Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #46
LikeABosh
Banned
 
LikeABosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,564
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Hey man, did you know that basketball is a 5 on 5 game?
LikeABosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #47
Calabis
Good college starter
 
Calabis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,262
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Nice Try

Barkley Never Said What You Say About Pippen. Bull. He Actually Said Jordan Was Lucky to Play With Pippen in His Prime, as Well as Grant and Rodman!. Jordan had 2 All Stars Back Him Up In Their Primes and His Prime His Whole Career.

Pippen Became an All Star in 1990 In Case You Forgot and He Helped Jordan Win a Ring by Guarding Drexler and Magic the Best. out of those 1st Two Rings.

He Was the Best Defender in the Bulls by Far and The Best Perimeter Defender in the League.

He Had More Responsabilities than Jordan because He Was the Point-Forward Under a Trinagle that Diminished His Stats. He Had To Do More Stuff than Just Score. Create and Be the Best Defender in the Team is Something That Usually is Given to 2 Different Players, Yet Pippen Had No Problem With That and Did Both Jobs at a Great Level ( Not to Mention, Rebound, Score, Team Defend etc)

He Had To Create (Something Jordan finally Accepted since Phil Was Trying to Make Jordan Understand This and Finally It Happened), Be the 2nd Lead Scorer, Be The 2nd Lead Rebounder, Be The Best Defender, Be The Best Team Defender and Play as a Teamate More than a Star.

Pippen`s 1991 Stats while Being the Best Individual Defender For Those Play-Offs and Finals (Defensive Rating Agrees): 20.8 PPG (45.3% FG), 9.4 RPG, 6.6 APG, 2.4 SPG and 1.0 BPG.

If Those are Not All Star Level Stats Then What Are?

First he guarded Magic less than Jordan and the switch was made because 2 early fouls on MJ in game 2...Pippen hardly stopped Magic, watch the game, Magic penetrated any time he wanted too, so much so, Jordan almost picked up his third foul when taking a charge after Pippen was blown by.

Drexler, lmao the only time he guarded Drexler was when Jordan was out of the game, his main defensive assignment was Kersey/Robinson

The one in red I do agree with, not because he was a better man defender than Jordan, just due to his size giving him the ability to guard multiple positions...but I guess the same can be said about Jordan who guarded Divac at times in the 91 Finals
Calabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #48
guy
NBA All-star
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,368
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

He obviously had help. But his help and how supposedly fortunate he was is greatly overstated, which is the case with a lot of the all time greats that have won multiple titles.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #49
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick
 
Blue&Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,926
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Who believes Pippen would have become the player that he was if he played an practiced alongside Kobe or Lebron?
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #50
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,941
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabis
First he guarded Magic less than Jordan and the switch was made because 2 early fouls on MJ in game 2...Pippen hardly stopped Magic, watch the game, Magic penetrated any time he wanted too, so much so, Jordan almost picked up his third foul when taking a charge after Pippen was blown by.

Drexler, lmao the only time he guarded Drexler was when Jordan was out of the game, his main defensive assignment was Kersey/Robinson

The one in red I do agree with, not because he was a better man defender than Jordan, just due to his size giving him the ability to guard multiple positions...but I guess the same can be said about Jordan who guarded Divac at times in the 91 Finals
Lol hardly stopped? Heres how Jordan's father felt about Pippens job on Magic.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...-johnson-bulls

You are the ONLY person who feels Pippen didnt stop Magic.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #51
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,941
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
He obviously had help. But his help and how supposedly fortunate he was is greatly overstated, which is the case with a lot of the all time greats that have won multiple titles.
In what context is it "overstated"? Noone denies Jordan was the best player on the Bulls. But this isnt tennis. You dont win championships without help.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #52
bond10
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 411
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Wasn't Shaq pretty much a one man army in 2000?
bond10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #53
Jolokia
Serious playground baller
 
Jolokia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 462
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Dwyane Wade won a finals with Antoine Walker being their second leading scorer at 13.8 ppg and Shaq only averaging 13/10. Wade at ~35/4/8 is the closest thing to MJ, and I don't care what anyone says regarding the whistle. The Heat had no offense but Wade ball. Anyone who watched it knows it was damn impressive what a 24 year old did to a prime Dirk squad.
Jolokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #54
ralph_i_el
The Wizard
 
ralph_i_el's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: >implying
Posts: 4,551
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gengiskhan
Biggest F'ing Joke. MJ couldn't win a ring without Pippen.

Fact 1: 1991 NBA Champions, BULLS had only one a.k.a. Single All-star in their whole roster. His name was a SG called Michael Jeffery Jordan. rest were still 1987 -1991 "Jordanaires" (incl. Pippen)

Fact 2:In 1991, Scottie Pippen was NOT even good enough to secure all-star 2nd team spot. let alone becoming all-star starter from the East in 1991.

Fact 3:Pippen matured in 1992 season into an all-star starter & a legit threat as a complete player at both ends of the court. BUT. MJ has already won a ring by then. so pressure is off Scottie completely so he blossomed.

Fact 4: How did MJ won a ring by himself? He averaged 11.4 Asists after scoring 31.2 Pts & 6.6 Rebs[/u]

1991 NBA Finals. Besides Guarding Magic, Pippen had ZERO responsibility offensively. MJ dished out all the assists while taking over the clutch every single game & also making key steals.

Pippen was just not good enough yet in 1991. Many here FAIL to understand this very logic here.

Pippen became The Great Scottie Pippen from 1992 season NOT 1991.

& this is how MJ revolutionized the game forever. He did what bigger, taller Clyde in 1989 Finals. couldn't do as perimeter player despite having an all-star terry porter

Backcourt perimeter player like Magic needed 2 HOF all-stars to win titles.

Backcourt perimeter player like Bird needed 2 HOF all-stars to win titles
.

Michael Jordan is the only "BACKCOURT PERIMETER" player in the NBA History to win a title by himself WITHOUT any help as a lone all-star on a bulls roster.... Hence the GOAT title forever.

This feat has NEVER been repeated even to this day. that incl. LBJ etc etc

Faaking Kobe as a lone all-star on LAL roster cound'nt even make it to POs.or if he did, lost the series being up 3-1

Even though Dirk won as lone MAVs all-star in 2011 BUT he is a 7-footer playing forward in a weak era with rules in his favor.

Lone perimeter backcourt all-star will never do it again despite rules favoring him in today's era.

MJ IS THE ONLY ONE.


90-91 is before my time but pippen's line looks pretty damn good to me.
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #55
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,941
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
1991 was actually Pippen's best playoffs: 21.6ppg 8.9rpg 5.8apg 2.5spg 1.1bpg .504%fg .792%ft and led the league during the playoffs in defensive rating. Most teams would be happy to have their BEST PLAYER put up stats like that.
I think people need to let this sink in. 22/9/6/3/1 on 50% shooting. And led the playoffs in defensive rating.

And understand. He led the playoffs in defensive rating going up against Kiki Vandewghe, then Charles Barkley, Mark Aguire, and James Worthy. Obviously noone defends a guy exclusively, but these were the opposing SFs. As Smoke stated, Teams would be ecstatic if their best player had these kind of results.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #56
Burgz V2
Good college starter
 
Burgz V2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,276
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

nobody wins by himself. basketball is 5 on 5.

logic fail

thread epic fail

troll success

now where is that neg button?
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #57
Legends66NBA7
Apex
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 19,889
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Rick Barry in 1975
Hakeem Olajuwon in 1994
Tim Duncan in 2003
Dirk Nowtizki in 2011

Those are the closest anybody came in "winning it by himself" (yes, I know nobody wins it by himself). They had far inferior rosters compared to any Jordan championship team.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #58
Ne 1
College superstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,575
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

1991 Pippen:

Against the Knicks: 21/11/5/4/3 in the closeout game.
Against the Sixers: 28/8/6 in the closeout game.
Against the Pistons: Having memories of the “migraine game” fresh in his mind, Pippen had a great all-around performance in his first crack at the Pistons since that game. 18 points, 5 boards, only 2 assists but 6 steals and 5 blocks! He had 23/6/10 in the closeout game.

Against the Lakers (21/9/7 for the series):
*Game 2 of the 1991 NBA finals: After losing Game 1 the upstart Bulls suddenly stared the prospect of facing an 0-2 deficit against Magic Johnson's Lakers when Michael Jordan got into early foul trouble. Phil Jackson put Pippen on Johnson for that game and Pippen's long arms, size harassed Magic into having his worst game of the finals. http://www.basketball-reference.com/...stats_playoffs The Bulls won the game.



Quote:
”Your defense on Magic Johnson changed the fortunes of the series.”-Phil Jackson

*Game 5 of the 1991 NBA finals: 32/13/7/5, including something like 26 or 28 second half points to finish off the Lakers.
Ne 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #59
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star
 
ShaqAttack3234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,992
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Nobody wins a title by themselves, and as others have pointed out, Pippen was an all-star the previous season when he clearly wasn't as good as he was in '91. Pippen showed numerous improvements in '91 including becoming a smarter defender, a better outside shooter and taking on a greater playmaking role.

But by '90, he was already a fine all around player, just not as mature and consistent as '91. Pippen did play great through the first 2 playoff rounds in '90 as well. In fact, while it's an exaggeration, commentators during the Milwaukee series were already saying he'd be the man on most teams.

Jordan's '91 playoff run speaks for itself. Nobody questions the level he played at, or what he did for his team. You don't have to be insecure and start exaggerating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gengiskhan
If 1991 Pippen is not 2000 Kobe to Shaq

If 1991 Pippen is not 2012 Wade to LBJ

Funny because he easily had the best playoff run of the 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
Rick Barry in 1975
Hakeem Olajuwon in 1994
Tim Duncan in 2003
Dirk Nowtizki in 2011

Those are the closest anybody came in "winning it by himself" (yes, I know nobody wins it by himself). They had far inferior rosters compared to any Jordan championship team.

I don't think they necessarily came closer to winning it "by themselves." I think people overlook when teams got contributions from a bunch of different guys as opposed to 2-3 stars. Usually when teams win a title without 2 legitimate all-stars they also have a bunch of guys step up at the right times.

Last edited by ShaqAttack3234 : 02-08-2013 at 04:24 PM.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #60
Rubio2Gasol
College star
 
Rubio2Gasol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,932
Default Re: Michael Jordan WON a championship by himself. Many are just Ignorant about it on ISH

Hakeem in 94 for me is the most I've ever seen a dude carry his team.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy