Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Default Minnesota Timberwolves Reportedly Offer Loukas Mavrokefalidis A Contract

The rumor in Russia is that the Minnesota Timberwolves are trying to acquire Loukas Mavrokefalidis from the Russian club Spartak Saint Petersburg.

They would have to first move Luke Ridnour and then reach a buyout agreement with Mavrokefalidis and his club, to which the player would have to also contribute. Basically, the same type of deal that the Rockets worked out with Spartak earlier this year to get Patrick Beverley.

Anyway, the Wolves evidently are hoping they can sign Mavrokefalidis.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

Default Re: Minnesota Timberwolves Reportedly Offer Loukas Mavrokefalidis A Contract

Alright Euroleague.

Give me the run down on this guy. Is he useful? Is he good?
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
kaiteng
EXCITED

Default Re: Minnesota Timberwolves Reportedly Offer Loukas Mavrokefalidis A Contract

Clearly, the current Wolves roster is not white enough.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
JMT
NBA lottery pick

What a wonderfully run franchise.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallionaire
Alright Euroleague.

Give me the run down on this guy. Is he useful? Is he good?

Well, he's got a bit of a bad rep for being a guy that had some character issues. Like lying about injuries and family problems, trying to get out of playing....

Anyway, he is a PF.

He's EXTREMELY skilled for a guy his size (about 6-10 probably). Really, really, really skilled and polished big man. He can play as a high post guy, a face up guy, or even spread the floor, but he definitely wants to stay in the low post all the time if he can.

He's a really good low post player. He also runs the floor quite well for a guy his size.

I would say he is just OK on defense and rebounding, although he is a good shot blocker. Maybe a bit of a tweener on defense. A bit slow as a PF on defense, and a bit undersized as a C on defense.

But basically, his value is that he's extremely skilled for a big man and he has a really good low post game.

He's not a Pekovic type player that just bruises and overpowers people. He's more a finesse skills guy. He's something more like a Kevin McHale style player if you will - a guy that likes to score in the low post off of moves and footwork.

Last edited by Euroleague : 02-09-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
What a wonderfully run franchise.

Injuries, man. It's been really tough to watch as a fan. I don't mind getting a big man who is as good as EuroLeague just pointed out.

Although Roy was a bad mvoe from the beginning. Wolves shoulda paid Jamal Crawford or OJ.
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Here is some video of him. It's not a lot of clips, but at least gives some idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57dENmhkP2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1MXKxtiqDU
Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
KGMN
I score open layups

If this is true, that's awesome. I always wanted Mavrokefalidis to come over to Minnesota, but it seemed extremely unlikely. From what I know, he's been playing very well in Russia and could help the Timberwolves out.

Do you have a source by any chance that I can look at?

Last edited by KGMN : 02-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.
KGMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGMN
If this is true, that's awesome. I always wanted Mavrokefalidis to come over to Minnesota, but it seemed extremely unlikely. From what I know, he's been playing very well in Russia and could help the Timberwolves out.
Of course it isn't true. Euroleague posted it.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Sammyzuko
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
Clearly, the current Wolves roster is not white enough.
Well, they did just get more black by cutting Lou Amundson and signing Johnson and Gelabale, but I'm sure no one mentioned race when that happened.
Sammyzuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
kNicKz
word

kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Nick Young
Prophet of the Mamba

Wow, the Kevin McHale of Europe according to Euroleague. Maybe he'll even be able to average 3.8 ppg in the NBA :O
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Wow, the Kevin McHale of Europe according to Euroleague. Maybe he'll even be able to average 3.8 ppg in the NBA :O

I never said that you lying scum.

You did however call Anthony Parker a rich man's version of Michael Jordan in the NBA.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: