Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board
Default Re: 2011 Mavs: Biggest underdogs to ever win a ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Naw, Bullets and Sonics were both 40 win teams in the Finals.

I'd say the 95 Rockets.

Mavs had one less win the the Heat that season.

k

Excuse me while I bump threads having the Mavs lose to the Blazers in the 1st round.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Naw, Bullets and Sonics were both 40 win teams in the Finals.

I'd say the 95 Rockets.

Mavs had one less win the the Heat that season.

as well as the same record as the defending champ Lakers
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
k

Excuse me while I bump threads having the Mavs lose to the Blazers in the 1st round.
Only people from ISH had them losing to the Blazers, lol.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
k

Had more to do with the Mavs reputation than anything...

We're talking about a team that failed over and over in the playoffs. ie. nobody had faith in them.

People did notice how deep they were. especially after trading for Peja midseason. just didn't take them seriously (who would?)
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #20
jrong
Revolution untelevised

jrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation here

This series still haunts me. There's nothing to say about LBJ's play that hasn't been said a million times, but, beyond that, Spo's coaching was abominable. The gobsmackingly stupid decision to put Bosh on Dirk at the end of Game 2-- same situation in Game 3, Haslem is on him and gets the stop.

But, even more than that, Spo let JJ Barea change that series when he became a starter. Any semi-competent JV coach would have moved Wade to point, and punished the hell out of the Mavs for that move. A few quick post-ups and Barea would've been sent right back to the bench.

Plus, for some unknown reason, he didn't play JJ, who is exactly the type of shooter that could've broken that series open.

Last edited by jrong : 02-10-2013 at 10:36 PM.
jrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #21
kenny817
Good High School Starter

kenny817 is popular on this boardkenny817 is popular on this boardkenny817 is popular on this boardkenny817 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
Son, what year were you born? Honest question.

The 95 Rockets who were a 7th seed and battled through nothing but 50 win teams on the road take this cake. The Mavs were never underdogs, they simply just grasped what they choked away a few years earlier. Dirk still owes that bike a injury settlement.

Ummm...we were picked to lose in every single round of the playoffs by the "experts"

Negged
kenny817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #22
no pun intended
Mozart Basketball

no pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDensity
They played well beyond their collective ability. The entire team basically caught fire for the entire playoffs and could not miss.

You could put the entire team back together, in their exact 2011 form (i.e. pretend they did not age) and it would be highly unlikely they could ever replicate that performance. They would be a formidable playoff team and nothing more.

They were as close to a "cinderalla" team as you will ever see in the NBA.
This.

Sometimes I feel that their championship run deserves a bit more respect. Aside from their hot shooting, their defense was beyond incredible.
no pun intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady6121
2004 Pistons
Since I began watching basketball in 1990, I think the '04 Pistons definitely have a strong case for being the biggest underdogs to ever win a ring. I think the Mavericks would be next in line. The 1995 Rockets seem like a good pick in theory, as they were a middling sixth seed coming into the playoffs. However, they were accepted as being more than formidable by the time they reached the final round, as god mode Hakeem took his team through Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, and David Robinson en route. To a lesser extent, the Mavs also established themselves throughout the playoffs, making relatively quick work of Kobe and KD in back to back rounds.

Conversely, even as the Pistons entered the NBA Finals, it was more or less accepted they could not score. They won their four games in the Eastern Conference Finals with scores of 72, 85, 83 and 69. It didn't seem anyone wanted to account for pace and defense. I mean, they'd say, "Yeah, the Pistons are great defensively" but then they'd follow up with, "They just can't score though."

Then, on the other side, a team of destiny awaited them. Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Gary Payton, and Karl Malone. Most treated it as a foregone conclusion that L.A. would make quick work of Detroit in four or five games, perhaps defeating them 100-70 each game because that's pretty much how many points each team averaged in the conference finals. I often bring this up, but I still remember an analyst, with a straight face, foreeeing a convincing Finals victory for the Lakers because when they won the Western Conference, Karl Malone and his teammates didn't celebrate. Meanwhile, the Pistons did celebrate, so apparently they weren't "all business" and subsequently wouldn't have what it took to win.

I see a lot of similarities between those Dallas and Detroit runs. History has seemed to treat the '04 Pistons quite well but at the time, no one really entertained the idea of Detroit doing what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
If anything, it proves that:

A) public perception doesn't mean shit

and

B) paper match ups don't mean shit
That was one of the realizations I came to after '04. I used to be relatively trusting of the word of analysts. But all that pre-finals talk of Lakers domination (due to their offensive firepower) just didn't add up for me. I kept thinking, "But the Pistons have been on one of the best defensive runs in NBA history. Don't these same people always say 'defense wins championships'?" It's a little crazy to think it took that long to come to that realization.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-10-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: