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #18
roffie
Local High School Star

nba is about making money mate
roffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #19
sick_brah07
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic_Pride
Rubio is made for these games..

this

have you seen the guy play he is a highlight waiting to happen every single play
sick_brah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:04 AM   #20
Switell
Can barely lace up my sneakers

who cares all star weekend is a joke, like iv read before it is used to keep casual nba fans interested people who follow nba full on dont care...
Switell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
Euroleague (the poster) = American redneck. Not a European. And even if he was European he's just one (very stupid) guy. Most people in Europe actually love Rubio.

I am European (Spanish) and euro-fans does not hate rubio. But we can see how he plays, and we really hopes for Calderon's health until we found a better replacement for Spanish National Team.

We watched him play since he was 15, ahd the fact is the kid was incredibly promising (at the age of 16). His game did not improve at all, pretty much the same level, which was pretty impressive when he was a child, but not now.

I prefer Calderon over him, even Victor Sada (much less talented, but stronger and very smart, he would do well in NBA). Maybe with an specific trainer he could improve, Calderon was a terrible shooter when he came to NBA, but I don't have much hope on that.

Last edited by GoldMedallist : 02-08-2013 at 09:31 AM.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
Most people in Europe actually love Rubio.

Rubio is widely considered to be the most overrated basketball player of all time by Europeans.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #23
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

You really think 20 years from now, when we're all talking about who's the better player we're going to say..."Well Ricky Rubio was in the Rising Stars game in 2013 so... Rubio >>>" ?
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #24
gabepizza
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMedallist
I am European (Spanish) and euro-fans does not hate rubio. But we can see how he plays, and we really hopes for Calderon's health until we found a better replacement for Spanish National Team.

We watched him play since he was 15, ahd the fact is the kid was incredibly promising (at the age of 16). His game did not improve at all, pretty much the same level, which was pretty impressive when he was a child, but not now.

I prefer Calderon over him, even Victor Sada (much less talented, but stronger and very smart, he would do well in NBA). Maybe with an specific trainer he could improve, Calderon was a terrible shooter when he came to NBA, but I don't have much hope on that.

Yes. I'm exaggerated when I said people in Europe hate Rubio. It's just that they know he is over rated. He was shown signs of promise like in 2010 and last year but then he digresses.

I think players should be picked on their merits not on how many commercials they have. I feel the same about Irving. I don't feel like a player on the 4th worse team on the league should be an all-star.
gabepizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #25
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvr54
Why is Ivan Johnson so ignored?

Because he plays for the Hawks
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #26
BuffaloBill
Turtle Power

Rubio is perfect for these types of games. He proved it last year in the Rising stars game. He was easily one of the most entertaining guys out there. All star weekend is about having fun and entertaining the fans, it's not the playoffs. I don't see the problem.
BuffaloBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #27
wally_world
M0derator

I'd rather watch Rubio than any of those guys, so no, its not a joke
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
gabepizza
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
Rubio is perfect for these types of games. He proved it last year in the Rising stars game. He was easily one of the most entertaining guys out there. All star weekend is about having fun and entertaining the fans, it's not the playoffs. I don't see the problem.

I think it speaks to a bigger problem of the league itself. I understand the NBA is a star driven league and I have no problem with that. Although I would prefer more team ball I understand that stars sell more tickets and jerseys. What I do have a problem with is the NBA creating "stars" before they are actually stars. It's not just the rising star game or the all-star game. The worst point is once these "stars" are acknowledged they get better calls and treatment from the refs/more playing time from coaches. I think it is unfair for Rubio to get this treatment over say Valanciunas or Butler.

It just so happens that the two most undeserving players in the rising star/all-star game, Rubio and Irving, just so happen to have mega sponsorships and national commercials from giant corporations. Coincidence?

I want stars to be creating by their own play and merits, not souless greedy, corporations who want to sell sneakers and jerseys.

This is basketball not American Idol.
gabepizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #29
Fiba basketball
I feel devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroleague
Rubio is widely considered to be the most overrated basketball player of all time by Europeans.

It's one thing to hate the hype around the player and another to hate a player especialy when Rubio looks like a good guy so there isn't any reason to hate him .
Fiba basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
BuffaloBill
Turtle Power

Quote:
I think it speaks to a bigger problem of the league itself. I understand the NBA is a star driven league and I have no problem with that. Although I would prefer more team ball I understand that stars sell more tickets and jerseys. What I do have a problem with is the NBA creating "stars" before they are actually stars. It's not just the rising star game or the all-star game. The worst point is once these "stars" are acknowledged they get better calls and treatment from the refs/more playing time from coaches. I think it is unfair for Rubio to get this treatment over say Valanciunas or Butler.

It just so happens that the two most undeserving players in the rising star/all-star game, Rubio and Irving, just so happen to have mega sponsorships and national commercials from giant corporations. Coincidence?

I want stars to be creating by their own play and merits, not souless greedy, corporations who want to sell sneakers and jerseys.

This is basketball not American Idol.

Those same two players also happened to play better than any player in last years rising stars game. Coincidence?

No.
BuffaloBill is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: