Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: are whole grains bad for you? (any paleo dieters here?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Where are you going to get your carbs from?

rice/potatoes
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
carbs are in most foods.

dairy products, veggies/fruit... even meat probably has some. it should never be a problem for anyone except when in some kind of bizarre radioactive zombie apocalypse.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Today's "wheat," he says, isn't even wheat, thanks to some of the most intense crossbreeding efforts ever seen. "The wheat products sold to you today are nothing like the wheat products of our grandmother's age, very different from the wheat of the early 20th Century, and completely transformed from the wheat of the Bible and earlier," he says.

Plant breeders changed wheat in dramatic ways. Once more than four feet tall, modern wheat—the type grown in 99 percent of wheat fields around the world—is now a stocky two-foot-tall plant with an unusually large seed head. Dr. Davis says accomplishing this involved crossing wheat with non-wheat grasses to introduce altogether new genes, using techniques like irradiation of wheat seeds and embryos with chemicals, gamma rays, and high-dose X-rays to induce mutations.

Anyone know how much truth there is to that?
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Honey
Sweet Potatoes
Baked Potatoes
White Rice
Brown RIce Pasta + Tomato Sauce
Corn Tortillas
Bananas
Apples
Oranges
Pears
Pineapple

EAZY. God I ****ing love carbs.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Honey
Sweet Potatoes
Baked Potatoes
White Rice
Brown RIce Pasta + Tomato Sauce
Corn Tortillas
Bananas
Apples
Oranges
Pears
Pineapple

EAZY. God I ****ing love carbs.

Oats are so easy to mix in my breakfast shake though. Cant put rice/potatoes in that shit.

Mass gain brah

And isn't honey all simple carbs?

Last edited by Balla_Status : 02-10-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #21
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Anyone know how much truth there is to that?

Honest nutritionists will tell you how little we actually know about nutrition. I think they may also realize the nutrition needs to be customized that some people may react very badly to carbohydrates and some might not and that the USDA one size fits all model might not help us.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
So all the athletes who've been eating Wheaties in the morning over the past few decades have been doing themselves a disservice?

You were fine for two years and then had an outbreak when you moved to China? What makes you think it was the gluten?

I went back to America for 2 weeks and was still getting the rashes. I can't be for sure but all the symptoms are similar besides the rashes. Next time I fly back to America I'll get checked out again.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #23
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just go to your doctor and ask for a blood test. If you come up positive for the antibodies then just avoid food with gluten. Other than that gluten is fine.

I also have some serious reservations on that article. A lot of things cause conformational changes in proteins including cooking.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #24
falc39
Good High School Starter

falc39 has decent reputation

I remember watching on the news a long time ago that you can get a special test on the best diet for you. They analyze your genes and from that and other things they can come up with what is best for your body... a personalized report. Not sure how much it costs now and stuff, but in general, I remember the news said the test will likely recommend the foods from your heritage. So for example, if your heritage is from a culture that typically likes to eat a lot of rice and fish, those likely are the better foods for your diet. If you come from a culture that have a lot of bread and pasta in their diet... you get the idea. I saw this on the news a long time ago so my memory may be a little spotty, but I found that news spot very interesting.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #25
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc39
I remember watching on the news a long time ago that you can get a special test on the best diet for you. They analyze your genes and from that and other things they can come up with what is best for your body... a personalized report. Not sure how much it costs now and stuff, but in general, I remember the news said the test will likely recommend the foods from your heritage. So for example, if your heritage is from a culture that typically likes to eat a lot of rice and fish, those likely are the better foods for your diet. If you come from a culture that have a lot of bread and pasta in their diet... you get the idea. I saw this on the news a long time ago so my memory may be a little spotty, but I found that news spot very interesting.
you mean the ER4YBT diet? (eat right for your blood type)
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
.........what i know for sure.........

- i've lost about 35lbs just cutting way down on grains and sugars of all kinds. eat anytime i feel like it now and don't gain any weight.

- whole grains are at least a good fiber experience, so i do treat myself to them every few days and don't feel too badly about it. examples-- air-popped popcorn, brown basmati, steel-cut oats.

- i like to try to REASON out the likelihood of modern humans being grain-eaters.... i.e. are we really designed to eat grains, or aren't we? this is a useful exercise because we know that the longer an organism eats a food in evolutionary terms, the more adapted it will be to that food, i.e. healthier.

for example, bamboo is one of the most ridiculous kinds of food in the world to try to absorb nutrients from, and yet a whole species of bear (pandas) somehow got adapted to eating it. even though it's such poor fare that they have to eat all day long in order to survive. but considering that they started as carnivores/omnivores, it's pretty impressive.

in any case, grains are pretty tricky food for most animals to eat because of the outer hull. first, the problem of removing it, then (for man) the problem of storing the perishable interiors. it requires tools, planning, proper storage... even high food science in turning it into the cadillac of grain-food, i.e. bread.

so, long story short... i doubt that humans were eating grains for very long.

the fact that our insulin tends to jump all around when we eat them now tends to reinforce that. the fact that grains and sugars in essence are diabetic timebombs.

- i noticed some kind of research study lately which proposed that as little as 10,000 years may have been enough time for man to have properly (more or less) adapted towards grains as healthy foods. that would be roughly the correct amount of time that man was picking grain berries, grinding them and making bread-like stuff... yeast and non-yeast varieties.

so there's a conflict right there... those last two points, you know?

i definitely need to do more research on this!

great post Gigantes. I went on a pseudo paleo diet last summer. i didn't totally quit the grains or anything, but I did cut it down tremendously. i'm asian so quitting rice was like....WTF my life sucks. what i did was cut my intake by nearly 3/4. so that means only half a small bowl of rice instead of 2 and just a littlebit of bread when i eat a sandwich. carbs was not really a problem, i never felt tired and was still able to keep up the intensity of my workouts. i also only eat brown rice and whole wheat multigrain bread so i'm sure that helps.

my results where pretty good, i was as lean as I had ever been, friends were commenting that I was getting bruce lee levels of shredness. the only problem was i had wanted to gain another 10-15 pounds of muscle and that was pretty much impossible. i'm getting back on that diet now since pool weather is coming up.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you are bulking up then grains are a godsend but if you are trying to lose fat then you should cut them out. Regular diet includes a relatively small amount of grains
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #28
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
you mean the ER4YBT diet? (eat right for your blood type)

Not sold on that.

Know WAYYYYY too many A's who do very well on meat, know way too many B's who can eat chicken and nightshades, and know a few O vegans who are getting by well.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #29
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Honest nutritionists will tell you how little we actually know about nutrition. I think they may also realize the nutrition needs to be customized that some people may react very badly to carbohydrates and some might not and that the USDA one size fits all model might not help us.

this...and this...
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #30
timlush
I brick open layups

timlush has an OK reputation so far

Anyone know of any food/nutrition forums that discuss topics similar to this on a more regular basis?
timlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: