Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Basketball Fan
Local High School Star

Basketball Fan has decent reputationBasketball Fan has decent reputation
Default Jay Williams said he attempted suicide after the motorcycle crash that ended his care

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ok-his-career/

Quote:
Jay Williams says he attempted suicide after motorcycle crash that took his career
Kurt Helin Feb 9, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
23 Comments

Getty Images
It was one of the NBAís most discussed tragedies ó No. 2 pick of the Chicago Bulls Jay Williams, a college legend and a guy who after one season looked like a rookie with potential at the point, crashed his motorcycle, destroyed his leg and never played again.

Nearly a decade removed from the accident, Williams reflected on it and his life afterward in a powerful piece of writing in the New York Times by Greg Bishop.

To go from national champion at Duke and future face of the Chicago Bulls to a guy who might never walk again, to a guy who had the game he was driven to play taken away from him ó and with nobody to blame but himself ó would be hard for anyone to live with. And Williams was honest about not wanting to live at some points.

At his lowest point, Williams did more than consider suicide. ďI remember lying in my bed,Ē he said. ďAnd Iím just tired of being here. I didnít want to be here anymore. I was so afraid to face people. And I didnít really know who I was. And I didnít really want anybody to see me. And I didnít want to talk to anybody. I didnít want to talk about it.Ē

Williams glanced at his mother, Althea Williams, as he recounted the story. He continued: ďI mean, to the point where I sat there, and I had this pair of scissors in my hand. I just kept going on my wrist. I wasnít trying to go sideways. I was going vertical. I didnít want to be here. At all.Ē

It was his mother that stopped him and it was her that made sure he didnít go there again. She is still a crucial and close part of his life.

Go read the entire story, a few paragraphs canít do it justice. As he says, heís moved on and he doesnít want pity. Williams got all the way back to the D-League but realized it was not going to go beyond that, his body wouldnít let it. An adjustment from that would not be easy for anyone.

He works for ESPN as a college analyst and he lives a good life. One different than he imagined, but a good one. As a fan of the game itís hard not to think about what might have been for him. But itís hard not to be happy for him that he has found his peace with everything.
Basketball Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Jay Williams said he attempted suicide after the motorcycle crash that ended his care

Quite an interesting read. I gave his rookie statistics a look and I always thought they were better than they really were. Did he finish the year strong or something? 9.5ppg on 40% shooting seems mediocre but I have good memories of his NBA season. Maybe I'm just off.

Either way, I didn't know the accident occurred in the manner in which it did. I also didn't know the full extent of his injuries:

Quote:
The leg resembled a map of Williamsís lost years: remnants of 10-plus operations; marks from the 100 staples; a scar that ran from pelvis to ankle; smaller divots from the numerous knee scopes. Williams sustained a total knee dislocation in the accident. He tore every ligament. He dislocated his pelvis. He ripped through a nerve in his left foot that took a year to regenerate, the pain comparable to that of childbirth, so severe it would wake Williams in the middle of the night. He severed an artery. He tore the hamstring from the bone.

As he lay in the hospital, his leg atrophied. He lost muscle, then tone, until the leg withered away and looked to Williams like a pencil, or a toothpick. Doctors told Williams he might never again be able to get an erection, despite all the pictures of scantily clad, beautiful women his friends jokingly left during hospital visits.

Thanks for the link.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Knicksfever2010
Decent college freshman

Knicksfever2010 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKnicksfever2010 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Jay Williams said he attempted suicide after the motorcycle crash that ended his care

duke players NEVER become superstars in the nba (except for grant hill)
Knicksfever2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Haymaker
College star

Haymaker has decent reputationHaymaker has decent reputation

Wow. Bobby Hurley was another sad story.
Haymaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Quite an interesting read. I gave his rookie statistics a look and I always thought they were better than they really were. Did he finish the year strong or something? 9.5ppg on 40% shooting seems mediocre but I have good memories of his NBA season. Maybe I'm just off.
He had at least one triple-double and some promising moments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
If he isn't yet Kyrie Irving will be.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
TylerOO
Back in Cleveland!

TylerOO has decent reputationTylerOO has decent reputation

Quote:

Maybe not superstars, but there are a lot of good NBA players to come outta Duke
TylerOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketball Fan

Thanks for the read. Wow that was interesting. Just glad that he did not cross that line to actually commit the act. It had to be rough on him. It makes you really appreciate the time that you have on earth because Tomorrow is never promised, so live for today. Put your ego aside, open your eyes to who and what's around you. You are loved. You are cared for. You are blessed, always remember that and it appeared that Jay realized that as well.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
SAKOTXA
College superstar

SAKOTXA is popular on this boardSAKOTXA is popular on this boardSAKOTXA is popular on this boardSAKOTXA is popular on this board

Quote:
Give Kyrie 1 more year.
SAKOTXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

Didn't Jay Williams change his name from "Jason" to "Jay" in order to differentiate himself from White Chocolate and the Limo driver killer?

Also heard he got his bachelor's degree in 3 years and took running start while in HS. So basketball wise and academic wise, he exhausted all of what Duke had to offer.

Last edited by 9512 : 02-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
Didn't Jay Williams change his name from "Jason" to "Jay" in order to differentiate himself from White Chocolate and the Limo driver killer?

Also heard he got his bachelor's degree in 3 years and took running start while in HS. So basketball wise and academic wise, he exhausted all of what Duke had to offer.
I don't think he ever legally changed it. I think that was mentioned in the article. I believe he just began having folks refer to him as "Jay" instead of Jason for the reasons you mentioned. Jason "White Chocolate" Williams was pretty hot at the time and so was Jayson Limo Williams, but for different reasons.

I didn't know about the bachelor-degree-in-three-years thing until I read the article. Impressive.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

great article, definitely worth reading.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
DMV2
Keep on Rockin in...

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKOTXA
Give Kyrie 1 more year.
How many games did Kyrie actually played for Duke, like 10 games if I recall correctly. If it wasn't for the stupid 19 years old rule, he wouldn't have step foot in college.

---
As for Jay Williams, I wouldn't call it a tragedy when the guy made a stupid, stupid decision. He knows how dangerous motorcycles are, and had 10-15 years left of an NBA career to fulfill.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: